Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Non-advertising Prexie Covers

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1043 Posts
Posted 10/15/2017   10:33 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Hal to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi John,

Please take a look towards the bottom of Page 2 for the group of 3 Censored Post Cards where I have the following note above the cards:

Quote:
Please, I NEED YOUR HELP. I have two (2) cards with the exact same red boxed 'RELEASED BY CENSOR" HANDSTAMP cancelled on 8/25 and 9/5; both cards addressed to Germany.
I have seen them no where else. The marking does not appear in, "CIVIL CENSORSHIP IN THE UNITED STATES DURING WAORLD WAR II", by Broderick & Mayo.

And THANKS for pointing out the Columbia-Ielfield machine cancel. Even though I have the books and have studied them, I've always have a hard time discerning a Columbia-Ielfield cancel. And YES, I see the Waves are going down versus Up.

Are you a member of the PREXIE STUDY GROUP?

Best,
Hal
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by Hal - 10/15/2017 10:37 pm
Pillar Of The Community
2392 Posts
Posted 10/16/2017   11:38 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hal,
About half way down page 2 of this thread, you ask about this censor marking:

You suggest that it is not British, however in my limited references to WWII-era censorship, the only reference I can find right now is the scan above in the British section in this book:

Between pages 83 and 91, the authors note that "On August 28, 1939 censorship regulations under the Emergency Powers Act were published. Outward-bound mail, mail from protected areas of the I.K., incoming mail, mail brought into the country by travelers and business mail were subject to examination .... The censorship office in London censored all airmail and surface mail to and from neutral countries in Europe and the rest of the world with the exception of the mail to and from the United States of America, China and Japan which was examined at Liverpool."

A calendar of events on page 83 notes that the war between Germany and the UK breaks out on Sept 3, 1939, and the US protested against thee examination of neutral mail on Dec 27, 1939.

Two variants of the boxed mail exist, this one with "Censored" text not as wide as the text above it (for commercial mail), and a second type introduced later with "censored" equal in width to the text above (for philatelic mail). Examples of both box types are currently on eBay including this one - of the type matching yours, with a pencil notation that it is British censorship.

Here is another piece which recently sold on eBay for $45. The description reads, in part: "The postcard is dated August 16, 1939, and it was written on board the ship near Colon in the U.S. Canal Zone and sent to Hamburg, Germany. It is postmarked with a cancellation clearly reading Aug. 21, 1939 at what appears to be 6 p.m. and is franked using one 3c (Scott CZ 122) stamp. It also has a boxed red "Released by Censor" cancel which was applied in the U.K. (H3B), which is scarce with little use."

I suspect others with more military postal history experience will be able to build on this - especially if they have the book which catalogs the mark as "H3B".
Edited by John Becker - 10/16/2017 12:22 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1043 Posts
Posted 10/16/2017   9:44 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Hal to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

John…that is a GREAT help.

That makes a total of 4 usages I've seen in 40+ years of collecting Prexies. It must be a scarce mark. I've only seen usages on post cards to Germany. I will change my write-up. Thank you again.

Best,
Hal
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1043 Posts
Posted 10/16/2017   10:58 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Hal to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
REVISED PAGES - THANKS AGAIN, JOHN!

More Prexie Usages on the way
Pillar Of The Community
2392 Posts
Posted 10/17/2017   10:44 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The September 1995 American Philatelist contained the following illustration in the "Sales Talk" column:

Shortly thereafter, I visited APS in (then) State College. The cover was still in the circuit books, so I bought it.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
1043 Posts
Posted 10/17/2017   2:34 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Hal to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Now that's a different type of tri-sect, if not a unique one, from any period. I would buy it too! That is really funny.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1043 Posts
Posted 10/17/2017   5:48 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Hal to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
17c -1 oz PUAS RATE TO SOUTH AMERICA (10c-1st 1/2oz/7c each add'l 1/2oz)

18c RATE (3c - 1oz Domestic Postage + 15c REGISTRY FEE)

18c SOLO - 3c - 1oz Domestic Postage + 15c REGISTRY FEE

18c SOLO - EX-HUSS ESTATE

19c RATE - 6c/2oz Domestic Postage + 13c SPECIAL DELIVERY

19c RATE/16c RATE - DUAL USAGE CARD

20c RATE - 3rd Cls Book, Catalog, PLANTING RATE + 15c SPECIAL DEL)
Blue Pencil Note: 1.30PM- 'SPECIAL DELIVERY FEE CLAIMED" AT PORTLAND, ORE. MAY 11, 1939

