Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Help Center For Japanese Stamps

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Replies: 61 / Views: 1,622Next Topic
Page: of 5
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
29325 Posts
Posted 05/21/2020   03:05 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Brickbats to the Scott Cataloguing system

Just spent 30 minutes finding 1 stamp
I knew : It was 1996, (June 6th) it was 80 yen Philatelic week, and the prints by Moronobu.
Easy peasy ? ...not on your life.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by rod222 - 05/21/2020 03:08 am
Valued Member
Australia
113 Posts
Posted 05/21/2020   04:59 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Jad to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi rodd222.
In my old 2010 std. it's just a notation, no pics.
Try Sc.# 2418 - 2421a ;)

PS...From type A206, 1948, Nov 6th. Sc.# 422, might help.
Edited by Jad - 05/21/2020 05:07 am
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
29325 Posts
Posted 05/21/2020   05:10 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Jad,
also in Scott, just a notation

Scott in their wisdom has included it amongst the 1994 issues.
Whomever does the descriptors for Scott and Japan, earns a gong from me.

Sakura has it as "1996 Philatelic Week", Scott shows a differing image for that.

Scott hiearchy listings goes, 1994 1994, 1995, 1995, 1995, 1996, 1994, 1994 and onwards

Edited by rod222 - 05/21/2020 05:20 am
Valued Member
Australia
113 Posts
Posted 05/21/2020   05:36 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Jad to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

I just realized I misunderstood your post & you had already probably found it..... Long day here mate ;)

Mine has the picture of the earlier design, & with pretty much the same notation as you posted & mixed in with the 1994 issues
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
29325 Posts
Posted 05/21/2020   1:46 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
All's good, Jad.
Just starting to organise Japan, before mounting.
Started with a pile of about 1000, and it can be like pulling teeth to catalogue as Japan has a hit and miss attitude with dating stamps.

Then there are the Prefectures.

My results for Moronobu thus far ..................
Have to transpose the Gibbons number also, I am now employing Scott as a preference.

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
514 Posts
Posted 05/21/2020   11:12 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Mrita75 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Sharing what I believe to be my Older Japanese stamps :). I have been focused on my Mexico collection and have not gotten to categorize these. Just felt like sharing and adding to the thread - these may not even be Japanese - but I assume they are... as well as being common - They are eye catching to me.

Edited by Mrita75 - 05/21/2020 11:17 pm
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
29325 Posts
Posted 05/22/2020   12:18 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, Nora, all Japanese.
May be common, but hold a lot of intracasies for study
I am only learning, so beyond me, but there are lots of threads here
for the "Koban" series.

I am just sorting and cataloguing, will probably take a month.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
514 Posts
Posted 05/22/2020   12:29 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Mrita75 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Rod. Koban Series - very cool. Glad this thread was started. Nora.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
336 Posts
Posted 05/22/2020   12:46 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add EMaxim to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Rod,
Pardon my technological ignorance, but would you explain your cataloguing system? I assume those are scans of individual stamps. What are they superimposed upon, and how do you enter the ID information? Lovely to look at, but rather time-consuming, I should imagine. Do you keep a record of all your stamps this way? Surely that must make several hundreds of thousands, no?
Eric
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
29325 Posts
Posted 05/22/2020   3:02 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Eric.
Yes
The payoff comes when a country is nearing completion.
1 click gets you every stamp you want.
Your naming regime opted for, returns the result
There are tricks, copy and paste names, just alter the suffix, or the cat number.
Using our SCF member "Postmaster GS" (Free) "stamp fix"
That automatically deskews, and crops the images
40 stamps takes me about 30 minutes.

Using this method, one has the entire stamp collection at your fingertips.

Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
29325 Posts
Posted 05/22/2020   3:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Another irritating item from the Scott descriptor
The stamp offers the scientific name, but no, the descriptor offers his own opinion, and what is that? ..."Tortoise"

So what do we have here, a Turtle or a Tortoise

Sc#1203 1975
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
336 Posts
Posted 05/22/2020   9:29 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add EMaxim to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Rod,

Just read through the 11/14/2019 thread in which you and PostmasterGS work through some of the difficulties you had encountered with his software. Think I understand better now the process you're using to catalogue your material. The result is certainly impressive.

Eric
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
29325 Posts
Posted 05/22/2020   10:48 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you Eric, nice words.
Kudos goes to Postmaster GS, fabulous piece of software,
I donate a small sum every year for its use.
Possibly one of my most used philatelic items.

It can be clunky to use, for us,one finger typists, but I am glad I persisted,
Once mastered, is a fabulous tool for the Image Philatelist.

Sometimes I crop and deskew 100's of stamps I originally scanned 10 years ago, when I began.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
894 Posts
Posted 05/23/2020   02:07 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add erilaz to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
So what do we have here, a Turtle or a Tortoise

We have a Ryukyu black-breasted leaf turtle. Or as the katakana to the right of the scientific name call it, a Ryűkyű yamagame (literally "Ryukyu mountain turtle").

But the Japanese word kame that appears in yamagame can mean either "turtle" or "tortoise".
Edited by erilaz - 05/23/2020 02:08 am
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
29325 Posts
Posted 05/23/2020   03:36 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Again, thanks erilatz, translation error.
The stamp scientific name as shown, is now incorrect, it is now binomial. (1992)
--------------------------

Malaya under Japanese Occupation
Found in Scott after "Malayan Federation"
Sc#N31 1943 4c "Tin Mining / dredging"
Edited by rod222 - 05/23/2020 03:45 am
Page: of 5 Replies: 61 / Views: 1,622Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.23 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05