Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

APS To Sponsor Exploring Stamps (Youtube Channel Produced And Hosted By Graham Beck)

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 15 / Views: 1,372Next Topic  
Rest in Peace
United States
4052 Posts
Posted 07/31/2019   12:02 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add ikeyPikey to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Bellefonte, PA— July 17, 2019 — Today, the American Philatelic Society, the largest, non-profit organization for stamp collectors in the world, announced its sponsorship of Exploring Stamps, a YouTube channel produced and hosted by Graham Beck.

Since December 2016, Beck has taken his love of stamp collecting and made it come to life, garnering more than 580,000 video views and 6,700 subscribers to the Exploring Stamps channel.

"We have been working aggressively to recruit and educate the modern stamp collector," said Scott English, Executive Director of the APS, "Partnering with Exploring Stamps is another innovative tool to help collectors connect and grow in the hobby."

"Partnering with the APS is an exciting new milestone for Exploring Stamps and its viewers," said Beck. "This support, endorsement and encouragement will further grow the channel and help to reach an even wider audience. It is an honor to work with the APS and I look forward to seeing where this opportunity takes us."

New Content Initiatives for the American Philatelic Society

Recently, APS announced the hiring of Thomas Loebig, as its new Chief Content Officer. Loebig, an experienced digital media and television executive, is tasked with enhancing all of the society's content offerings in digital media, video, social media and print.

"Exploring Stamps visually explains stamp collecting in an easy to understand manner, said Loebig. "We love Graham's passion. Our sponsorship shows how we will evolve the APS content to delight our current members, attract new members and promote stamp collecting as a hobby for everyone."

About the American Philatelic Society

With nearly 28,000 members in more than 110 countries, the APS is the largest, non-profit organization for stamp collectors in the world. Founded in 1886, the APS serves collectors, educators, postal historians, and the general public by providing a wide variety of programs and services.

The Society is entirely supported by membership dues, gifts, and the sale of publications, souvenirs, and services. The American Philatelic Society is located in Bellefonte, Pennsylvania and online at www.stamps.org

About Exploring Stamps

Graham Beck has been the host and producer of the Exploring Stamps YouTube channel since 2016. The online video channel is dedicated to the promotion of philately through short entertaining videos. Since the channel's launch, Graham has attracted over half a million views and gained a global following of almost 7000 subscribers. Graham's interest in philately started as a child growing up in South Africa where he enjoyed collecting new issues with friends. After rediscovering the hobby as an adult, he began producing videos to share his passion with others while demonstrating what stamp collecting has to offer. From Apollo missions to Icelandic Volcanos, the channel has covered a number of fascinating topics related to philately, often involving travel and special video effects. Graham is based in New Jersey with his wife Laura who eagerly takes part behind the scenes with her nifty camera work.

-30-
Send note to Staff

Valued Member
United States
85 Posts
Posted 07/31/2019   11:10 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add CL_Arctos to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Cool! I've never heard of this YouTube channel before, so I'll have to check it out sometime. Thanks for sharing!
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3204 Posts
Posted 07/31/2019   11:18 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add angore to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Graham already has almost 7000 subscribers. Considering many subscribers may not be society members, it is a good way to advertise by sponsoring him. He makes some high quality educational and entertaining videos.
Al
Edited by angore - 07/31/2019 11:23 am
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2455 Posts
Posted 07/31/2019   2:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add txstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It certainly seems like a good move for the APS.

I hope that they get some good value for this, and are able to track how many new members find out about the APS from here.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2570 Posts
Posted 07/31/2019   4:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hy-brasil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Graham Beck's vlog/show is new to me. I find it to be very high quality and watchable for anyone, though geared toward the beginner which Beck admits he more or less is. I particularly liked his quick watermarking demo as part of his Australia show. He is willing to do research online which seems to be something lacking in most beginners today. So you beginners out there, follow Graham Beck and you might actually learn things you really need to know while being entertained.
Rest in Peace
United States
4052 Posts
Posted 07/31/2019   4:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ikeyPikey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
... Graham already has almost 7000 subscribers ...

We should remember that these are click-to-subscribe, no investment, no obligation, 'subscribers'.

It is entirely possible that very few have ever revisited his channel.

(I don't know about everyone else, but I get lots of eMail newsletters that I rarely look at.)

Still, a forward-looking move by the APS, who are far better-off supporting a proven supplier than duplicating this capability in-house.

And, speaking of videos, and outreach:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCH...PGQdIf1vXZWg ... Smithsonian's National Postal Museum videos

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCV...D-k93RnXi7pQ ... Spellman Museum series Going Postal

https://www.youtube.com/user/RMPLDenver ... Rocky Mountain Philatelic Library

Cheers,

/s/ ikeyPikey
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3204 Posts
Posted 07/31/2019   5:17 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add angore to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Graham cannot make up the deficit of videos that APS could produce. Many missed opportunities but is about priority. I looked at some of the videos at C3a portal and most were older ones just group together . The duty now likely falls on the shoulders of the Chief Content Officer.

