Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Micrographia (Small Writing}

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community
United States
3722 Posts
Posted 11/24/2018   2:04 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add ikeyPikey to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
MicroGraphia (small writing) can be found on stamps (manuscript cancels), covers, postcards, and album pages.

https://blogs.loc.gov/international...h-tradition/ ... irrelevant aside ... MicroGraphia has been described as the only indigenous Jewish art form

http://goscf.com/t/12021 ... a hat-tip to our own thread: Manuscript penmanship on covers and stamps.

I often find remarkably legible MicroGraphic penmanship on postcards.

Here's an example to get us started.

Cheers,

/s/ ikeyPikey

The big picture of the little writing:

Using the stamp as a reference object for the comparatively large return address:

A sample of the even smaller main text:

And, oh yeah, its a postcard ... of the Capuchin monastery in Stuhlingen, a town in the Waldshut district of Baden-Wurttemberg, Germany. It is situated on the border with Switzerland.
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
683 Posts
Posted 11/25/2018   03:16 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add erilaz to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Some of my Volapük postcards have very small writing on them. Here's one:

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
3722 Posts
Posted 11/25/2018   11:17 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ikeyPikey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Q/ Does the address include "Volapukist" as an occupational title? Honorarium?

Q/ Or does it signal the postman that he need not report the coded message to the palace or to the police?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volap%C3%BCk

Cheers,

/s/ ikeyPikey
Pillar Of The Community
Netherlands
904 Posts
Posted 11/25/2018   12:16 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Galeoptix to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
He/she speaks/reads Volapuk!
Pillar Of The Community
United States
3722 Posts
Posted 11/25/2018   12:34 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ikeyPikey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Okay, but why would you note such a thing in the address?

I've never written "English-speaker" or "Hebrew-speaker" as part of the address of a post card in either language.

So, You're thinking Honorarium?

Cheers,

/s/ ikeyPikey
Pillar Of The Community
United States
683 Posts
Posted 11/25/2018   4:55 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add erilaz to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting question.

The addresses on a lot of my Volapük cards, especially those sent to or from German-speaking countries, include some sort of title, either in Volapük or German, in addition to the usual Mr./Mrs./Miss or even a very German "Herr Professor Doktor" ("Söle plofed dokel Siegfried Lederer"). 19th-century Germans loved their titles! So, for example:

Söle Franz Havelka, vpan
(To Mr. Franz Havelka, Volapükist)
[Suriname to Austrian Bohemia]

Söle Teichmüller, Studel lektinava
(To Mr. Teichmüller, Student of Electrical Engineering)
[Russia to Germany]

Söle Aug. Ritter, Calal potäma
(To Mr. August Ritter, Postmaster)
[Brazil to Switzerland]

Söle ledivik Klöckl Oswald, potacalan l.r.
(To the Honorable Mr. Oswald Klöckl, Imperial Royal Postal Official)
[local mail within Graz, Austria]

Söle palestimöl Klöckl Oswald, k. k. Postbeamter
(To the Esteemed Mr. Oswald Klöckl, [in German:] Imperial Royal Postal Official)
[Bavaria to Austria]

Mr Kniele Rupert, Wundarzt ecc
(Mr. Rupert Kniele, [in German:] Surgeon, ?etc.)
[Ottoman Empire to Württemberg]

Ali Söl Keil Wilh. plofed vpa.
(To Mr. Wilhelm Keil, Professor of Volapük)
[Germany to France]

Vomül Rehbock Charlotte, jiprofesan [sic] vpa.
(Miss Charlotte Rehbock, [Female] Professor of Volapük)
[local mail within Hannover, Germany]

Söle Bayer, stud. git., sekretel vpakluba in Kopenhagen
(To Mr. Bayer, Student of Law, Secretary of the Volapük Society in Copenhagen)
[Germany to Denmark]

Söle l. J. Bayer, Redakel cifik 'Timapenäda vpk plo Dän e Norgän'
(To the Honorable Mr. J. Bayer, Editor-in-Chief of the "Volapük Periodical for Denmark and Norway")
[Germany to Denmark]

Söle Nehls Ferd. sen., senatän volapüka in New Braunfels, Texas, U.S. Nordamerika
(To Mr. Ferdinand Nehls, Sr., Volapük Senator in New Braunfels, Texas, U.S.A.)
[Austria to U.S.A.]
Edited by erilaz - 11/25/2018 5:12 pm
Valued Member
United States
201 Posts
Posted 02/10/2019   9:57 pm  Show Profile Check ggreve's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add ggreve to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Another example of MicroGraphia:

Suggested Cross post from
http://goscf.com/t/66250
Pillar Of The Community
United States
683 Posts
Posted 03/05/2019   10:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add erilaz to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I just got another Volapük postcard today, featuring another fine example of micrographia. Ms. Enderneyt certainly wanted to get the most out of her four kopeks!

Edited by erilaz - 03/05/2019 10:02 pm
Valued Member
United States
479 Posts
Posted 03/05/2019   11:44 pm  Show Profile Check docgfd's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add docgfd to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Good ole Mr. Wilson, my 8th Grade US History teacher. He let each student take his tests with the aid of one 3x5" index card of "cheat notes," with as much history that could be crammed onto both its sides being legal. Back then I had already started using a Rapidograph with India ink to make stamp album pages (and still do, in some cases). Using abbreviations, I think I got most of the section we were being tested on onto that little card. Needless to say, I was acing all these tests and I remember Mr. W. doing a face palm when he saw my little helper LOL.

l
Pillar Of The Community
United States
683 Posts
Posted 03/06/2019   10:44 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add erilaz to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I'm fairly adept at tiny writing myself. Lists in my pocket notebook often have 1 mm lower case and 2 mm capitals, and those are written with garden variety ballpoints that I pick up at work. I can write even smaller with a good pen and the desire to do so.

I haven't used my Rapidographs in years. It was always such a challenge to keep the finest tips from clogging up.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2861 Posts
Posted 03/06/2019   10:56 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bookbndrbob to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have always preferred the .5 mm mechanical pencils. Bought my first one in 1965 and I still have it.

They are perfect for making tiny notes on my album pages.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.72 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05