Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Hong Kong Treaty Port Cancels

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
United States
190 Posts
Posted 12/14/2018   10:15 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Linus to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I am starting a thread for anyone who likes treaty port cancels on Hong Kong stamps. Shown below are some from Amoy from my collection.

Linus

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
4468 Posts
Posted 12/14/2018   11:17 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add floortrader to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Nice collection .
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
1313 Posts
Posted 12/14/2018   2:16 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bobby De La Rue to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Nice page Linus

What was the attraction to this area of philately for you? Are you collecting the other treaty ports and the British POs in Japan also?
Valued Member
United States
190 Posts
Posted 12/14/2018   2:37 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Linus to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the kind words. I was in a stamp shop in the suburbs of Des Moines, Iowa, USA in the late 1990s, and bought a $5 used copy of the Yang catalog, just because it looked interesting. That started it all. Yes, I collect the British POs in Japan, and all throughout the area. Some are difficult to find, but I enjoy "the hunt."

Linus

Pillar Of The Community
United States
1987 Posts
Posted 12/14/2018   6:29 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hy-brasil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Amoy but with code letter C; Swatow; Foochowfoo (there is also Foochow); SHANGHAE (there is also SHANGHAI, if I remember right); Canton usage with Chinese P.O. cancel.
Valued Member
United States
190 Posts
Posted 12/14/2018   6:58 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Linus to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Those are really nice ones, hy-brasil. Here are a few of mine from Ningpo:

Linus

Valued Member
Canada
458 Posts
Posted 12/14/2018   11:28 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gmot to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Very attractive cancels!
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1052 Posts
Posted 12/15/2018   12:46 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Hal to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, very nice. Thanks for posting.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1987 Posts
Posted 12/15/2018   02:17 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hy-brasil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
So check your Hong Kong collections. There are also barred oval killers N1 (Ningpo), S1 (Shanghai) and the rare D30 (Kobe-Hiogo, Japan).
Pillar Of The Community
France, Metropolitan
2426 Posts
Posted 12/15/2018   1:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add perf12 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hongkong postage stamp cancels.Hongkong and Treaty ports by André de Cock

Check the Nigel Gooding site.Scroll down too General Topics for Hongkong.Impressive collection.
http://nigelgooding.co.uk/
Edited by perf12 - 12/15/2018 1:40 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1052 Posts
Posted 12/15/2018   2:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Hal to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
If I remember correctly there were several issues of "CHINESE PHILATELY", the official publication of the China Stamp Society, devoted solely to Chinese Treaty Ports. I believe the author was either Ellery Dennison or Lyons Livingston. You may wish to check there back issues. "CHINESE PHILATELY" is an excellent publication and it's in English.
Edited by Hal - 12/15/2018 2:11 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
755 Posts
Posted 12/15/2018   4:32 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gettinold to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi all

While on the subject of Hong Kong I'm hoping one of you may be familiar with Hong Kong stamps. Have one I've been unable to catalog:

I've found different versions of this stamp but not this particular type.
Pillar Of The Community
France, Metropolitan
2426 Posts
Posted 12/15/2018   4:56 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add perf12 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I think this is the 1903-08 "Bills of Exchange". Fiscal stamp;25 diff. values in the set.
John Bull auction example:
Edited by perf12 - 12/15/2018 5:09 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
755 Posts
Posted 12/15/2018   7:45 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gettinold to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Perf 12

Thanks. Looks so much better on paper doesn't it?
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1292 Posts
Posted 12/29/2019   9:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Trainwreck to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I just purchased this stamp from an APS sales circuit. The stamp is Hong Kong Scott 37. It seems to be cancelled with a Shanghai postmark. I think I see an "A" at the 1 o'clock position and "GHA" starting at 3 o'clock.

What do you think?

Robert
Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
28412 Posts
Posted 12/29/2019   10:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
There exists a single ring Shanghai hammer,
if it fits yours would be at best just a guess...............
(Not my stamp)

second opinion, I think you could be right

Edited by rod222 - 12/29/2019 11:59 pm
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.25 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05