Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Organizing Train And Other Topical Stamps

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member

6 Posts
Posted 09/02/2018   5:59 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add StampAllen to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi Again,
I bought a Stanley Gibbons Collect Railways on Stamps catalog online.
While I am waiting for it to arrive I am trying to organize the railway stamps I have already bought in a large stock book. Some of the stamps came from a dealer and some from eBay.
I am thinking that I should organize the stamps by year, and then alphabetically by country. What do other people do?
Thanks
Allen
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
6491 Posts
Posted 09/02/2018   7:04 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
You need to do it the way you feel is best - it is your collection.

Peter
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
716 Posts
Posted 09/03/2018   04:00 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add erilaz to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Your strategy sounds good to me.

I have my topical Esperanto and Runes & Runic Monuments stamps in Vario pages, arranged alphabetically by country, then by Scott catalogue number within each country. This works just fine for me, since the number of new releases in these topics is extremely low: only one Esperanto stamp and no runic stamps in the last ten years, as far as I'm aware. For a topic like railways, which has new releases coming out much more frequently, this wouldn't be ideal, since you'd be constantly shuffling stamps around to make room for the new releases. You'd be better off arranging them by year, just as you described, for this very reason.
Edited by erilaz - 09/03/2018 04:02 am
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
26784 Posts
Posted 09/03/2018   5:52 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Opinion.
If you intend to last in your preferred discipline, I advocate the investment in a decent computer, and a scanner.

Having a visual record of every train stamp in your collection shall give you the freedom of organisation any which way you prefer, without jostling issues as you progress.

Scan every Train stamp, and take the time to have a naming convention that will assist you locating the scan at any time.

Consider, should one day you have 500,000 train stamps, you can locate the stamp you wish to find within 25 seconds.
You want every train stamp issued by British Honduras? 5 seconds
etc etc.

Advantages:
Scan of every train stamp you have, indicates condition, do you need a better example?
Scans can indicate your want lists
Scan links to train Youtube Videos
Scan in depth notes on certain issues
Scan First day covers
Scan Train Postmarks

and on and on ad nauseum

Edited by rod222 - 09/03/2018 5:55 pm
Valued Member
6 Posts
Posted 09/15/2018   8:03 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add StampAllen to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks erilaz for confirming my strategy, I have been sorting the stamps and have started to arrange them by year and then by country.

rod222, some excellent advice there thank you for taking the time to write.

Allen
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
26784 Posts
Posted 09/15/2018   9:35 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Results of my 3 second search of my image collection.
Australia : Trains on stamps (Scott numbers)

Click to enlarge image.

1. You need to decide what parameters? Railways? just Trains? Trams?
anything on steel rails ? (here I have shown a mine wagon)
Images of persons involved in rail history?

Sundry:

Edited by rod222 - 09/15/2018 9:42 pm
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.17 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05