Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Moroccan Locals And Maghzan Cachets

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 26 / Views: 4,650Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
710 Posts
Posted 03/31/2019   1:54 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add EMaxim to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here are a few more of the Sultanate's local issues (Mazagan to Marrakech)from the pre-French Protectorate era. Just acquired these. The UV light indicates that the two red ones were printed using aniline inks, so can't be submerged in any liquid.

Scott seems still not to include any of these locals. Does any catalogue? And if not, why not?

Eric
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United States
231 Posts
Posted 03/31/2019   4:01 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Greaden to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
These are locals for the Mazagan/Marakesh route, run by Isaac Brudo, a private entrepreneur.

The French catalogs, Maury and Yvert, list these locals.
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
5958 Posts
Posted 03/31/2019   4:30 pm  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
From Maury - tricky to scan

Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
3102 Posts
Posted 03/31/2019   6:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add nigelc to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Geoff,

Thanks for posting this.

Which catalogue is this? I'm guessing it's "Maury Africa" or some similar title.

I've never heard anything as to whether Spink would ever publish new editions of the Maury catalogues apart from the two volumes for France, or indeed if they acquired the other catalogues.
Nigel
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
5958 Posts
Posted 03/31/2019   6:56 pm  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Nigel - hello. Yes, it's Maury Africa. If you look at the Spink site, it appears that they acquired old Maury/Dallay stock, without the ex-Colonies, which may, I suspect, have been sold out. Spink seems fairly assiduous in publishing the France catalogue, but no sign of the others, unfortunately.

https://spinkbooks.com/index.php?ro...gory&path=88
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
3102 Posts
Posted 04/02/2019   8:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add nigelc to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Geoff
Nigel
Pillar Of The Community
France, Metropolitan
3205 Posts
Posted 07/12/2020   12:53 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add perf12 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here is a cover I have with a Fez handstamp; with a nice wax seal on the back.

Edited by perf12 - 07/12/2020 12:54 pm
Valued Member
United States
231 Posts
Posted 11/25/2020   6:15 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Greaden to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here is a round cachet from the city of Azemour. Round stamps were basically officials from the Court, while octagonals were for private correspondence.

Red ink was made from poppies.
United States
4 Posts
Posted 01/09/2021   11:40 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add norseamerica218 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This is super interesting. Is there any type of catalogue for these different local cachets? Or is there a community that focuses extensively on them? How common are they among other philatelists?
Valued Member
United States
34 Posts
Posted 04/30/2021   03:03 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bcantin to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello - I found this discussion via a google search for "Cherifien post" and I see that nobody has mentioned the Alnis Guide to the Local Posts of Morocco. I have a few of these in my collection, and an assortment of the octagonal cachets from various cities/towns. I never knew what they were until I acquired the catalogue.

I just purchased the catalogue from a Canadian seller on eBay. I was very disappointed to learn that it is not the original catalogue, but a xeroxed copy. Still, the book is out of lrint and very difficult to find, so if you just want the information - perhaps a copy would suffice. I found all of the stamps discussed here in the Alnis book ans they are priced as well.

The Alnis guide was published in 1993. It's really well done and I was able to identify the towns/cities of all 11 octagonal cachets I have... there are (clear) pictures of each along with the town name and catalogue numbers.

It's been three years since this thread was last touched, but I still wanted to add my two cents.

Barry
Valued Member
United States
34 Posts
Posted 04/30/2021   03:04 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bcantin to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
^^^ sorry, I meant to say "three years since this discussion was started". Yes, I am picky enough about those things to post again... I can't seem to edit my original post. Still new here...
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 26 / Views: 4,650Next Topic  
Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.22 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05