Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Bill Langs Passed Away

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 301 / Views: 18,407Next Topic
Page: of 21
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
4323 Posts
Posted 09/12/2020   1:31 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add redwoodrandy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
On some of the Pony Express issues he was selling more copies of uncertified stamps then exist. They were reprints. "Hey remember,let's be careful out there."
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by redwoodrandy - 09/12/2020 7:15 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2514 Posts
Posted 09/12/2020   1:47 pm  Show Profile Check eyeonwall's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add eyeonwall to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
"Given Lang's pricing, the auction estimate seems a bit high"

Agree, but Kelleher, like Regency used to be, always ste their estimates and reserves high.

"I wonder if the material is consigned or if Kelleher purchased the material outright."

Seriously doubt they bought this outright.

"If one chooses just one Scott number 70c, Bill had virtually all of the unused copies that one saw offered on line. However, if one reviews all of those copies most were offered with either no certificate, a certificate noting faults which counterbalanced the "gem app" description, or a clean PF cert but from the days of John Hall and Louise Boyd Dale as chairman."

Who whould buy a 70c without a cert? Everything he had that should have had a cert but didn't was just part of a game of where's Waldo (where's the fault).

"Contrary to Coogle's rosy narrative regarding sales prices I see this mass dispersal as having a negative impact on retail prices for some issues. You cannot dump multiple copies, in some cases hundreds of copies, of scarce/semi-rare or highly sought after issues and not depress prices."

Agree.

"I am extremely curious about the balance lots and material that Bill had that was not gone through. Maybe he did not operate in such a way that he had lots of this material. Anybody have any insight?"

At auctions he mostly bought single items. Any collections he bought were usually specialized. I doubt there was much if any that he didn't "go through", but there was stuff that he hadn't gotten around to putting up. In aqddition to his stock, he did have some kind of collection, but I wonder how well organized it was?

"He refused to negotiate on material he acquired for fractions of the price. I never quite got that greed. "

Bill in a nutshell.

"I advise anyone to spend the time it takes to carefully search the PF and PSE databases for certs that aren't mentioned"

He was not above "losing" negative opinion certs.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
576 Posts
Posted 09/12/2020   3:39 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mootermutt987 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I just wonder if Kelleher will give (or get) the time this load of stamps deserves to lot it properly. I wouldn't be surprised to see many 'wholesale' lots, which would be good for dealers. I would LIKE to see many more individual lots, good for collectors.

Considering what Bill's family probably heard of the value of this stock, I would be shocked if they accepted an offer (from Kelleher) for pennies on the dollar. Also, I doubt this is the type of stock that any dealer would want to buy as a complete lot. I fully expect this was consigned.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
600 Posts
Posted 09/12/2020   5:22 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add funcitypapa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Eye on wall—who should buy a 70c without a cert—obviously no one.
What dealer should offer a 70c without a cert—the same answer.

Having said that, if you recall the 70d with og that was found last year by Blackjack as I recall was offered at an auction without a cert
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1903 Posts
Posted 09/12/2020   6:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jkelley01938 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I am sorry to hear about Bill. He was always fair to me in our dealings.

Jack Kelley
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
91 Posts
Posted 09/12/2020   11:37 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add BobInRye to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Mid-October date for first sale seems aggressive. I imagine there will be limited PR.
Valued Member
United States
489 Posts
Posted 09/13/2020   07:38 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add m and m to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
for the sake of the hobby I hope the lotting and descriptions will be done by someone who knows the material. the items will speak for themselves, but as has been pointed out too much at one time will upset the market.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7308 Posts
Posted 10/03/2020   2:03 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have heard that they are finding items that they did not know he had; things sent to potential customers that were returned to Langs but never taken out of the return envelope, etc.
Valued Member
United States
93 Posts
Posted 10/03/2020   2:03 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jamesg to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Has anyone heard anymore about this yet? (Dates? How many auctions? Lots?)
Pillar Of The Community
United States
5113 Posts
Posted 10/03/2020   2:15 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add floortrader to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The problem with multiple auctions of any inventory is the buyers are always holding something back because the next auction is going to have better stuff.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2458 Posts
Posted 10/03/2020   3:43 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add chasa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
maybe they will try to sell this stinker which has been on eBay for year (and reported to them). https://www.ebay.com/itm/300-312-SH....m1438.l2649
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1826 Posts
Posted 10/03/2020   3:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add shermae to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Chasa, sorry to be dumb but I have always focused solely on foreign. Would you mind expanding your thoughts on what you find objectionable about the Lang's eBay lot you shared?
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7308 Posts
Posted 10/03/2020   4:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The $2 is the perf 10 variety and not the perf 12 variety that belongs with this set. about $35 cat instead of $200.
Pillar Of The Community
3345 Posts
Posted 10/03/2020   4:11 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The $2 stamp is perf 10, thus is Scott 479 instead of 312, which is a catalog difference of over $150 - in the wrong direction.

Add: Shermae's point is very valid. When criticizing another's property as less than advertised, it is best to explain fully and carefully.
Edited by John Becker - 10/03/2020 4:13 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1826 Posts
Posted 10/03/2020   4:38 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add shermae to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Especially for forum members who are interested to learn but who have less knowledge in your areas of expertise. :-)

A perf variety in the wrong direction is a pretty big and difficult miss if you know the material and you're tuned in.
Page: of 21 Previous TopicReplies: 301 / Views: 18,407Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.17 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05