Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Need Ideas On How To Label Binder Spines

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1264 Posts
Posted 05/27/2019   12:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add cjpalermo1964 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
One other tip here is that for either the Pledge floor finish or Mod Podge products, if you mess up or don't like the result, spraying warm water on the label to saturate it will re-soften the adhesive after a minute, allowing it to be removed so you can start over. Mod Podge is easier in this respect. Both products have been used for decades in the model railroading hobby.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
558 Posts
Posted 05/30/2019   04:05 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DrewM to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
These are very nice. I use green Scott Specialty labels for my green Scott Specialty binders. There are also maroon Minkus specialty (country) labels which can be used on any album of your choosing, Scott or otherwise. Each of these costs $3 or so.

To get labels to stay put for years, I generally add some of my own glue to the back of the labels -- Gorilla glue, white glue, it's all likely to be better than what's on the label. If a corner starts peeling up, I add a few drops of glue, wipe it clean, and add scotch tape over the offending part to hold it down for a day or two while the glue cures. It's always firmly glued down. There also must be other ways to adhere labels.

An alternative is the Brother P-Touch labeling machine which I think produces very attractive labels on a white background -- with a border, if you want. They may sell colored label tape, as well.

Many vinyl binders have petroleum in the vinyl since that's how it's made. Over time, the oil softens the glue on most labels and they fall off. But I've found the P-Touch labels stay on my vinyl binders (for new stamps and duplicates). I've had some of these labels on the same binder for ten years now with not a single one falling off.

There's always the alternative you sometimes see on albums from eBay and auctions: Grab a big black marker and handwrite something on the spine of the album. Not subtle or elegant, but "STAMPS" tells you what it is, I suppose. I wish some countries had shorter names, though.
Edited by DrewM - 05/30/2019 04:07 am
Learn More...
6647 Posts
Posted 05/30/2019   04:20 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Lots of experiments, I hope folks are watchful for ill effects of any out gassing from chemicals which are not archival safe. I certainly hope that anyone who is using vinyl binders is not using polyvinyl chloride plastic (typical referred to as vinyl) binders since these will absolutely damage your stamps by outgassing hydrochloric acid over time.
Paper (like stamps) do not have come into direct contact with something to be damaged from it; pumping acids and other chemicals into atmosphere surrounding the stamps is more than enough to cause damage. (Anyone who has ever tried to remove smoke or other bad smells from an album or stamps is well aware how paper can absorb surrounding atmospheric contaminants.)
Don
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
4062 Posts
Posted 05/30/2019   04:52 am  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I've pretty much gone back to taping paper labels on spines, chiefly because I've found that most albums and their labels are provisional - the binder and its contents change so much over time (sometimes in a short space of time) that my previous efforts on labelling were largely wasted.
Valued Member
United Kingdom
239 Posts
Posted 05/31/2019   04:06 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Maiden to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Lots of good ideas here, I'll have to experiment with some of them and see which takes my fancy.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
4448 Posts
Posted 05/31/2019   07:06 am  Show Profile Check revenuecollector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add revenuecollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
and when you got 376 binders to label ? You buy a BROTHER P-Touch ,electronic labeling system

This.

I purchased a Brother PT-1880 system for $20 a few years back; no longer made. Works incredibly well and the adhesive holds up.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/prod...abeling.html

The recommended replacement Brother model for the PT-1880 is the PT-D400:

https://www.brother-usa.com/products/PTD400

For tape, I went with the TZ344, which is 18mm wide, reflective gold on black background:

https://www.ptouchdirect.com/ptouch/tze344.html

Example from one of my Palo albums:

Edited by revenuecollector - 05/31/2019 07:06 am
Valued Member
United Kingdom
239 Posts
Posted 05/31/2019   08:51 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Maiden to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
revenuecollector, I'm convinced, just ordered one :)
Pillar Of The Community
558 Posts
Posted 06/13/2019   02:01 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DrewM to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Nice.

"For tape, I went with the TZ344, which is 18mm wide."

Or "0.7 inches"which isn't really 3/4" as they claim, but sort of close. Why oh why do we not just use the metric system in this country? I think it's only us and Burma now. We're such idiots sometimes.
Edited by DrewM - 06/13/2019 02:03 am
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.53 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05