Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Saudi Revenue Or Cinderella?

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 35 / Views: 1,766Next Topic
Page: of 3
SCF Advertiser
Learn More...

Canada
270 Posts
Posted 11/30/2018   9:44 pm  Show Profile Check steve123's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add steve123 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Can anyone help with this? I think it's Saudi Arabian.
Thank you!

Send note to Staff
Moreland Revenue Stamps
Specializing in Canadian Revenues
Also Canada / USA EFO's
www.morelandrevenuestamps.com

Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
29882 Posts
Posted 12/01/2018   06:19 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Steve,
a real toughie.
I went through McDonald (Turkey)
and "The Revenue Reverend" link.
I may have missed it, but certainly did not catch my eye.
I am also unsure on correct orientation.

We need someone to read the text for a hint.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by rod222 - 12/01/2018 06:20 am
Valued Member
Cyprus
113 Posts
Posted 12/01/2018   07:31 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Moose to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
My two pennies worth:
Orientation seems correct.
There seems to be a date on center top which reads 1310(AH)in other words (Tue Jul 26), 1892 so not sure if its Saudi Arabian
There seems to be a 'value?' of 5 but not sure of the denomination
The whole centre design reminds me of a Moroccan local cachet but I think it could be Turkish in Arabic script
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
2981 Posts
Posted 12/01/2018   07:59 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add nigelc to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I suspect the stamp is sideways with the text at the left and right sides.
Nigel
Pillar Of The Community
United States
527 Posts
Posted 12/01/2018   11:26 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add 91stang to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I think it is a long stamp-stumped
Edited by 91stang - 12/01/2018 11:38 am
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
29882 Posts
Posted 12/01/2018   3:39 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
but I think it could be Turkish in Arabic script

Quote:
I suspect the stamp is sideways with the text at the left and right sides.

I agree with above, of course, the Blue negative seal, could be any which way, not aligned to the stamp itself.
I have checked my database of all Blue negative seals I have seen, and suggest it could be something as abstruse as a revenue from Egypt or Palestine, with local council / town seal.
Pillar Of The Community
France, Metropolitan
2712 Posts
Posted 12/01/2018   6:57 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add perf12 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Going through some of my old Arabic -English dictionaries that I havn't touched for 30
years...The word local or Municipal is there. For the intestines or miaow thats less sure!

The negative seal does not look Turkish too me ,but I could be wrong.
SCF Advertiser
Learn More...
Canada
270 Posts
Posted 12/01/2018   8:19 pm  Show Profile Check steve123's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add steve123 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you, everyone. This gives me a lot of info to use!
Steve
Moreland Revenue Stamps
Also Canada / USA EFO's

Valued Member
United States
35 Posts
Posted 12/01/2018   9:38 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bobeid to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
As the other folks indicated, the top text is upright, the bottom text is upside down and the negative seal is inverted.

This is Ottoman and in Turkish in the Ottoman Arabic alphabet before the change to Latin alphabet.

The top left has the currency "para" and 5 below it (a para is 1/4000 lira). Center top has the year in Hijri. I do not know the translation of the top right text.

The bottom left reads "examination" or "inspection" (muayene in Turkish). I cannot tell what the bottom right means.

I stared at the seal for about 10 minutes and as best as I can tell it has these four words: "symbol/seal" "municipality" "administration" "building/construction" (ramz, baladiya, idarat, buna). So it could be: seal of municipality building administration.

I hope this helps.
Edited by bobeid - 12/01/2018 9:52 pm
SCF Advertiser
Learn More...
Canada
270 Posts
Posted 12/01/2018   9:52 pm  Show Profile Check steve123's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add steve123 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Fantastic info! Thank you.
Moreland Revenue Stamps
Also Canada / USA EFO's

Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
29882 Posts
Posted 12/01/2018   11:59 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Bobeid, very helpful.

This is no good, we cannot have SCF failing an ID.

Steve,
Subject to your approval, I can send on the image to O.N.E.P.S (Ottoman and Near East Philatelic Society) for assistance.
If the Editor cannot help, then it will be published / broadcast in our next Journal.

Please let me know.

Edited by rod222 - 12/02/2018 12:03 am
Pillar Of The Community
United States
527 Posts
Posted 12/02/2018   12:05 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add 91stang to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Excellent info..great thread...
Pillar Of The Community
France, Metropolitan
2712 Posts
Posted 12/02/2018   09:34 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add perf12 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
From a fellow collector in Turkey. His response:
This stamp is not a postage stamp. It is an Ottoman fiscal stamp (timbre d'inspection) in 5 Paras which was used by Izmir (Smyrna) Municipality in 1892.
Regards,

bobeid almost got it!
Edited by perf12 - 12/02/2018 09:36 am
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
29882 Posts
Posted 12/02/2018   2:06 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Bravo! P12 well done you.
Not listed MacDonald, albeit I'll have another look.
(My Thoughts) I wonder if anyone has taken over the discipline for the catalogue, it would be nice to add to the record.

SCF Advertiser
Learn More...
Canada
270 Posts
Posted 12/02/2018   3:46 pm  Show Profile Check steve123's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add steve123 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks again, everyone. I did have this stamp listed on eBay but am pulling it for now.
Very interesting info and I appreciate everyone who took the time to help. Any images sent to anyone are fine with me!
Steve
Moreland Revenue Stamps
Also Canada / USA EFO's

Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
29882 Posts
Posted 12/02/2018   4:46 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Steve,
I would still like to pass it to ONEPS for further information.
I'll post any response.

Please advise if you re-list on eBay, I'd like to bid.

Page: of 3 Previous TopicReplies: 35 / Views: 1,766Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 1.33 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05