Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Show Me Your Airmail Covers, Envelope Designs

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 8
Pillar Of The Community
United States
700 Posts
Posted 08/13/2019   07:19 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DonSellos to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
A smaller checkerboard pattern, half blue and half red.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
700 Posts
Posted 08/14/2019   07:44 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DonSellos to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This checkerboard with small staggered or scattered red and blue squares is a variation of the A.C. Roesseler design posted above by John Becker. The design continues on the reverse and has a copyright notice by A.C. Roesseler.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
700 Posts
Posted 08/15/2019   07:07 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DonSellos to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Another variation on the checkerboard borders. Unfortunately, there is a silver foil label on this cover that does not scan well.
Edited by DonSellos - 08/15/2019 07:08 am
Pillar Of The Community
United States
700 Posts
Posted 08/16/2019   07:21 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DonSellos to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Moving from the "checkerboards" to what I call the "crossroads" or "intersections" category. These emulate the international designation for registered mail. The variations generally occur in the width of the lines and placement of the intersection on the cover.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
700 Posts
Posted 08/18/2019   06:55 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DonSellos to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
A thinner line crossroads variety.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
700 Posts
Posted 08/19/2019   06:58 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DonSellos to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Crossroads with double thin lines.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
700 Posts
Posted 08/20/2019   06:57 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DonSellos to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
A partial crossroads designed, perhaps, to allow more space for cachets or return addresses.
Valued Member
United States
113 Posts
Posted 08/20/2019   3:20 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add zepman to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Another two to add to the theme

Pillar Of The Community
United States
700 Posts
Posted 08/21/2019   07:13 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DonSellos to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
A 'dead end" crossroads freeing up more space on the left side for cachet or return address.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
700 Posts
Posted 08/22/2019   07:35 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DonSellos to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
A dead end crossroads formed with small red and blue squares.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
700 Posts
Posted 08/23/2019   07:46 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DonSellos to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The last of my crossroads,this one multiple crossroads.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
700 Posts
Posted 08/24/2019   2:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DonSellos to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This cover can be categorized as flags or stars. I put it in flags and it is my only flags border that is of U.S. origin.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1116 Posts
Posted 08/24/2019   7:34 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Stampman2002 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
DonSellos, that is a fantastic cover (771). So many auxiliary markings on it. Love it!
Pillar Of The Community
United States
700 Posts
Posted 08/25/2019   5:03 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DonSellos to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
DonSellos, that is a fantastic cover (771). So many auxiliary markings on it.

Thanks, Stampman. One other thing I like about that cover is the bullseye slogan cancel on the stamp.

Don

Moving on to my next category, Lines and Bars, I will post only a selected few. Many in this category have already been shown by others and I don't wish to duplicate what others have posted. The below NAMW cover from Qunicy, MA, I am certain, is new to this category because on close examination when mounting the cover I discovered the airmail border and "via air mail" box above the address are hand drawn. I measured the distances from the enlarged portions of the lines in the center of the border to the corners of the smaller lines and they are exactly the same for all four positions. Surely whoever drew this border was a skilled draftsman or calligrapher. Unfortunately, someone at sometime inked out the name of the addressee.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
700 Posts
Posted 08/26/2019   12:27 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DonSellos to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
A couple more examples of Lines and Bars varieties. Both the horizontal red & blue bars and the diagonal red & blue bars are common designs seen from the 1920s forward. The two designs together crossing one another is seen less frequently. The cachet on the Century of Progress cover is copyrighted by Lytle Adams, a dentist who successfully developed and sold the concept of inflight pick-up and dispatch of airmail.

The second cover with red & blue bars being pulled across the bottom of the envelope by an airplane is a common design the variations of which include the width of the bars, the type of airplane, and the direction its flying. This type is frequently seen on covers from Latin America.

Page: of 8 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2019 Stamp Community Forums
It took 1.34 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05