Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Stamp Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

UV Light Question - Useful Life  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member

Canada
192 Posts
Posted 11/13/2017   11:37 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add itma to your friends list  Get a Link to this Message
I'm not sure if this is the correct topic category for this question, but here goes.

Do the bulbs in UV lights deteriorate over time, requiring them to be replaced periodically. If so, what would the useful life typically be?

I use a Raytech LS-4 unit with filters for short and long wavelengths.

Frank.
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
4820 Posts
Posted 11/13/2017   11:47 am  Show Profile Check Petert4522's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, they do. The life depends on the bulb used, and if you can still find the bulb number ( imprinted on the glass tube ) you can look up the manufacturer's specifications.
As a real life example of a bulb going bad - go to any large office building or warehouse with rows and rows of fluorescent lights. You will see a very noticeable difference not only in light output but also in color. This is due to the age of the bulb. The same is true for Cathode Ray Tubes and to a lesser extend for solid state displays. Nothing lasts forever.

Peter
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
Canada
10 Posts
Posted 11/14/2017   11:39 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bicolor1875 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
ac uv bulbs are more efficient. I explore batches under desklamp ...
https://www.ebay.ca/sch/Light-Bulbs...045573.m1684

4watt bulbs are useless
Edited by bicolor1875 - 11/14/2017 11:40 am
Learn More...
3950 Posts
Posted 11/14/2017   2:05 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Rated Average Lamp Life is typically said to be between 6000 and 8000 hours but much like Ďacid free paper' this is a bunch of marketing fluff. Bulb life is greatly shortened by power cycles (turning on and off) and even physical events like impacts. (This is why you want to buy your lights and bulbs direct from manufacturers.) So consumers are left pretty much left to figure out if their lamps are actually working well or not.
If your lamp is over a year or two old and you are having difficulty, it would be prudent to replace the bulb.
Don
Valued Member
Canada
192 Posts
Posted 11/14/2017   3:05 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add itma to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Well my LS-4 has been "bouncing around" in my work area for the past 6 or 7 years (since the last bulb replacement). Although I am sure it has nowhere near 5000 hours under its belt, I have lately felt that it really doesn't illuminate the subject or the mind as it should. In particular, it is hard, even on a 6-panel booklet pane, to get an even fluorescent exposure. Perhaps bicolor is correct in saying that 4 watts just doesn't cut it. RayTech also has a 7 watt model. Do you think this would be a major improvement? I looked at the link to the eBay search you provided but that seemed mainly for sterilization and other non-philatelic uses. I would like to have a lamp which can work on both short and longwave ranges individually and at the same time.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
4820 Posts
Posted 11/14/2017   3:28 pm  Show Profile Check Petert4522's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I do not really know why you ask if 7 watt is better than 4 watt. Take a 40 watt lightbulb and see the difference with a 60 watt one. Of course it is better. I use a 4 watt battery job for road work, but if I really want to look at tagging I use an 11 watt lamp

Peter
Valued Member
Canada
192 Posts
Posted 11/14/2017   3:39 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add itma to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Peter:

You are right, of course, and perhaps this was a bad choice of words on my part. Perhaps I should have asked whether a 7 watt unit would provide a sufficient improvement, given my needs which relate to papers and coatings rather than tagging.

Frank.
Edited by itma - 11/14/2017 3:42 pm
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
United States Postal Service, Now on eBay!United States Postal Service, Now on eBay!
New Forum TopicsRecently Active Forum Topics
  Scott 27 6C LQ what a mess!
  Are these stamps and stamp cancellations?
  HOW TO DETECT FAKES AND FORGERIES ON WORLD COVERS Link
  Are these even cosidered stamps..??
  Show us your Turkey's on stamps
  Otoman Empire / Turkey revenues?
  Help with 2 China stamps
  need help identifing scott cat number
  Need help identifying 1888 cancel on a 2 cent Washington stamp still on envelope
  Belgium Postage Due Lion Types.
  The extreme of laziness? (RB52)
  Kuk Militar Post Question and Please Help Id Another Stamp I Can't Read
  Bill Steiner System Hacked
  Japanese report/documents c.1928. Any philatelic relevance?
  1934 USA Park Stamps Real or fake?
  Is this 5 cent Columbian cut square U350a?
  Is this a "unicorn" stamp or just wishful thinking?
  So ebay people sell customized stamps as if they were collectible?
  Revenue Stamps Collecting and Value
  QV 1896 Army Official Postmark Help
  US Washington 3c identity help
  Is this technically superb?
  Delcampe Vs Ebay, Am I missing something?
  Stamps cancelled with pen squiggles
  Is this category in the best forum?

What Was in YOUR Mailbox Today??
  Scott 27 6C LQ what a mess!
  Are these stamps and stamp cancellations?
  I inherited my Uncle's huge collection of stamps, thought you might enjoy seeing some of it
  Traditional Costumes Worldwide
  Any interest in world Postal Stationery?
  Kiloware Purchase... Not sure if
  HOW TO DETECT FAKES AND FORGERIES ON WORLD COVERS Link
  Having Trouble Identifying this Stamp - Appears to be Imperforate
  Coil Test Strips
  Otoman Empire / Turkey revenues?
  Hanukkah stamps issued today (November 14th) and immediately recalled
  Are these even cosidered stamps..??
  Belgium Postage Due Lion Types.
  The Stamps of Turkey : On Steiner Pages.
  Scott 441 flat plate coil paste-up?
  Help with 2 China stamps
  Is this a fake I grill?
  Holiday Give-Away #1
  Show us your Turkey's on stamps
  Christmas Around the World 2017
  Stamp Inventory Programs
  Is this 5 cent Columbian cut square U350a?
  Holiday Give-Away #2
  Holiday Give-Away #3

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2017 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2005 - 2017 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.68 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05