Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Higgins & Gage Postal Stationary Of The World

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 1,191Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community
United States
823 Posts
Posted 06/18/2020   5:29 pm  Show Profile Check docgfd's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add docgfd to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
For a complete set (sans binders, so pages only), anyone have an idea for a fair asking price?
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
4528 Posts
Posted 06/18/2020   8:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add redwoodrandy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Read of a complete set with binders selling for $350 + commission + p&h in a 2010 Dutch Country Auction. Another set selling, unknown where, for $270 + commission in 2016 and was considered a great buy. My info is as outdated as H&G

My guess is that they both had binders or would have been mentioned.

The binders are hard to find, I believe, and hard to replace(unique?)and they are heavy to ship. Hope you receive some higher informative responses.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by redwoodrandy - 06/19/2020 04:37 am
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1336 Posts
Posted 06/20/2020   1:55 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GregAlex to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
How many binders are there in the set?
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
4528 Posts
Posted 06/20/2020   1:56 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add redwoodrandy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
My limited knowledge is 19 binders.

Correction:19 volumes. Binders?

Correction: 19 sections
Edited by redwoodrandy - 06/20/2020 10:30 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1170 Posts
Posted 06/20/2020   3:57 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Hal to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have a complete set an in far less than 19 binders, however the binders are varying widths and combine multiple Letters of the alphabet.
Valued Member
86 Posts
Posted 06/20/2020   10:17 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add michaelschreiber to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The H&G World Postal Stationery Catalog has 19 looseleaf sections, not volumes. The sections were sold with 10 binders.

In addition, there were price supplements (price updates) published into the 1980s. All prices are now useless, of course, even as proportionate price points.

In 1984, H&G republished various pages as a thick "Australasia" section in conjunction with the Ausipex 84 stamp show.

My experience is that I can cram it all into nine H&G binders, but only if I disregard the usual alphabetical order.

With a lot of use, a binder will split at the hinge, usually the front.

The punch holes in the pages and the matching binder rings are nonstandard. I have not looked for replacements at Staples or shopped elsewhere for them in many years.

The catalog is loaded with errors. It takes some practice to understand the listings.

Fair asking price? For a used set $90 would be low and $200 would be high. Plus shipping. $300 is a crazy price for a catalog becoming ever-more-useless as the years march on.
Edited by michaelschreiber - 06/20/2020 10:24 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
823 Posts
Posted 06/20/2020   10:52 pm  Show Profile Check docgfd's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add docgfd to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Well, I ended up with the full set for $50 with a surprise bonus of some original binders included. Clearly for valuation purposes there is little to no utility but I wanted this more as a reference book, and at fifty Simoleans, I couldn't go wrong.
The only issue I have is that even with 3-walls of shelving in my Stamp Den, I'm running out of room and these won't help...
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1170 Posts
Posted 06/21/2020   5:52 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Hal to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
That makes more sense. Mine are named into seven Binders. I've never counted the number of sections.
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
3120 Posts
Posted 06/21/2020   7:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add nigelc to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Many years ago I bought some H&G catalogues from Vera Trinder in London and they sold them in sealed looseleaf alphabetical sections along with separate 3-ring black binders.

Over time I bought five sections (countries beginning with letters A, B, C, G & T) and I keep these in three binders.

I wish I had bought more at the time when they were still available but I had limited cash to spend.

They are of course now well out-of-date but I still find them to be very useful for identification and relative pricing.

After all, the Forbin revenue catalogue is still useful and it was last published in 1915.
Nigel
Valued Member
United States
193 Posts
Posted 06/24/2020   10:57 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ronv to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I purchased a set in (4)binders (not the original binders), I guess for $300.00, a couple of months ago. I think I remember that it was Dutch Country.
Valued Member
18 Posts
Posted 10/07/2020   3:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add 12pence to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I see a reference to this tread today, I would like to add some info

michaelschreiber is right : "The H&G World Postal Stationery Catalog has 19 looseleaf sections, not volumes. The sections were sold with 10 binders."

Here a photo of my 10 original binders with 19 sections

And here an image showing how the sections was sold

Edited by 12pence - 10/07/2020 3:09 pm
  Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 1,191Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.36 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05