Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Show Your US 1851-57 Imperforate Stamps

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 1,069 / Views: 31,809Next Topic
Page: of 72
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1617 Posts
Posted 07/06/2020   4:06 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Classic Coins to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
ioagoa, Thanks for showing that beautiful Chase-photo copy of 2R2e, and discussing the differences between the Early and Late states caused by extensive re-entry.

I find it fascinating that this C-relief position on the early state of the plate was re-entered with B-relief, and that the re-entry obliterated all traces of the gash on shoulder.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2138 Posts
Posted 07/06/2020   5:33 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add txstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Another cause of a different relief influencing the entry appearance is the 9th row adjustment made on the 3-relief transfer roll #1 of the 1c stamp. Recall that both 9th and 10th row are B reliefs. 9th row have A reliefs above them, while 10th row have B reliefs above them. This means each was guided by a different relief above on the transfer roll.

This produced the 'dingle' at lower left of the 9th row B reliefs, which is, in effect the only place on a B relief where the A relief showed "more" of the design at bottom left than the B. That's how you tell 9th row B reliefs.

There are similar issues on the 3c stamp from the article on guide reliefing, etc, that you brought up earlier.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1617 Posts
Posted 07/06/2020   6:17 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Classic Coins to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the interesting follow-up on the effects of guide reliefing, txstamp.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1617 Posts
Posted 07/07/2020   5:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Classic Coins to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
#11A 8R1L is a known double transfer position, of which I have two copies. One of them is clearly printed, revealing a distinct rectangle on top of the ULDB. The Chase print shows this feature pretty well, but at low resolution. I just wanted to show this composite image of my two copies so the clearly-printed stamp can be seen at 2400 DPI.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
2138 Posts
Posted 07/07/2020   5:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add txstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
That's a neat variety.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
130 Posts
Posted 07/08/2020   11:55 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Chipshot to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Classic Coins your imagery is amazing. Thanks for the many posts!
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1617 Posts
Posted 07/08/2020   12:39 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Classic Coins to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
You're welcome, Chip. I appreciate your contributions and feedback.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1617 Posts
Posted 07/08/2020   12:43 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Classic Coins to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Chase-plated #10A pair; positions 89R2e and 90R2e

Valued Member
12 Posts
Posted 07/09/2020   05:43 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add waelshami to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
859 Posts
Posted 07/09/2020   05:45 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Laurie 02 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Beautiful stamp waelshami
Valued Member
12 Posts
Posted 07/09/2020   06:26 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add waelshami to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanx , can anyone help me identifying it please

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2341 Posts
Posted 07/09/2020   07:51 am  Show Profile Check sinclair2010's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add sinclair2010 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It was already kinda sorta identified as a #9 but I will say that revcollector was 100% correct.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1617 Posts
Posted 07/09/2020   11:57 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Classic Coins to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
A lightly-canceled #17

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
648 Posts
Posted 07/09/2020   12:01 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Moyock13 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Nice! Can you plate it? Just curious.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1617 Posts
Posted 07/09/2020   12:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Classic Coins to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks, Moyock13.

I have no experience plating #17s, although I do have the Neinken book on plating the 12-cent stamps. I could try plating it some time, but probably not in the near future.
Page: of 72 Previous TopicReplies: 1,069 / Views: 31,809Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 2.12 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05