Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

1c 1851 Plate 1-Late Stamps

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 420 / Views: 38,526Next Topic
Page: of 28
Pillar Of The Community
United States
933 Posts
Posted 09/13/2020   4:57 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jaxom100 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I marked this last one in the books as 54L1L.
I am getting real close to the half way mark.
Plating these A relief is real frustrating.
I am considering making up a chart like my guide dot charts for the top recut lines.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2240 Posts
Posted 09/13/2020   6:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add txstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The A reliefs are often tough.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
6112 Posts
Posted 09/25/2020   3:38 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stallzer to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This was a fun acquisition. Nice provenance with this folded letter, it was purchased in the Heinrich Kohler auction of the Jan Berg Maritime collection. It has a pair of Type IV's and I'm 99.9% sure they are 81L1L (inverted transfer) and 82L1L DT.

The cover

The pair

Edited by stallzer - 09/25/2020 3:39 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2240 Posts
Posted 09/25/2020   4:28 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add txstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
stallzer - you can raise your % to 100%. 81-82L1L it is. Very nice position piece there.

The Garnier correspondence is voluminous/huge. The agent Ed Locquet is also quite common on these.

Yours is paying the 5c single rate to France, via British Open Mail by British Packet. The US and France used differing weight scales. In the US it was rated at the single rate up to 1/2 oz (5c). In France it was rated 26 decimes due, which is a double rate for them, for a letter weighing between 7.5-15 grams. I should add that the 'check' mark at upper left is common on such letters to flag the extra (French) rate.

Can you determine the year of mailing from a backstamp or contents?
Edited by txstamp - 09/25/2020 4:40 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2240 Posts
Posted 09/25/2020   4:37 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add txstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I'm guessing your cover was 1856, and, if so, it was carried on the Cunard steamer Asia, which sailed from NYC on August 20th, and arrived in Liverpool on Aug 31st. Then transit to France.

Very nice, congrats, and welcome to what I enjoy, which is stamps and stamp varieties, combined with Postal History. You get the best of both worlds.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
6112 Posts
Posted 09/25/2020   4:41 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stallzer to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Certainly can. 1856.

EDIT - Your last reply beat me to posting this. As usual you are spot on!

The back stamps

Inner flap

And this came in the auction folder but no detail as to who wrote it up. Was this Jan Berg's write up? I see it traveled on a Cunard steamer but my German isn't good.

Edited by stallzer - 09/25/2020 4:43 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2240 Posts
Posted 09/25/2020   4:57 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add txstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Its echoing much of what I said.
It was carried on the Cunard "Asia", and it reached its destination at Nantes on Sep 2.

It breaks down the 26 decimes as -
10dec - sea carriage
6 dec - British Transit
10dec - French Inland

I double checked the above numbers and they are the correct breakdown for the double French rate.
Edited by txstamp - 09/25/2020 5:01 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
6112 Posts
Posted 09/25/2020   5:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stallzer to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you Tx. As always I very much appreciate your help, feedback and expertise.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
6112 Posts
Posted 10/15/2020   5:53 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stallzer to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I liked the penmanship on this paid cancel. I believe it is position 17L.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
2240 Posts
Posted 10/15/2020   6:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add txstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
stallzer: I agree, 17L1L. Nice Double Transfer, and cancel.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
6112 Posts
Posted 10/15/2020   7:37 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stallzer to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks TX. Swinging for the fences today and trying to pull off the feat of 2 in one day.

41L?

Pillar Of The Community
United States
2240 Posts
Posted 10/16/2020   10:29 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add txstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
41L1L, yes, good job. Another neat double transfer.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
720 Posts
Posted 10/17/2020   4:06 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Caper123 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Stallzer, just saw your post of 9/s2 with the 3 stamp cover. I love it!
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
6112 Posts
Posted 10/19/2020   10:45 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stallzer to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Caper, love the postal history side of it. TX, thanks as always for the confirmations. looks like I'm down to a handful of Type II's left to plate.....
Pillar Of The Community
United States
933 Posts
Posted 11/05/2020   5:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jaxom100 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I finally reached the half way mark on my plate 1 late reconstruction.
I have 56 left pane and 44 right pane stamps.

Edited by jaxom100 - 11/05/2020 5:25 pm
Page: of 28 Previous TopicReplies: 420 / Views: 38,526Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 6.47 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05