20C RATE= 5c INTERNATIONAL SURFACE RATE + 15c INTERNATIONAL REGISTRY FEE on DUAL CENSORED (BRITISH/GERMAN) COVER
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1043 Posts
Posted 10/17/2017   11:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Hal to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
21c SOLO USAGE

21c 6c DOMESTIC AIRMAIL+ 15c SPECIAL DELIVERY - MISSENT

23c 5c+3c (2oz) UPU INT'L SURFACE LETTER RATE + 15C INTERNATIONAL REGISTRY FEE

23c RATE - 3c 1oz DOMESTIC LETTER RATE + 20C SPECIAL DELIVERY FEE (E18-17cl

23c/23c DOUBLE-SIDE TAG- 4th CLASS PARCEL POST TAG

24c SOLO USAGE 8c TRIPLE WEIGHT AIRMAIL

24c REGISTERED AIRMAIL-RETURN RECEIPT REQUESTED TO F.D.R.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
1043 Posts
Posted 10/18/2017   01:35 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Hal to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I hope others will post their Prexie-period covers,or any Rate Period, with solo or multiple or mixed issues usages on this thread for review and discussion. Your post may be a cover, wrapper, a question on a rate, marking or usage.Lets show not only the boring and the unusual ALL covers are matter. and have a history. As you've seen on a few pages back, I made a mistake on a few pages and I greatly appreciated how John Beecker was able to point out the problem and I was able to change the pages immediately. Those corrections make me a better philatelist and by the end of this, I'll probably owe John and his wife a beautiful bottle of Vino over diner while we talk over even more stamps. So Ask questions. Show what you have and keep this thread growing. At some point we can start a new three discussing on Prexie Precancels. and Prexies uprating the postal stationary of the Period. Other topics could include, "Pexie First Day Issues Stamps & Covers & related Services. Another Area if Prexie Precancel Stamps - Bureau Brinted vs Local Printed & Town & Type Singles & Types, First Day Covers; Perfin Covers; First Flight Covers; CAM/FAM Contract Mail; etc., etc. (Apology to all that read this before editing - I should never write anything after 2AM - I started falling asleep at the keyboard and made a real mess of this one.)
Edited by Hal - 10/18/2017 4:39 pm
Valued Member
United States
306 Posts
Posted 10/18/2017   4:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mml1942 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hal:

I've enjoyed viewing the covers and write-ups in this thread, and must continue to stifle the urge to collect the area myself.

I only wish the image file size limit would have allowed you to post higher resolution scans. My poor old eyes had trouble with some of the fine print. Or maybe a case of "Too much philately makes your eyes fuzzy?"

Mike
Learn More...
7560 Posts
Posted 10/18/2017   4:22 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
If Hal likes, I can repost higher resolution images of his exhibit on Stamp Smarter.
Don
Pillar Of The Community
2392 Posts
Posted 10/18/2017   4:23 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Prexy genealogy:

Father John Adams and son John Quincy Adams combine to pay the 8 cent domestic airmail rate of March 26, 1944 - September 30, 1946.

Grandfather William Henry Harrison and grandson Benjamin Harrison combine on a 1949 registered cover (3 cents postage, 25 cents registry fee, and 5 cents return receipt fee).

Pillar Of The Community
United States
1043 Posts
Posted 10/18/2017   4:53 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Hal to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
If Hal likes, I can repost higher resolution images of his exhibit on Stamp Smarter.
Don

THANK YOU! , Don…

that would quite an honor. Stamp Smarter happens to be my favorite website. I refer to it and send friends to it constantly. Please contact me at my e-mail to discuss.

Best regards,
Hal
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1043 Posts
Posted 10/18/2017   4:58 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Hal to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you! MML1942 and thanks for John for post the "father & son" and the "grandfather & grandson" combo covers - they are GREAT ideas for pages. My next move is to my dupe box to search.
Pillar Of The Community
1322 Posts
Posted 10/21/2017   08:19 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add blcjr to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here's an intersection of "prexie" covers with my interest in airmail FDC's:

Scott #C32, the 5c airmail shown on these covers, was issued on Sept 25, 1946. But the new airmail rate of 5c, a decrease from 8c, did not become effective until Oct 1, 1946. So to get the FDOI cancellation the covers had to have at least 8c to meet the existing airmail rate. Most often FDC's for this issue have two (or more) of the new 5c stamps to meet the 8c rate, as shown in the bottom cover. Less often but not uncommon are FDC's of C32 on the newly issued #UC14 5c embossed envelope.

Occasionally there are C32 FDC's such as the two shown here which use a three cent stamp to provide the exact 8c required to get the FDOI cancellation.

Basil
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.28 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05