Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Stamp Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Sir Francis Chichester - Flight Across the Tasman 1931  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
SCF Advertiser

Philippines
64 Posts
Posted 09/29/2017   08:29 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add cddstamps to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

I hope you enjoy seeing this envelope and the following little bit of history associated with the flight and the aviator.

An Australia Post prepaid envelope commemorating the 50th Anniversary of Sir Francis Chichester's solo flight across the Tasman Sea from New Zealand to Australia in his modified (as a sea plane) de Havilland dh60 Gipsy Moth bi-plane. His flight was the first to complete the east to west flight across the Tasman. Another amazing aviation achievement.

This from the Lord Howe Island Museum: On 31 March 1931 Francis Chichester set out from the Northern tip of New Zealand to attempt the first solo crossing of the Tasman Sea from East to West by aeroplane, in his floatplane Madam Elijah ZK-AKK. He had to island-hop to Norfolk Island and Lord Howe Island to fuel the aircraft. He landed at Lord Howe Island late on the afternoon of 1st April and moored his seaplane in the lagoon. Next morning he awoke to a gale, and the sight of his aircraft upside down. With the help of the island men and women he repaired the aircraft over a period of 9 weeks, and continued to Jervis Bay, south of Sydney on 10th June. This was quite a feat, when on the island at that time there were no motor vehicles, let alone experienced aircraft mechanics.

Perhaps what is even more interesting about his flight was the belief that he had seen a UFO (Unidentified Flying Object). Such a term was not known back in 1931 but Chichester's later account of his experience is of a UFO. This from his book, "The Lonely Sea and the Sky", recalling his flight after take-off from Lord How Island June 10th 1931

"Round the storm we flew into calm air under a weak lazy sun. I took out the sextant and got two shoots. It took me thirty minutes to work them out, for the engine kept back firing, and my attention wandered every time it did..."
"Suddenly, ahead and thirty degrees to the left, there were bright flashes in several places, like the dazzle of a heliograph. I saw a dull grey-white airship coming towards me. It seemed impossible, but I could have sworn that it was an airship, nosing towards me like an oblong pearl. Except for a cloud or two, there was nothing else in the sky."

"I looked around, sometimes catching a flash or a glint, and turning again to look at the airship I found it had disappeared. I screwed up my eyes, unable to believe them, and twisted the seaplane this way and that, thinking that the airship must be hidden by a blind spot. Dazzling flashes continued in four or five different places, but I could not pick out any planes."
"Then, out of some clouds to my right front, I saw another, or the same, airship advancing. I watched it intently, determined not to look away for a fraction of a second: I'd see what happened to this one, if I had to chase it. It drew steadily closer, until perhaps a mile away, when suddenly it vanished. Then it reappeared, close to where it had vanished: I watched with angry intentness. It drew closer, and I could see the dull gleam of light on its nose and back. It came on, but instead of increasing in size, it diminished as it approached. When quite near, it suddenly became its own ghost - one second I could see through it, and the next it had vanished. I decided that it could only be a diminutive cloud, perfectly shaped like an airship and then dissolving, but it was uncanny that it should exactly resume the same shape after it once vanished."

"I turned towards the flashes, but those too had vanished. All this was many years before anyone spoke of flying saucers. Whatever it was I saw, it seems to have been very much like what people have since claimed to be flying saucers."

Enjoy your aerophilately Have a UFO free weekend Michael

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
5618 Posts
Posted 09/29/2017   08:43 am  Show Profile Check Petert4522's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Michael, did you mean to post this twice? If you want to delete one, please send note to staff,

Peter
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by Petert4522 - 09/29/2017 08:44 am
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
What's on your wall? Check out our handmade, screen printed stamp art. Perfect for your collector room, office and more. Buy online today!Bid Online on Live auctions. Stamps, Coins, Fine Art, Jewelery, Collectibles, Antique, Furniture, Wines & Spirits, Collector Cars, Fashion.Promoting the integrity of internet philatelic dealers. Please join us so buyers can buy with confidence.Genuine H.E. Harris products and quality postage stamps at www.whitman.com. POSTAGE STAMPS, STAMP ALBUMS & ANNUAL SUPPLEMENTS!United States Postal Service, Now on eBay!
New Forum TopicsRecently Active Forum Topics
  Help with these stamps from Bolivia!!
  Newfoundland stamp - First stamp ever of Princess Elizabeth
  Upcoming Harmer-Schau auction at APS show
  Big Blue scott intnl album part I on ebay
  Hungary 1959 postal exhibition matchbox labels?
  Simmy's Grading Upcoming Harmers International Auction
  Help with more info!!!
  KGV 1911 card to South Africa
  Can Anyone Identify This Blurry Darling?
  what qualified this One Penny stamp for such a value?
  July 20 QUIZ: How's Your Eye for Detail?
  POW Christmas card to Germany
  Is there any chance this stamp is a Scott #596?
  Interesting postal history - India stamp (tried to be) used in Hong Kong in 1968.
  $2 Columbian Pane of 100 MNH Back on the Block
  Round Corners what size punch
  New ebay handling fee?
  Help needed: USS Maine private print on postal stationery card 1898
  US Scott # 219, 219D, 220, 220a, 220c, 221, 222, 223, 225, 226, 229 + 16 Dupes!
  An example of where part-perf. first issue revenue stamps could come from
  2c Carmine Washington
  $1 Totem Pole single for $65 on Ebay !!!
  Montserrat : On Steiner Pages.
  color on 25 or 26, brown/plum? on cover
  3c pink color challenge

Bugs, Insects, & Creepy Crawlies
  Help with these stamps from Bolivia!!
  Monaco Stamp Engravers
  KGV 1911 card to South Africa
  $1 Totem Pole single for $65 on Ebay !!!
  Big Blue scott intnl album part I on ebay
  Simmy's Grading Upcoming Harmers International Auction
  Newfoundland stamp - First stamp ever of Princess Elizabeth
  3c pink color challenge
  bullseye and socked on nose cancels
  Stamp Smarter July Contest
  Checks Mix... it's tasty!
  do these worth anything?
  POW Christmas card to Germany
  Catalog numbers for the Los Angeles Liquor License Tax stamps of 1933?
  Has Anyone Used Redpoint Auction Platform?
  color on 25 or 26, brown/plum? on cover
  COMPEX 2018: I came, I saw, I... was sorely disappointed.
  3c 1851 Plating Help (probably plate 6-8), please
  New hazard at PayPal
  My first APS stampshow
  Upcoming Harmer-Schau auction at APS show
  what qualified this One Penny stamp for such a value?
  Interesting postal history - India stamp (tried to be) used in Hong Kong in 1968.
  Round Corners what size punch

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.29 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05