As for Graham's site, I am sure he has the stats. I wonder if APS checked this before spending a lot of money sponsoring.

The RMPL are very recent from the show. How did they do it?
Al
Edited by angore - 07/31/2019 5:21 pm
Rest in Peace
United States
4052 Posts
Posted 07/31/2019   8:53 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ikeyPikey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
... Graham cannot make up the deficit of videos that APS could produce ...

I would not suggest that APS begin an in-house crash program to "make up" an alleged "deficit".

Teaming with a proven producer is the better plan.

Quote:
... I wonder if APS checked this before spending a lot of money sponsoring ...

We do not know what APS is explicitly committing to the new partnership.

Possible non-cash resources would include hours from staff & volunteers at the APRL, and promotion thru The American Philatelist and https://stamps.org/.

We should not wonder aloud if the APS has been reckless with their cash, especially as the only thing we do know so far is that they have made the judicious choice of teaming with a proven producer.

Cheers,

/s/ ikeyPikey
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3204 Posts
Posted 08/01/2019   5:31 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add angore to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I was told APS would be prominently displayed in future videos as part of this sponsorship.

As for the checking comment, I was responding to the comments about the subscriber count.
Al
Learn More...
9903 Posts
Posted 08/01/2019   5:51 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
When you send users to YouTube, they rarely come back in that same session. Additionally, if folks think that eBay is an 800 pound gorilla, then YouTube/Google is King Kong. (2018 Google/YouTube revenue was $136 billion, eBay was $10 billion.) Google/YouTube are not 'free'. If I were APS, I would not be encouraging APS members to use Facebook and YouTube. The objective is to build APS website traffic, not to be padding Facebook and Google's pockets.
Make you own videos. Host your own videos.

For example...Foster has been posting the APS meeting minutes from Omaha over on Delphi. He is not the APS secretary, just a fellow who is trying to help. Its great that he is willing to do this. But I assume that APS secretary is taking the 'official' APS minutes, so this is probably a duplication of effort.

But should anyone be taking written meeting minutes? Should not the meeting simply be recorded for archival purposes? Should it be streamed in real time for the 90% of APS members who are not attending Omaha?
Ditto for the show itself, I would have gladly paid for a streaming of the programs, exhibits, and show.
Don
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2455 Posts
Posted 08/01/2019   7:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add txstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I would have gladly paid for a streaming of the programs, exhibits, and show.

That's a good idea, Don.
The APS should consider something like that to bring remote members into their shows.

People aren't necessarily going to come 'to the APS (shows)' as much anymore, due to the Internet, so the APS needs to bring their events into the home.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
463 Posts
Posted 08/02/2019   12:34 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mml1942 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with studebaker51 that these videos should be hosted on the APS site rather than directing them to a YouTube channel.
Perhaps one way to handle it would be to have them posted on YouTube, but have them also posted on the APS site, where there would be no non-APS distractions or redirecting of the viewers interests.

I shudder at the lost time I personally experience when someone on this or other the forums posts a link to a YouTube channel, and I get sucked in to watching all the other things their AI thinks I might like (and they are so right - how did they know?)

You'd think a mature person of my self discipline and will power would not be so enticed, and you'd be so wrong! It's like eating that one Lay's potato chip.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
463 Posts
Posted 08/02/2019   12:47 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mml1942 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This thread also just reminded me of an email sent to Cathy Brachbill back in 2015 about the time she joined APS.

I outlined a number of concepts and thoughts, but one that I which was included was to for the APS tot identify a set of 30-50 basic subjects related to stamps collecting, tutorials, techniques, background on collecting areas and the like, and the have a series of competitions where APS members could create a YouTube style video on the subjects, submit them, and the APS could include on their website those which met the desired standards, , and perhaps offer small award, or free memberships to those who created accepted videos.

In one sense, this is what they are doing with Graham Beck, but I was thinking in terms of developing a wider range of contributors. I realize that this type of video production is not something that every collector can do, but I have no doubt there are many collectors who are very video and computer literate, and might find such a project a challenge if there were some benefits to them.
Rest in Peace
United States
4052 Posts
Posted 08/02/2019   12:58 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ikeyPikey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
http://goscf.com/t/47951&whichpage=4#413668 ... mine of 20160217

Cheers,

/s/ ikeyPikey
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3204 Posts
Posted 08/02/2019   3:59 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add angore to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I had suggested to them they just post the videos that had created from the slide shows. The answer was it was not a priority.

My view is APS among others suffers from inertia on wanting to have complete control in all aspects. They now have someone new as chief content manager so maybe we will see movement but they do not have the manpower.

I could see USSS creating a series of videos based upon chapters in their Encyclopedia of Stamp Collecting.

The RMPL posted videos recently of seminars from s recent show so not like a technical issue anyone else could overcome.

Al
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
463 Posts
Posted 08/02/2019   4:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mml1942 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Great minds think alike.
  Previous TopicReplies: 15 / Views: 1,372Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.28 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05