Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

USPS Evolution Of 'junk Mail'

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Learn More...
7700 Posts
Posted 09/20/2018   09:02 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add 51studebaker to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Being a geeky kind of guy, I signed up for the free USPS 'Informed Delivery' service. This service is a digital preview your mail and your packages that the USPS sends you each morning. The email contains greyscale (typically) images of the exterior, address side of letter-sized mail pieces and track packages. These images were automatically being harvested by the USPS scanning equipment so emailing the images to postal customers every morning is not a stretch for them.

One of the interesting things I have seen done with this service is identifying a 'marker monkey' since it was easy to show the postal inspector that the envelope was unmarked when it was scanned but landed in the mailbox with Sharpie marks. This allowed them to ID the culprit since only 1-2 humans handled the package during that time frame.

It also helps when discussing with the local postmaster non-delivery issues...a bit hard to deny that the mailman isn't slacking with 'Informed Delivery' evidence in hand.

But in the last week or two I also noticed something new in the emails…spam. USPS has figured out that if companies are willing to spend money printing and mailing junk mail, they might also be willing to pay for a live link in the 'Informed Delivery' email. So sure enough there are now including links with some of the junk mail as shown below. Note "Learn More" and note that this image is in color, this was a full color image of the actual junk mail we received.

Kudo to USPS for figuring out this profit center in the digital age. (I think!?!)
Don

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2646 Posts
Posted 09/20/2018   09:31 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add angore to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Ha. I got the Lake James mailer yesterday too!
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Al
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
4021 Posts
Posted 09/20/2018   12:29 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I noticed the same thing. I must say that I am a fan of the Informed Delivery service. In particular it is nice to have the function of reporting a piece of missing mail. Not sure what it actually does but I am hopeful that it means more than the eBay "Report It" button.
Valued Member
United States
156 Posts
Posted 09/20/2018   2:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add johnsim03 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
rogdcam,

Based on my personal experience, the missing mail button does absolutely nothing. It triggers no investigation of the missing mail, nor does it start any process at all. You still have to spend a lot of time on the phone... And you have to initiate it, because follow-up is, shall we say, lacking (i.e., promised return calls that never happen and etc.). Again, just based on my experience. I do like informed delivery because it lets you know what to expect for that day...

John
Edited by johnsim03 - 09/20/2018 2:11 pm
Valued Member
United States
219 Posts
Posted 09/20/2018   5:44 pm  Show Profile Check pascoe's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add pascoe to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Just enrolled in the program, thanks for reminding me about this!
Pillar Of The Community
United States
3976 Posts
Posted 09/20/2018   9:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ikeyPikey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
They junked-up the scans?

Boy, that was quick!

I tried to get Informed Delivery for the mail addressed to my post office box, but the service is not available for POBox addresses ... I imagine that they think that boxholders will be businesses, and that businesses will be sure to check their box daily ... uh, not so much.

Cheers,

/s/ ikeyPikey
Valued Member
United States
309 Posts
Posted 09/20/2018   11:11 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mml1942 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
ikeyPikey:

I use the Informed Delivery feature with my Post Office Box here in Texas, so the service option is available some places.

Looking on-line, they apparently distinguish between residential box holders and business box holders, and current offerings are to residential box holder only.

Mike
Edited by mml1942 - 09/20/2018 11:11 pm
Pillar Of The Community
700 Posts
Posted 09/26/2018   02:18 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DrewM to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I imagine you'll be bidding on that lakefront property?
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1340 Posts
Posted 09/26/2018   02:58 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add cjpalermo1964 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
"Liquidation" of lakefront property. You can't make this stuff up.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.69 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05