Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Bill Langs Passed Away

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 312 / Views: 21,594Next Topic
Page: of 21
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
6382 Posts
Posted 11/29/2020   5:56 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It does boggle the mind. There are a lot of recent (this month) positive feedback comments for large dollar purchases of currency collectibles so somebody is actually delivering those items. There are people behind the storefront. Credit cards are still being processed. This is crazy.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
Canada
878 Posts
Posted 11/29/2020   6:38 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gmot to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The HS store at least is being very actively managed. I noticed an item with multiple offers/counteroffers going back & forth within the last week.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
518 Posts
Posted 11/29/2020   9:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add m and m to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
i wonder if all of the material Bill had was obtained? if so then the cross platform sale without disclosure smells like dead fish in June. it sends the wrong message to potential bidders that any item offered is subject to prior sale without notice. that would do wonders for an organizations reputation.
the silence from the house does make one wonder.
Pillar Of The Community
3659 Posts
Posted 11/29/2020   9:59 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I will borrow a phrase from the most recent post to to build on:

Quote:
the silence from the house does make one wonder.

Since this thread was resurrected on November 21, there have been posts from a total of 19 different people. My question ... have any of you who have taken the time to post here, taken the time to contact the auction house and ask them for their side of the story?

Just curious.
Edited by John Becker - 11/29/2020 9:59 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1157 Posts
Posted 11/29/2020   10:01 pm  Show Profile Check rlsny's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add rlsny to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I wrote an email.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
119 Posts
Posted 11/29/2020   11:18 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add BobInRye to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here's the HipStamp / Lang's response to my query about whether or not they actually have a specific stamp in the upcoming auction. Telling, I think:

Sender: billsbargainstamps
Title: Re: Ribbed paper
If the stamp is on the Auction of Langs, unfortunately, the stamp is only available at the auction for sale. We will eventually remove the listing once we get the auction listings. We appreciate your inquiry.

Respectfully,
Billsbargains
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1157 Posts
Posted 11/29/2020   11:45 pm  Show Profile Check rlsny's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add rlsny to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I got a reply from Kelleher tonight. It was quite good in general. I'm a bit uncomfortable putting the whole thing out here. So here is a summary:

The estate is removing everything in the sale from the other venues - but there have been delays they attribute to the fact that he has some 70,000 listings there etc.

Everything sold will be delivered: "Anything we offer and hammer as sold will be delivered as was for sale one."

Another quote: "Items in question or in error have been withdrawn."

They are clear that they are not aligned with Bill's business practices in some cases and state that they are acting with the utmost integrity.

Overall I felt quite good about the note. Perhaps someone from the auction house will comment further here - I don't know. But they gave me the assurances that I think we'd all want to hear.

Edited by rlsny - 11/29/2020 11:46 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
6382 Posts
Posted 11/30/2020   12:24 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Rlsny - Why not just share the entire email unless it has something personal in it which can be retracted? What makes you uncomfortable? I will write David and share the response in full.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
518 Posts
Posted 11/30/2020   06:50 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add m and m to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
John B: yes my agent did. that is the origin of the "lost in the mails" reply. risny I agree with rodgcam on this. redact any personnel stuff and post their reply please. the house should comment as well if there is to be a closure. it sounds like the sale was/is being rushed thru without due diligence being done, even given the quantity of items involved.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1157 Posts
Posted 11/30/2020   09:43 am  Show Profile Check rlsny's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add rlsny to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Ok, I redacted the comments that were of a more personal nature. Here's the full note.

Thanks for bringing this to our attention. At some point the estate will stop listing and cease operations.

The material in the current Kelleher sale is being removed from eBay/ Hip, which has been communicated to those in charge of these venues (the estate). There is a delay as we work through the 70k plus items plus his massive private holdings. Anything we offer and hammer as sold will be delivered as was for sale one. Items in question or in error have been withdrawn. Don't understand the concerns with what DFK does, as we are handling this holding with the utmost of integrity.

Sorry that Bills business model was to leave everything posted whether sold or not (we do not agree with this). Thats not our business. As we offer goods they are being removed, as far as we know.

<redacted>

Wishing you the best for the Holidays.

Regards,
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
6382 Posts
Posted 11/30/2020   10:11 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
As we offer goods they are being removed, as far as we know.

Such a stunning lack of clarity here. What does it mean? If DFK is not currently "offering goods" the lots are available on eBay? Why not just remove all of the listings if DFK has possession of the items? They all showed up in the Brinks truck, right? It still sounds as if everything is for sale online up until the moment of sale at auction? How is that possible?

It would have been great to just hear "DFK has possession of the items offered and what the estate does on Ebay/Hipstamp has no bearing on our activities." If it is out of DFK's control just say so.

The whole thing still sounds like a hot mess IMO.

Clear statements would be sooooo refreshing.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
119 Posts
Posted 11/30/2020   10:20 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add BobInRye to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Well, messages from the lang's store seems consistent with that from Kelleher, BUT the action doesn't seem to be happening on the lang's side.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
224 Posts
Posted 11/30/2020   10:46 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add widglo46 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Since when are any of the auction houses such paragons of integrity that we shouldn't even question their business practices? I for one will do all I can to make them as transparent as possible.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1157 Posts
Posted 11/30/2020   11:09 am  Show Profile Check rlsny's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add rlsny to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Rog, I see part of the answer in the way they describe Bill's business as doing this: "leave everything posted whether sold or not"

If that is true, that means there are items on eBay that have been sold to Kelleher. As I'm reading that, it is the eBay listing that is in violation by listing an item not in their possession. Kelleher bought the property and it is the estate's job to clean up the venues.

Does that sound feasible?
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
528 Posts
Posted 11/30/2020   11:27 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rismoney to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The real proper response here, after the first go round should have been a letter like this:

Dear Lang's Estate:
We need you to remove all public and private listings of stamps prior to us publishing our auction catalogs. We cannot proceed forward until you have certified that this process is complete as all stamps are now in our possession. Let us know and we will confirm on our end and then we will move forward.

-The Auction House

The second reply needs to go -

We will need to halt all our bids and postpone the auction until the above has been satisfied...

This is how you manage integrity.

Edited by rismoney - 11/30/2020 11:29 am
Page: of 21 Previous TopicReplies: 312 / Views: 21,594Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.27 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05