Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

This page may contain links that result in small commissions to keep this free site up and running.
Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Crypto Stamp - A Postage Stamp Revolution

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 55 / Views: 4,843Next Topic
Page: of 4
Valued Member

Austria
8 Posts
Posted 06/21/2019   10:22 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add MartinDP to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello everyone^^

I am pretty new to the forum and actually I am more the guy who is collecting silently his holographic stamps from all over the world. Because of the fact, that on 11th of june a revolution in the history of postage stamps took place, I decided to join the board!

A REVOLUTION? - What happened?

Austria always was very innovative in terms of stamps. Many of you might know that the Austrian Post released the first holographic stamp in 1988. 31 years later (approx 2 weeks ago) they did it again: the released the very first crypto stamp! - What is this all about?

1. THE CRYPTO STAMP IN GENERAL

Well it is quite simple: the Austrian Post Office decided to give cryptocurrencies some Kudos and brought the world a real-world-use-case of the cryptocurrency Ethereum. They simply created the VERY FIRST CRYPTO STAMP worldwide. The stamp is limited and just 150K are made. But there is more! The stamp exists in a physical-analog form AND in a digital form. In its physical form the stamps look all the same (black with a nice Hologram), but if we scan the QR code, we can see the actual color of the stamp. There are FIVE DIFFERENT COLORS and every color has a different limitation.

qote from the Austrian Post:
Austrian Post has developed an affinity for cryptocurrencies and blockchain in recent years. After cooperation with Bitpanda (sale of cryptocurrencies in branches) and Coinfinity (Swiss Bitcoin machines), the post has now entered a third cooperation with a crypto firm. The world's first cryptocurrency and blockchain postage stamp, developed together with the blockchain experts Capacity, has just been introduced to the market.

2. THE FIVE DIFFERENT COLORS

RED VERSION: limited to 1,500 pieces

YELLOW VERSION: limited to 10,000 pieces

BLUE VERSION: limited to 20,000 pieces

GREEN VERSION: limited to 40,000 pieces

BLACK VERSION: limited to 78,500 pieces

3. FUNDED WITH ETH (of the blockchain Ethereum)!

When purchased, the stamp set comes in two parts. As pictured in the first image, the left part, which is stylized with a unicorn associated with Ethereum, functions as a standard stamp that can be used to send mail. The QR code shows the digital color and limitation. The right section, on the other hand, contains a unique identifier and is concealed under scratch layers. The code is used to save the stamp on the Ethereum Blockchain, the digitized and unique stamp is then available in an Ether-Wallet and can be transferred to another one. The amount of ETH per stamp is around 0.001666666 ETH.

4. SOLD OUT AFTER 6 DAYS!!!

The last time when I checked the online shop, the stamps were SOLD OUT – and this after 6 days. What does this show us? CRYPTO has arrived in the heads of the people and a lot of collectors and crypto lovers want to have a PIECE OF CRYPTO HISTORY in their hands.

5. HIGH PRICES on eBay!

It is incredible! The crypto community and other stamp collectors really want a piece of this first limited stamp and I assume it is because of the fact that it is ONE OF A KIND. Never before an analog AND digital stamp was produced. On eBay (US, Germany, Austria) the stamps sell for really high prices.

6. CONCLUSION

I really really like the idea, how the Austrian Post revolutionized the normal postage stamp and as a holographic stamp collector I also love the design.

SO WHAT DO YOU GUYS THINK ABOUT the very first CRYPTO STAMP???

*** Moved by Staff to a more appropriate forum. ***
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
9513 Posts
Posted 06/21/2019   10:29 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
A gimmick.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
Austria
8 Posts
Posted 06/21/2019   10:55 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add MartinDP to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I miss the adjective: an original, innovative gimmick^^
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2571 Posts
Posted 06/21/2019   11:12 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add txstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It was inevitable, I think.

Blockchain is an interesting solution, looking for problems to solve.
I don't think that there is necessarily a problem here to solve, but, as stated, it is a promotional gimmick both for the postal service as well as for crypto-currencies themselves.
Learn More...
United States
11244 Posts
Posted 06/21/2019   11:47 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
A cynic would say that you have an agenda for joining and your first post is what amounts to a sales pitch for these items. We have seen this kind of hard pitch before for modern 'rarities', I cannot recall any of them which actually turned out to be a good investment.

We'll give you the benefit of doubt that you are not here to hype these stamps because you have an agenda; hopefully you will be contributing in other ways.
Don
Valued Member
Austria
8 Posts
Posted 06/21/2019   12:15 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add MartinDP to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hey Don, I am definitely not here with an agenda, but I am actually very excited about this, becaus I see it like txstamp. For me as holographic stamp collector this was just a wonderful surprise. I love both worlds - stamps and cryptos - and to see them both combined is just awesome!

I also collect art stamps by the way :-)
Valued Member
Austria
8 Posts
Posted 06/21/2019   12:16 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add MartinDP to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Well maybe you are right with what you say about "modern rarities", but I think this one is one of a kind. I had to share it.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2037 Posts
Posted 06/21/2019   2:21 pm  Show Profile Check Stamps1962's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Stamps1962 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I guess I'm 'old school'. I don't follow much of any of this.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
8245 Posts
Posted 06/21/2019   2:33 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I am with you, stamps. Nothing like a different way to empty our billfolds

Peter

Pillar Of The Community
United States
7239 Posts
Posted 06/21/2019   2:43 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bookbndrbob to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I am not interested in the time share. Don't expect to see at the free lunch. Regards, Bob
Pillar Of The Community
France, Metropolitan
3377 Posts
Posted 06/21/2019   2:55 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add perf12 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
There is speculation & there "is" speculation…..FIRST CRYPTO STAMP - complete set of 5 & all color editions - Ethereum - MINT $9,999.00
https://www.ebay.com/itm/254264149669

Valued Member
Austria
8 Posts
Posted 06/21/2019   3:01 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add MartinDP to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
9,999 is quite over my budget. But I got at least some nice ones for my collection
Pillar Of The Community
France, Metropolitan
3377 Posts
Posted 06/21/2019   3:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add perf12 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Lets get this straight: 0.001666666 ETH = 48c-49c. They were selling over the counter 6.90 EUROS. The Yellow stamp printed in 10.000 units; so the scarcest.10.000 is still a very high figure for a "Rare stamp" even for modern day printings…..

The big winner is the Austrian PO.
Valued Member
United States
459 Posts
Posted 06/21/2019   3:15 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Germania to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The fact that the stamps depict a unicorn says a lot about the aspirations of the crypto firm peddling this stuff.
Valued Member
Austria
8 Posts
Posted 06/21/2019   3:22 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add MartinDP to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
@perf12 the scarcest is the red one with 1500 prints
Pillar Of The Community
France, Metropolitan
3377 Posts
Posted 06/21/2019   3:31 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add perf12 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Extract from "Gods-and-monsters.com":

One scholar pointed out another interesting fact about unicorns - they are possibly the only mythical creature that is not based on human fears. Unicorns are not monsters. Anytime they are spoken of in ancient texts they are revered and respected. They are strong, solitary animals who seek to do good for all around them. Never does a unicorn pose a threat to humans, or any other creature that does not seek first to harm them.
Page: of 4 Previous TopicReplies: 55 / Views: 4,843Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2023 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2023 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.25 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05