Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Recent Experiences - The Good And The Bad

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 77 / Views: 3,943Next Topic
Page: of 6
Valued Member
United States
89 Posts
Posted 10/21/2020   7:59 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add knick1959 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I've purchased half a dozen or so partial Part 1/2 collections over the past couple years and in each it was obvious that someone had picked through them at some point. Still, I've ended up with quite a few stamps added to my collection. I'm not sure such a thing as a truly unpicked collection exists anymore.

Dale,

And this has almost always worked for me ... but at some certain point buying others' albums to fill holes in your "well filled" example becomes less productive. Unless you find one with very high stamp count. I quit looking for Parts 1 and 2, well mostly, because the number of holes I can fill from any random example is usually not worth it. With a higher stamp count or filled with a picky collector's light cancels or high mint stamp count I will look and consider. This is also when the price starts to go up!

Nick
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by knick1959 - 10/21/2020 8:39 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1435 Posts
Posted 10/21/2020   8:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Climber Steve to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
@knick1959: when I was actively collecting world wide, I had some experiences similar to yours except I was buying collections at auctions. Your posts are bringing back some pleasant memories, and a couple not so pleasant. From my perspective, keep posting. There are a couple others who post their experiences here as they try to build world wide collections. It's all interesting reading.

Oh, I downsized from world wide a couple years ago, although I still have some "strays" laying around. Have three main specialties (Portugal & colonies, Poland, Mexico, all mostly through the late 1960s); and several secondary interests now.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
4737 Posts
Posted 10/21/2020   8:16 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bookbndrbob to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Prior to the "Briefzentrum"/mega sorting center era in Germany, socked-on-the-nose town cancels were a nice feature of Germany kiloware.

West Germany cto's are easy to spot; they are dark, very clear and sharp. I don't see any in knick1959's posting.
Edited by bookbndrbob - 10/21/2020 9:39 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1696 Posts
Posted 10/21/2020   8:27 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add shermae to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks very much Bob, learned a few new things. Those SON cancels shown look really nice.
Valued Member
United States
89 Posts
Posted 10/21/2020   8:33 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add knick1959 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Sometines SON cancels look CTO to me. Are all CTO cancels minimal, or are some "favor" cancels SON?

You typically can't avoid CTOs when dealing with old eastern block countries (Hungary, Czechoslovakia, Romania even Russia). They do make for pretty collections if not too many issues! Also some African countries got into this mode.

The one thing that seems to be common to the majority of CTOs in my collection? They have gum and look generally mint except for the nicely placed cancel. I've found myself swapping out examples for a "better" CTO mark. It doesn't happen often, as they all tend to be placed in about the same place. But sometimes the stars align.

The 21 German stamps I showed early all have no gum. I assume then they are postally used. I can't say for sure, but I'd only be suspicious if I found one with a good coating of gum. Maybe they are favored canceled in a sense, but I believe they were on cover when this happened. Just my opinion.
Valued Member
United States
465 Posts
Posted 10/21/2020   9:29 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mootermutt987 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Knick, I always liked the Liberty Album. I especially liked the little 'blurb' that most of the stamps had printed under them - a bit of a history lesson, if you will. It is not complete, though. Particularly, the grilled stamps in the 1860's and the Re-Issues of 1875, plus others. For a beginner/medium-er, it is a good album. I found when I started getting some of the unlisted stamps that I would put in a quadrille page and lay it out the way I wanted. A packet of 25 quadrille pages lasted me longer than the album. Then I got a Scott National Album. Missing some issues was not a problem. I just never thought it was very 'pretty'. I got a few covers, and multiples, and so I ended up getting a packet of blank pages for that album, to take care of those. Nowadays, there are so many ways to make your own pages. Want fancy? Do it yourself as fancy as you can stand! Want plain? Make it as plain as you want. Want a space for the 4c Columbian error of color? Add it in anywhere you want. The only problem with do-it-yourself pages is the time it takes. I've thought about a combination of Liberty (or National) and adding in my own do-it-yourself pages. Getting the 'match' right, so that 'my' pages and 'their' pages compliment each other is the hard part. Anyway, there are all kinds of threads on the forums about albums/pages/etc. If you wonder about something, search the forums. If it concerns you, it has probably concerned someone else, too.
Valued Member
United States
71 Posts
Posted 10/21/2020   11:12 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jamesg to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I wish I didn't have to mark up album pages, but how do you do that when they don't have a scott# or some other usable identifier? I can't - I need the numbers.
Valued Member
United States
465 Posts
Posted 10/22/2020   04:15 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mootermutt987 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I wish I didn't have to mark up album pages, but how do you do that when they don't have a scott# or some other usable identifier? I can't - I need the numbers.

Unless the album is a Scott album, there would be copyright infringement issues if Scott #'s are printed on the page - printed by the album manufacturer, not by you leaving notes in your album. It is THAT kind of world.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1435 Posts
Posted 10/22/2020   10:56 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Climber Steve to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Mootermutt987 wrote: "the only problem with do-it-yourself pages is the time it takes...." Yes, but..... I've based my collections; those gone and those remaining; on Parts I through V of the Scott Big Blue International album. I made that decision in the early 1980s, before the advent of Scott Vintage Reproduction pages, etc.

