Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

1c 1851 Plate 1-Late Stamps

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 420 / Views: 39,548Next Topic
Page: of 28
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
5371 Posts
Posted 11/05/2020   5:25 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Wow! That is pretty amazing.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2288 Posts
Posted 11/05/2020   6:13 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add txstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
jaxom - awesome.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1411 Posts
Posted 11/06/2020   09:32 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add dudley to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2288 Posts
Posted 11/10/2020   4:23 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add txstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I thought I'd reply here, on behalf of another thread, where pos 95R1L was posted. Reference thread:
http://goscf.com/t/72775&whichpage=88#667527

Here is a reference 95R1L, which is a clear match to the stamp posted (not my stamp, just for reference):

The horizontal spacing and vertical alignment to the stamp at left, really only matches 95R1E/L and is close to 93L2 but not a match.

There are several vertical blurs at right on the submitted stamp and the comparison copy, which match. There is also a small dot right of ornament P, on the reference copy, which seems faint but maybe visible on the submitted stamp (Laurie's).

The blurs only appear on 95R1L, and not 1E. Also, the re-entry of 1L appears to have strengthened some of the left side ornaments overall above the 1E variety, which makes the submitted stamp by Laurie_02 pretty clearly position 95R1L for sure.

It is Ty IV, Scott #9.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
6161 Posts
Posted 11/12/2020   6:11 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stallzer to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Recently acquired 41-42R1L pair showing the surface crack.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
745 Posts
Posted 11/12/2020   7:41 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Caper123 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Nice pair Stallzer! Yours shows the cracks well too. I have one on cover but the cracks are not as well defined.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2288 Posts
Posted 11/13/2020   11:00 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add txstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice item.

A study of the evolution of the cracks on Plate 1L would be an interesting project.

I once had a 58R1L, perforated, #23, so very late impression, that showed the cracks on that position about as strong as I'd seen them. Pretty striking item.

So many of these crack positions usually either don't show the cracks, or show them very poorly defined. When you find one with a strong crack definition, its definitely a good find.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
745 Posts
Posted 11/13/2020   7:28 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Caper123 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Stallzer, here's my 41R1L. Actually, the crack lines do show up better than I remembered.

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
6161 Posts
Posted 11/14/2020   04:41 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stallzer to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I see the lines clearly. What a beautiful example!
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2288 Posts
Posted 11/17/2020   2:56 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add txstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

This cover is franked with a pair of #9 Ty IV, pos 95-96L1L, and a strip of 4 10c Ty II #14, pos 37-40R1, including part imprint capture on 40R.

This is paying the 42c Prussian Closed Mail rate to Sweden.

The right most 10c stamp was originally folded over to the back of the cover. The cover was cut and the stamp folded out for display.

Sweden is a scarce destination during this time period. I have only found 20 1851-issue stamped covers to Sweden so far in my looking.

Also, 10c stamps with an imprint capture are very tough items to find.

Both 1c stamp positions show rust marks.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2288 Posts
Posted 11/17/2020   3:59 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add txstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Here is a cropped rotated image of the 95-96L1L.
Both of these positions show a split-top recut.

The rust marks at the bottom center of 96L1L do show plainly though.

Sorry for the poor quality scan.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
159 Posts
Posted 11/17/2020   8:39 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add widglo46 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I'm not sure why, but Ashbrook described the surface crack on 61R as "an extremely nice variety". The crack shows up quite clearly in the example below.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
2288 Posts
Posted 11/17/2020   9:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add txstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It is a nice variety. Real cracks like this, that show well are very collectable items.

Your stamp shows it quite well.

Nice carrier cancel to go with it !
Valued Member
United States
81 Posts
Posted 11/17/2020   11:23 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Njs900 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Too bad about the margins though.

Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
159 Posts
Posted 11/18/2020   09:41 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add widglo46 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
njs900 -
Page: of 28 Previous TopicReplies: 420 / Views: 39,548Next Topic  
Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 12.92 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05