Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Collecting Design Errors

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 1,017Next Topic  
Valued Member
65 Posts
Posted 01/24/2019   03:57 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add john62 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Does anyone else here collect design error stamps? Errors can and do happen but usually are corrected prior to the stamp being issued into the mainstream. There are quite a number if you look hard enough.

I find it fascinating, yet I have little interest in printing errors.
Just one collector's opinion

*** Moved by Staff to a more appropriate forum. ***
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
1146 Posts
Posted 01/24/2019   04:21 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add erilaz to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This stamp wasn't issued with the spelling error, but the PHQ card was.

Corrected version:

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
32527 Posts
Posted 01/25/2019   10:27 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Italy's "comedy of errors"
The Simplon Tunnel.

Coach a copy of the painting from "The Gottard Mail" (Rudolph Koller) Switzerland.
The train would not be coming out of the left tunnel, rail rolls left in Italy
It would be going the other way.
Steam never went through the tunnel, with 2 tracks, it was electrified.

Edited by rod222 - 01/25/2019 10:34 am
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
5938 Posts
Posted 02/06/2019   7:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bookbndrbob to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Some of the issues in Estonia's 1999-2003 definitive series have the date in the bottom margin, and some have the date under the bottom lion's front paw. Position #83 in the 1999, 30 Senti value (stamp on the right) was incorrectly made with a redundant year date under the lion's paw.

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
6403 Posts
Posted 02/06/2019   7:20 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I love this old chestnut from Monaco with the six fingered Roosevelt.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
651 Posts
Posted 02/07/2019   09:24 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add oldguy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I creates several album pages of errors on stamps. Here are a few examples. If anyone is interested I can post more examples.

Edited by oldguy - 02/07/2019 09:34 am
Valued Member
65 Posts
Posted 02/07/2019   10:01 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add john62 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
oldguy

Your album pages are great. I'd love to see more
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
528 Posts
Posted 02/07/2019   11:30 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rismoney to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I recall reading a statue of liberty stamp was the Las Vegas replica
Edited by rismoney - 02/07/2019 11:44 am
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
6403 Posts
Posted 02/07/2019   12:38 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Oldguy - Did you use this site to develop your pages.

http://topicsonstamps.info/errors/index.htm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
651 Posts
Posted 02/08/2019   8:11 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add oldguy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Rogd -

No, but I will certainly check it out. Thanks! Looks like a great resource. (edit: it appears some of these pages must have a life of their own else where on the web.)

Wow! I did not realize there were so many design errors in stamps. I try to find the subject stamp. This is a bigger challenge than I originally realized.

Looks like Afghanistan (45 design errors) could needs better quality control! But US and Canada are not much better.
Edited by oldguy - 02/08/2019 8:28 pm
Valued Member
30 Posts
Posted 05/30/2021   10:30 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add sotwuser to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

The motorcycles are driving on the wrong side of the road.
Pillar Of The Community
Israel
602 Posts
Posted 06/01/2021   2:38 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add LaoPhil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The Kingdom of Yemen issued in 1969 a set of 8 stamps entitled "save the holy places". Several stamps depicting the Dead Sea scrolls written in Hebrew two millennia ago:

One of the stamps depicting inverted Dead Sea scroll from Qumran caves:

When the stamp is inverted vertically and than horizontally, it shows a page from "Habakkuk Commentary" book written in Hebrew in the 1st century BC, exhibited in the Israel museum in Jerusalem:

Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 1,017Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.23 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05