Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Hawid Vs Prinz/Scott Mount Thickness

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 318Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2847 Posts
Posted 09/26/2020   09:39 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add angore to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Just a tid bit.

I purchased some HAWID mounts and noticed they felt a little thicker. Using my calipers, the HAWIDS were almost 0.16mm thick and the Scott/Prinz was 0.14mm. The HAWIDs seem to be less prone to be taking a set after stretching open compare to a split mount sliced lengthwise.
Send note to Staff
Al

Pillar Of The Community
United States
1407 Posts
Posted 09/26/2020   10:08 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Climber Steve to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
How do these compare with Showguard mounts, which I use almost exclusively? I don't own calipers.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1875 Posts
Posted 09/26/2020   3:34 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jkelley01938 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hawids are thicker
Pillar Of The Community
834 Posts
Posted 09/27/2020   01:32 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DrewM to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
On a stamp mount, is 0.14 that different from 0.16? How many sheets of ordinary printer paper would that amount to, do you think? Thicker mounts may not be what you want. After all, albums bulge for a reason. An advantage of stamp hinges, I suppose, and thin stamps. A stamp mount has two layers of plastic, plus the album page, plus any interleaving, plus of course the stamp itself. In an older sewn-binding album, mounts are (were?) a main cause of the dreaded bulging syndrome, but in a more modern loose-leaf album you'd just start another volume.
Learn More...
8463 Posts
Posted 09/27/2020   04:00 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
On a stamp mount, is 0.14 that different from 0.16? ...

I think it can be significant; it means that for every 100 pages you are increasing the thickness of the album by 2" (assuming mounts on every page). Using thicker mounts results in buying more binders.
Don
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1315 Posts
Posted 09/27/2020   07:46 am  Show Profile Check KRelyea's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add KRelyea to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hawid are top loaders while Showguards are split back, to me that is the important difference. I use Hawid exclusively and like them a lot.
  Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 318Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.22 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05