Part I at that time, and probably still, is highly deficient in its listing of stamps. In other words, you get the highlights, as determined by Scott, but not complete sets. I've gone to blank quadrille G & K pages for the early issues, or even all, in most of my remaining collections: Portuguese colonies, Canada, Newfoundland, etc. I have trimmed down Scott Specialty pages for Mexico. I've got some Vintage pages for several Port. colonies, but even those don't have spaces for plate & printing flaws, color variations, pairs and other multiples, etc.

When I get around to working on Poland; right now, everything is boxed away; those pages will be a mix of blank quadrille, trimmed down Scott Specialty pages, and some Vario pages for large miniature sheets.
Edited by Climber Steve - 10/22/2020 4:54 pm
Valued Member
United States
89 Posts
Posted 10/22/2020   11:52 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add knick1959 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Part I at that time, and probably still, is highly deficient in its listing of stamps. In other words, you get the highlights, as determined by Scott, but not complete sets. I've gone to blank quadrille G & K pages for the early issues

Interesting. I've had a similar experience with my Part 1. I mentioned 17k. Yes, and it's a pretty messy 17k at that. In addition to "better dupes" where I felt it more important to get through the source remnant album quickly so I would just tuck the new stamp in under the old, saving it for later, there were always the varieties to handle in the same way. Or extensions to the series as printed where a not-included example pops up.

I went down a similar path. I have on my shelves a couple of attempted options. First, I acquired a set of original Brown albums. I still have some but I'm not sure if I retained the full set. For whatever reason I wasn't happy with the idea of using these, so I purchased another collector's started-but-abandoned Brown reprints in binders. Cheaper than going all new, but still not cheap. I have those. Quite awhile ago I started the process of migrating to these albums but didn't get too far. One, I didn't want to ruin the over-packed beauty of my existing Part 1! But honestly, the task of moving 17k loosely attributed stamps into the exact spot they belong in a "includes almost every type" album is daunting. I figured this would be a great retirement pass-time? I have so much work to choose from!

Did I mention that I have 2 closets dedicated to my stamps? I did not. One in my "office" (converted bedroom) with 3 bookcases shoved in and overflowing with Scott binders and related. Another hallway closet stuffed with boxes containing 3-4-5 Scott remnant albums each yet to be processed. And my US riff raff is growing; I may have to find another closet! Or, as I've been trying to do, process albums more quickly and moving them along. Tons to do.

I've always thought of the Browns as the ultimate "complete" albums. I never thought about color variations and such. This isn't a real concern for me, yet, but the add-in pages make sense.
Edited by knick1959 - 10/22/2020 11:59 am
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1902 Posts
Posted 10/22/2020   5:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jkelley01938 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
knick1959,

I have the Mystic too. Love 'em. 16 binders. Sometimes I wish I had purchased the hingeless version. I spent a fortune on Showgard mounts.

Jack Kelley
Pillar Of The Community
United States
4985 Posts
Posted 10/22/2020   5:46 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add floortrader to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
A few general rules ----First you can only buy a few worldwide collections or only a few Scott Internationals #1 or #2 volumes before your buy mostly duplicates .

Second if you spend $250.00 on a Germany collection and then you buy a $500.00 Germany collection that first collection becomes dulipcates to the the bigger collection .That is the" law of most common issue "

At some point this "law of most common issue " hold true even when you spend $5,000.00 to buy the whole dealers stock of 25 red boxes that he build to take to all those years to various stamp shows ,what is left and been picked over by hundreds of collectors. Is the "Law of the Most Common Issues ".

Your fooling yourself to think what you see on eBay today has not been seen and picked over prior to that seller listing it ,sure a few exceptions are out there . But be assured 10 or 15 buyers have looked at it before your eBay seller purchased it .
Valued Member
United States
89 Posts
Posted 10/22/2020   7:59 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add knick1959 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Part I at that time, and probably still, is highly deficient in its listing of stamps. In other words, you get the highlights, as determined by Scott, but not complete sets.

Sometimes Scott does add an extra that you will never apparently find. I've counted many tiny victories by filling a complete page. I was close on one Part 2 Algeria page yet I couldn't even find the Scott# in the any catalog. So I asked in a forum of the time (2007) Interestingly, when I googled the right way I actually found a reference. I swear it was a Usenet newsgroup, and maybe it was, but this looks like a forum:

http://www.collectingbanter.com/sho...php?t=236097

The links to the images were broken but I (surprisingly) found the originals on my drive and restored them. It appears this stamp is what someone called "a ghost". I'll include the images here so you can see one of my typical, sloppy pages as I mentioned having in my Part 1.

Another task that will take some time: making sure I have only one stamp at most in each space.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
Canada
3769 Posts
Posted 10/23/2020   3:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Dianne Earl to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have thoroughly enjoyed reading your adventure Knick.

Dianne
Don't grumble that the roses have thorns, be thankful that the thorns have roses
Pillar Of The Community
United States
4985 Posts
Posted 10/23/2020   3:47 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add floortrader to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
KNICK ---Just checked my collection ,no such stamp exist in mine ,also have the same blank space .
Edited by floortrader - 10/23/2020 3:56 pm
Page: of 6 Previous TopicReplies: 77 / Views: 3,943Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.2 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05