Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

1c 1851 Plate 1-late Stamps

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 23
Pillar Of The Community
United States
904 Posts
Posted 08/23/2019   04:24 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jaxom100 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here is one that was easily narrowed down to two positions. However, these two positions are nearly identical. The stamp is relief A, double recut top and double recut (EC) bottom. The only two positions that match those requirements are 52L1L and 79L1L. Then I noticed the guide dot from the stamp above (42L1L or 69L1L). Looking at these two stamps, it became obvious that the stamp is position 79L1L.

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1677 Posts
Posted 08/23/2019   11:00 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add txstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I agree, 79L1L.
The top inner line recut on 79L does not completely cover the P in POSTAGE, whereas on 52L it does.
I agree that the 69L1L guide dot is a give-away.
I had several copies of that position, and its a big dot.
69L1E also shows the big dot.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
904 Posts
Posted 08/25/2019   2:01 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jaxom100 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This stamp is relief A, single recut top and double recut (EC) bottom. Indication of stamp on right eliminates column 10. The only two positions that match those requirements are 53L1L and 72R1L. Looking at position 72R1L, the EC recut at bottom seems to dip low and give more of an angled impression. Position 53L1L has an EC recut that matches better. On 53L1L there are two plating marks between Orns A and B that seem to match the examples shown on Doporto's site (image 2). I would consider this one as a good match for 53L1L.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
904 Posts
Posted 08/25/2019   3:02 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jaxom100 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This stamp is a relief T or relief B. The heavy cancellation makes a quick relief ID difficult. I am leaning toward relief T. Stamp to right eliminates column 10. It is single recut top and double EC recut at bottom. This narrows it down to 16 positions. As I notice the stamp to the right is lower, this eliminates 2nd and 7th column on left pane and 4th, 6th, and 8th columns on right pane. This drops it to 12 positions. As I start checking for plating marks, it becomes evident that the first position that I checked is a match, 6L1L.

Edited by jaxom100 - 08/25/2019 3:14 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1173 Posts
Posted 08/25/2019   8:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add dudley to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Agreed, 6L1L. The degree of incompleteness of Ornament U and completeness of Ornament Z together point right away to Relief T.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
904 Posts
Posted 08/25/2019   10:16 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jaxom100 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Dudley. Do you also agree with the 53L1L?

The 6L1L was a good example to show how to narrow down choices.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1677 Posts
Posted 08/26/2019   12:31 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add txstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
53L1L looks correct to me.
I see the dots between ornament A & B.
The EC recut on 72R is more jagged, and does not appear to match.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1173 Posts
Posted 08/27/2019   2:40 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add dudley to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with 53L1L. The bottom recut does not look like 72R1L.
Page: of 23 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.53 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05