Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

The Philatelic Exhibition Label Catalog

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 872Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1592 Posts
Posted 03/23/2019   3:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add James Drummond to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
The first part of a new series of catalogs that illustrate and value philatelic exhibition labels has just been published.

This first volume covers labels from United States clubs and societies that begin with the letters A to L. Most of the known labels are shown in full size or a somewhat-reduced size, in color.

The book is three-hole punched and requires a three-inch, heavy duty, letter size, three ring binder, preferably with a transparent front cover and spine.

Updated pages can be easily inserted into the book as they become available.

The book is 894 pages in length. You may want to break the book down into smaller sections for ease of handling.

The books are meant to be used. There are check boxes to indicate whether or not you have a certain label, and if it is hinged or used or faulty, and so on. There is room to add notes and comments, as well.

The listings include the currently known varieties, including proofs, along with their retail values. Now you can tell if you have a common label, or a rare one!

Shown below is the cover and a few sample pages.

Philatelic Exhibition Labels Part One is now available for $129 plus shipping from:

https://www.ericjackson.com/rDetail...4189&this=it

Jim

Send note to Staff
Edited by James Drummond - 03/23/2019 3:23 pm

Pillar Of The Community
673 Posts
Posted 03/23/2019   5:35 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ClassicPhilatelist to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Jim,
This is great. Really impressed by the addition of values for these. I wish more books would provide some indications.
Look forward to the M-Z volume when it's available.
Will be adding this to my arsenal of reference for WEIRD stuff. :)
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United States
95 Posts
Posted 03/24/2019   10:01 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Turff49 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Curious on where the values came from.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1592 Posts
Posted 03/24/2019   2:52 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add James Drummond to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Curious on where the values came from.

Mostly from constantly and aggressively buying these things over the last four decades; from studying various auction results; from keeping track of what I paid for the labels as I bought them; from observing how often (or not) certain labels appeared in online auction forums like eBay over the last 20 years or so; from comparing how many labels were reportedly issued at the time to how many might still theoretically exist today; from using common sense as to what a reasonable price one might pay for any particular label in 2019 inflated dollars; and so on.

For example, check out the price realized versus the estimated price for lot number 573 in this recent auction:

https://stampauctionnetwork.com/ts/ts32129.cfm#132

Jim
Valued Member
United States
95 Posts
Posted 03/24/2019   4:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Turff49 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Jim,
I was looking at the $2.50 price on the philatelic truck label in the pic. Or am I reading that wrong.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1592 Posts
Posted 03/24/2019   4:13 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add James Drummond to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi,

Sorry for the low-resolution images, they're the best that I could do with the limitation here.

That particular label is valued at $250 in the catalog.

Jim
Pillar Of The Community
837 Posts
Posted 03/28/2019   02:08 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DrewM to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I think this is pretty neat. Good work.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1592 Posts
Posted 07/24/2020   1:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add James Drummond to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The second volume of Philatelic Exhibition Labels is now available.

This catalog is 770 pages in length and it contains images of many more rare labels than were shown in the first volume.

Here is the link:

https://www.ericjackson.com/rDetail...8379&this=it

Jim

Edited by James Drummond - 07/24/2020 1:37 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1592 Posts
Posted 08/30/2020   12:40 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add James Drummond to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This item recently closed:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Philatelic...047675.l2557

I'm wondering if the value that was associated with this label in my catalog and the final selling price was just a coincidence, or did the value affect the selling price in some way?

In any case, this is still a very uncommon label.

What do you think?

Jim
Valued Member
United States
436 Posts
Posted 08/30/2020   1:16 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add m and m to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
once again kudos on another long needed fine philatelic publication.
  Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 872Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.42 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05