Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Poorly Faked Scott 353

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 16 / Views: 1,458Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
United States
33 Posts
Posted 01/08/2020   7:15 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add ehall928 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I purchased this stamp through an online auction (not eBay) as a Scott 353. I should have noticed before I bid on it but I didn't see the problem until it arrived.

I found, of course, that 353 should be a "Two Cents" variety and that there shouldn't be a vertical perf 12 coil in the "2 Cents 2" stamp. Looking more closely the perfs look funky and the crooked cut at the top suggests to me that this is a 482 that someone perfed and sold as a 353. I don't see a watermark either. I didn't pay very much for the stamp but it is a lesson I will remember -- I'll keep it as a clearly labeled curiosity if the auction house doesn't want it back. Are my conclusions correct?

Thank you, Eric

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
4766 Posts
Posted 01/08/2020   7:29 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
"I didn't see the problem until it arrived."

You have got to be joking.

What "auction house" sold this as a 353?
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United States
33 Posts
Posted 01/08/2020   7:38 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ehall928 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I'm not sure I should reveal that until they respond to my question about it. I really should have seen it immediately before I placed a bid.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
4766 Posts
Posted 01/08/2020   9:20 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Maybe the "auction house" should have seen it before they sold it as a 353?!
Valued Member
United States
33 Posts
Posted 01/10/2020   2:40 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ehall928 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
They haven't responded. Maybe I'm not big enough fish for them to worry about. It was Rosenberg Philatelics.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
393 Posts
Posted 01/10/2020   2:59 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add uboatnut to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
They are constantly running lots of 3 and 6 day auctions on HipStamp; one right after the other.

I keep noticing that many of their stamp images show yellow, tan, or gold perf tips. I can't tell if it is due to their lighting or if it is toning or foxing, neither of which I want in my collection. I won't bid on one of those, even if it looks good otherwise. Caveat emptor.
Edited by uboatnut - 01/10/2020 3:04 pm
Learn More...
8370 Posts
Posted 01/10/2020   3:36 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
"They" (Rosenberg Philatelics) is Mark Rosenberg, and he is Founder & CEO - Hip eCommerce (HipStamp).
Don
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1347 Posts
Posted 01/10/2020   3:56 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add dudley to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This is no surprise. This seller constantly misidentifies the US One-Cent 1851-61 issues.
Canada
3 Posts
Posted 01/10/2020   4:32 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stampfan to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I also noticed rosenburg philatelics currently has a Canadian #16 for sale. I am not an expert but this is almost certainly #17. What does everyone else think?
https://www.hipstamp.com/listing/ca...sed/30231545
Valued Member
United States
33 Posts
Posted 01/10/2020   5:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ehall928 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
They did send an apology and offer to refund. Volume causes quality control issues.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1347 Posts
Posted 01/10/2020   6:01 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add dudley to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Volume causes quality control issues.

Perhaps so. However, my messages regarding incorrect identifications go unanswered and, much worse, the lots remain up for sale unchanged.
Valued Member
United States
352 Posts
Posted 01/11/2020   5:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mootermutt987 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
At some point, I started getting all kinds of e-mails from Hip Stamps trying to get me to visit the site. I have visited a few times and have seen numerous 'issues' with the descriptions. It appears to me to go beyond "Volume causes quality control issues" and approaches the realm of "something is hinky here'. With all the issues that I can see in a scans, I wonder how many issues there are that I cannot see in a scan. I now 'auto-delete' their e-mails. I won't bid there.
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
688 Posts
Posted 01/11/2020   5:45 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add dutchman1948 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Don

If I read your comment correctly, Marc is selling his own stuff on Hip Stamp?

To me that would be an absolute red flag.

Similar to the currency dealer certifying his own notes and selling them.
Valued Member
177 Posts
Posted 01/11/2020   11:02 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bobplates to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Dutchman

It looks to me like Rosenberg is acting as a conduit for another large holder/dealer to offer up US material in an auction format. His feedback has gone from low to 17k in the last short while... all driven by "no reserve" auctions. Previously he showed not much inventory... now all of sudden it is gushing out.

Perhaps there is an innocent explanation. Like, I am trying to get some auction activity going to drive traffic to the fixed priced listings... That would be OK I guess. All I know is that the purveyor of the marketplace becoming the largest seller is pretty troubling.

I would love to hear what Mark has to say about this. I know that Elizabeth Warren(not like I love most of her policy rhetoric) has pointed out the antitrust activities of Amazon... doing exactly the same thing... ie being a competitor on your own platform. The imagination can certainly run wild. Especially when you consider the opaque nature of realized prices on Hipstamp... it has many advantages over eBay but sorely lacks in that area.

Bob
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
4766 Posts
Posted 01/12/2020   12:15 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Whatever the backstory is the main issue here is that Mark is selling stamps that are stunningly misidentified at best. That is a very bad example to set when buyers are looking for a site that runs a tight ship and the owner of the site has listings that make NYStamps look like RAS.
Valued Member
United States
232 Posts
Posted 01/12/2020   03:41 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Dry Tech to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
At some point, I started getting all kinds of e-mails from Hip Stamps trying to get me to visit the site.

I still do although I can't remember visiting their site. No big deal, I just delete them. So I guess I'm not the only one. I haven't bought a stamp from any online venue in at least a year.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 16 / Views: 1,458Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 1.15 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05