Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

US Working Towards Withdrawal From The Universal Postal Union

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 25 / Views: 2,741Next Topic
Page: of 2
Learn More...
United States
10625 Posts
Posted 10/17/2018   5:41 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add 51studebaker to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
2757 Posts
Posted 10/17/2018   7:12 pm  Show Profile Check Battlestamps's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Battlestamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here's another story about it - https://www.bbc.com/news/business-4...E6st9s86_L5o

The major disagreement concerns the lower shipment rates that countries like China enjoys to ship parcels to the U.S. at the U.S.'s expense. While I agree China has long abused their status as a "developing nation" to enjoy the lower rates, I do not want to see the U.S. pull out of the UPU. I cannot imagine the upheaval that would bring, but it would be a whole year before anything would happen. Hopefully, an agreement can be had and settle the matter without throwing the baby out with the bathwater.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
Spain
357 Posts
Posted 10/18/2018   11:51 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Roberto59 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The fall of the wall of Berlin and the transfer of Hong Kong, they supposed the end of the dictatorial communism that existed in the countries of the East and China.
Constant newly rich emerges in these countries, persons who buy clubs of soocer and basket, that travel in yachts of luxury and own planes.

Reently does little a package of China came to me by post registered, 400 gr.
The rate was 0,80 Euros and to send the equal one there, he would pay 13,75.-€ (15,8.-$)
He angers me to give him tante advantage to China and I do not understand as Europe it does not put brake on the abuse.
Sure that not only it is a question of money, there will be political mesenteries.
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
825 Posts
Posted 10/18/2018   2:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Ringo to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
There might be a case for redifining certain countries as time goes on, and China as a state is nowhere near as poor as it once was. An appropriate measure might be to lobby UPU for some up-to-date definitions.

However the focus on China seems to be a diversion from the real process being proposed here. Subsidising postage from poorer nations is designed to promote the common good, and yes, it costs the rich more - but it helps developing countries to develop. The richest country in the world unilaterally withdrawing, so that someone - I don't know who - will keep a bit more cash, is inevitably going to work against developing nations. It's a measure to make it harder for them to develop.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
8505 Posts
Posted 10/18/2018   3:05 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The richest country in the World has the World's largest debt. Other folks are welcome to pick up the slack.
Learn More...
United States
10625 Posts
Posted 10/18/2018   3:09 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
...China as a state is nowhere near as poor as it once was...

It is predicted that China's economy will surpass the US economy within the next 4 years.

Quote:
...- I don't know who - will keep a bit more cash,...

The USPS is funded by postal customers (not tax payers). So any of us who use the US postal service and buy postage stamps will benefit. It would also fix the current issue where Far East seller ship defective, nonfunctioning, consumer goods into the US for pennies but our return shipping cost far exceeds the value of the original goods.
Don
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2860 Posts
Posted 10/18/2018   4:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hy-brasil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This sounds like Brexit, with no real plan in place and nothing going on to renegotiate all the agreements needed with every country.

So what is the real "last mile(s)" cost for handling these packages domestically? Since UPS and FedEx readily drop their packages into the USPS mailstream, we should be able to know that figure since they probably do.

Valued Member
Spain
357 Posts
Posted 10/18/2018   4:45 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Roberto59 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Do not get confused, USA is not the richest country of the world.
It is in the position nş 10, mine in the 13.
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
825 Posts
Posted 10/18/2018   6:04 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Ringo to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I understand Trump wants to privatise the US mail system. That's not for your benefit, it's because it's an opportunity for investors to make a fortune, and that's why they fund Trump and his colleagues - to legislate on their behalf. The don't give their money away for no reason.

We've already seen it in Britain, when Royal Mail was privatised, and needless to say, I haven't benefitted in any way - but someone, somewhere has. Likewise, I expect American citizens won't benefit from the UPU withdrawal, as it's obviously not planned to help you in any way. It seems pretty clear to me that he's acting like businessman and making a move to cut some unwanted expenses from the system - so whoever ends up owning it will see a benefit. The rest of the world, who he apparently sees as an irrelevance, will 'pick up the slack' - ie, be put at a bigger disadvantage than they already are.

I'm not criticizing Trump, you will notice - just being honest about what I see going on. If you agree with it, fine - just let's be honest about what's happening.
Edited by Ringo - 10/18/2018 6:05 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
8505 Posts
Posted 10/18/2018   6:17 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It cannot be privatized. It is a part of the Constitution. Congress would need to pursue it if even possible and it will never happen. Let us be honest about it.
Edited by rogdcam - 10/18/2018 6:18 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1718 Posts
Posted 10/18/2018   6:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add James Drummond to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Do not get confused, USA is not the richest country of the world.

Hi,

Just curious, what are you basing that comment on?

Online data seems to disagree with it.

Please see below.

Jim

http://www.visualcapitalist.com/cha...n-the-world/

Valued Member
Spain
357 Posts
Posted 10/18/2018   7:28 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Roberto59 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This it is the meter of the gross GDP. The bigger it is the country, major it will be.
Observe that India is in fourth place
The measured one that I have used is a revenue for person.
Here both methods are
https://psicologiaymente.com/empres...-ricos-mundo

Pillar Of The Community
United States
2757 Posts
Posted 10/21/2018   09:20 am  Show Profile Check Battlestamps's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Battlestamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Now a top official is saying that the U.S. withdrawal could put a stop to International mail for the U.S.

"It will have dramatic consequences for American consumers. It will cost them enormously. They will be all alone against all the countries of the world," Clivaz told The Associated Press on Friday. "They won't even be able to send (a package) to a neighboring country. It's an accord that links everybody." - Pascal Clivaz, deputy director-general of the Switzerland-based Universal Postal Union.

"A U.S. pullout from the 144-year-old organization, a specialized U.N. agency, would strip the U.S. from access to special codes needed to send and receive mail internationally, Clivaz said. Any U.S. companies that need them — like FedEx or UPS — would lose access too, he said. This agreement regulates all the issues: technical problems, customs issues, security issues. Without the codes, without this green light, you can't move a single letter or package," he said."

Renegotiation of the treaty would require a majority vote among UPU members.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/return-s...1845702.html

Now if it does indeed happen, I'm going to be extremely miffed as there goes half my business. eBay itself will be crippled.

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
8505 Posts
Posted 10/21/2018   09:43 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It is posturing/rhetoric as negotiations take place. Nothing more. We will come out of this in a much better position. The USPS is hemorrhaging cash and things need to change.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
590 Posts
Posted 10/22/2018   9:02 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add modernstamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
rogdcam,
I think you are correct. Good insight.
Learn More...
United States
10625 Posts
Posted 10/23/2018   01:05 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
More information on the USPS justifcation for leaving "Terminal Dues in the Age of Ecommerce" https://www.uspsoig.gov/document/te...ge-ecommerce
Don
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 25 / Views: 2,741Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.39 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05