Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Hong Kong Treaty Port Cancels

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
United States
190 Posts
Posted 12/30/2019   09:43 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Linus to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Trainwreck -

I think it looks like a partial Shanghai cancel, in my humble opinion.

Here is a scan of my Hong Kong Scott #37 with a Shanghai Index C cancel, from my collection, for comparison.

Linus

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
5774 Posts
Posted 12/30/2019   4:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Cjd to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I too think it looks like Shanghai, and I can't think of anything that would be a better fit.

Not that it makes it less interesting to have, but Gibbons prices these cancels on HK stamps, and on that particular stamp they're on the lower end of the CV spectrum. Plus, the catalogue contemplates a more-readable example of the cancel.

That said, I've bought more than a few with very partial cancels, as long as the dealer hasn't already tried to upcharge for the cancel (and here in the central U.S., they rarely have...).

Here is a Shanghai on a block of four KEVII that I'd shared several years back:

Also not a high-CV item, but I like it. It just sneaks into my KGV collection, being postmarked six days into his reign.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1987 Posts
Posted 12/30/2019   4:36 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hy-brasil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Trainwreck, your stamp is cancelled Shanghai. It is quite nice to have, but as Cjd notes, it is not rare. Good eye on spotting that!
Pillar Of The Community
United States
5774 Posts
Posted 12/30/2019   5:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Cjd to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This drifts from the topic just a bit for one stamp, but it ties nicely to the de Cock book posted on page 1 of this topic (thanks perf12!). A few pages in, there is a reference to a Hong Kong University cancel used from March 12 to 16, 1912. (The university had officially opened March 11, 1912.)

I had posted the following stamp nine years back, with what purports to be a March 15th cancel:

I've never seriously looked for any information, and as far as I recall, the de Cock reference is the first time I've seen a period of use mentioned.

So, legitimate? Bald forgery? What say(s) the crowd?

And just for on-topic eye candy, another pretty little Amoy:

Valued Member
United States
190 Posts
Posted 12/30/2019   7:22 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Linus to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Cjd -

This is the "bible" for Hong Kong information:

On page 128 of this book:

In my humble opinion, it looks good to me. Nice stamps, thanks for sharing.

Linus

Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
28412 Posts
Posted 12/30/2019   7:36 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Nice work Linus !

Colin...what about your YAUMATI postmark? (Yau Ma Tei)

Seen on Hong Kong
Hangkow
Canton
Sheung Whan

This Postmark has intrigued me since 2009
Maybe another country.
Not seen another on a HK
Edited by rod222 - 12/30/2019 7:44 pm
Valued Member
United States
190 Posts
Posted 12/30/2019   8:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Linus to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Rod -

Webb - page 94: This is known as the herring-bone or aspleniform type.

Type N: 25 mm circle with HONG-KONG at the top and an aspleniform bar below; time and date in the center.

Earliest known date 3 June 1933
Latest known date May 1938

Here is my best example, I have several partial cancels, like yours, but this one is my finest:

Regards,
Linus
Edited by Linus - 12/30/2019 8:29 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
5774 Posts
Posted 12/30/2019   10:32 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Cjd to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for suffering the thread drift by offering that snippet. (But hey, it's SCF...if a thread hasn't drifted, it's still a puppy.)

Mine is the only one I've seen, so I didn't have any reference to go by. I need to look for a copy of Webb. I run across references to Webb when reviewing auctions, but I strongly prefer to run across postmarks and not shop for them after identification.

Back to our regularly scheduled programming.

Okay, one more bit of eye candy:

Canton (not the steamer) on a KGV 20c.
Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
28412 Posts
Posted 12/30/2019   11:38 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Wow! Linus, you the man.
After 9 years..finally.
Thank you.
Tough gig finding Aspleniform (Most are medical conditions)
But got it by being "Fern like" which is most recognisable to me.
Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
28412 Posts
Posted 12/30/2019   11:47 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Amoy on Hong Kong.
Some token light damage.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
5774 Posts
Posted 12/30/2019   11:58 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Cjd to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Watch that foxing bottom right.
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.2 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05