Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

I Bought An Interesting Scott Collection

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 1,577Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...

United States
1554 Posts
Posted 09/28/2019   11:31 pm  Show Profile Check KRelyea's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add KRelyea to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I bought a Worldwide collection in 20 volumes. It seems the collection was assembled in the mid 1940s by purchasing regional Scott Specialty Albums ie;

I was surprised that it was possible to assemble a WW collection in this manner but so far I have not found any missing countries.

Most of the collection was housed in old green Specialty binders that were in excellent condition in spite of their age, but the best part for me were the 5 volumes in Brown Binders;

I've never seen these before and I really like them.

Is anyone else familiar with these Scott items?
Send note to Staff

Valued Member
375 Posts
Posted 09/29/2019   2:01 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add 1840to1940 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Great purchase. I wrote about the annual albums a couple of times on my blog. They started with the "Provisional" albums in 1929. The dates for the stamps in the annual albums match the corresponding Scott catalog coverage and thus are not complete years. One of Scott's ads mentions the "annual albums which provide spaces for stamps issued between publications of the Standard Postage Stamp Catalogue." The big question is whether there was an album for 1939-1940. The Vintage Reproductions edition of the Browns covers 1939-40, but it is possible that the pages were reconstructed from the Green Specialty series.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
Canada
927 Posts
Posted 09/29/2019   2:58 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gmot to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Those are very interesting - thanks for showing them!
Pillar Of The Community
3762 Posts
Posted 09/29/2019   9:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The history of Scott albums can be traced fairly well through the ad section in the back of their catalogs. There is a bit of a lag in publishing updates for the recent years back then. The first listing I see for the "Provisional Album" is in the 1927 catalog:

And continuing through the 1934 catalog:

The 1937 catalog announcing the first "Annual Album". Interesting to note that a previous owner has penciled-in additional dates through "1939-40":

1941 catalog listing 5 Annual Albums available through 1938-39.

I do not have a 1942 Scott catalog handy to see if a 1939-40 Annual Album is marketed, but on an album publishing tangent, the 1942 catalog announces the discontinuance of another series:

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
6645 Posts
Posted 09/29/2019   9:32 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Those albums were $100 and up in today's dollars. They were well made though.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
576 Posts
Posted 09/29/2019   10:56 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add modernstamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Very Nice Albums!
Valued Member
375 Posts
Posted 09/30/2019   3:51 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add 1840to1940 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
John Becker, thank you for posting those images.
Valued Member
United States
260 Posts
Posted 09/30/2019   4:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DaveG28 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Nice stuff! Thanks for sharing.
Pillar Of The Community
1015 Posts
Posted 10/03/2019   01:58 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DrewM to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Back to Ken's original comment about assembling a worldwide collection in Scott Specialty albums. Around 1940, 1941, or so, Scott stopped selling its bound International album in its hardbound brown covers, as can be seen in the "To Be Discontinued" advertisement among John's wonderful scans of album advertisements above.

For remaining worldwide collectors, Scott soon after began selling the blue covered worldwide album we know as the Scott International album. It was created from pages that had formerly been used in their Scott "Junior" International album, meaning that it had spaces for only more common stamps for a "representative" collection of the world's stamps. That's the same blue-bound International album we have today which has now grown to a huge number of volumes. It was now published in a two-post loose leaf format, allowing adding of later pages.

You couldn't do that with the earlier hardbound brown albums which seem to have turned into somewhat of a publishing mess. After 1900 or so, new hardbound volumes had to be issued every decade or so. A second volume was published covering 1900-20, another for just the 1920s, then two or three volumes for the 1930s alone. You can't keep that up for long. Adding annual page supplements is much easier. At first, Scott tried quarterly supplements (again thanks to the ads), then they tried binding annual supplements into hardbound volumes, then they gave up entirely on the Brown album, tuning it into the green Specialty albums series.
Taken directly from the old Brown International pages, Specialty albums have the very same comprehensive page layouts.

The new blue International which began as the earlier one-volume junior worldwide album, was soon providing spaces for all new stamps by about the 1950s. It became entirely comprehensive from that point on. Scott did not go back and add spaces for stamps that had been omitted when it was the "Junior" album, unfortunately. Too complicated to redo all those pages, I imagine. That means the current International album's 1840-1940 pages can be a bit spotty in coverage at times. But from about 1950 on, it's pretty complete coverage.

In any case, the collector of these 20 very early Scott Specialty albums purchased some of the first of their kind. They covered stamps comprehensively from 1840 to their publication date in the mid-1940s. They wouldn't have the large number of pages or the number of binders modern Specialty albums require. Most were in one volume.

As the ad said, "Specialty albums had replaced the (worldwide) International albums in popularity". But not for this collector, apparently, who wanted to collect the world!

The larger regional Specialty albums which covered groups of countries eventually became albums for the separate countries. You can still collect much of the world in green Scott Specialty albums, but not all. Scott has discontinued some of the early Specialty albums.
Edited by DrewM - 10/03/2019 02:33 am
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1565 Posts
Posted 10/03/2019   09:49 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Climber Steve to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Drew M wrote: "That means the current International album's 1840-1940 pages can be a bit spotty in coverage at times."

That's an understatement. I've phased out the Part 1 International pages for my advanced collections. But there are even omissions in the post 1940 International parts. As an example, the three semi-postals issued by Poland in 1946 for education do not have places in the International, even though the recent catalogue is only $15 each for mint. I found some blank spots on the 1940s semi-postal page for the stamps, but have had to use blank quadrille pages for the miniature sheets.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
Canada
927 Posts
Posted 10/03/2019   12:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gmot to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
There are indeed quite a few omissions in the 1940s coverage, although much better than pre-1940 of course. For the 1950s, I've found really only the officials consistently missing. Not sure about later, as don't collect past then. So for any country I'm quite interested in, now doing my own pages or Palo.
  Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 1,577Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.33 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05