Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Recent Experiences - The Good And The Bad

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 77 / Views: 3,822Next Topic
Page: of 6
Valued Member
United States
89 Posts
Posted 10/23/2020   4:05 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add knick1959 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
KNICK ---Just checked my collection ,no such stamp exist in mine ,also have the same blank space .

Thanks for checking. Funny, a part 2 just appeared on eBay ... interesting but I'm going to pass (which is why I mentioned it). They picture this page, fairly full, same empty space.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
841 Posts
Posted 10/23/2020   10:27 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DrewM to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
All collectors find common stamps fairly easily, uncommon stamps not so easily. So each album you buy will be the common stamps far more than the uncommon. The result is that if you buy one Scott International Vol 1, you may find a lot of stamps you need, but with each subsequent Vol 1, you're going to find mostly the same stamps over and over again, no matter how many albums you buy. With the rare exception of an unusually well-filled album, of course, but those are few and far between. You can't build a collection very well by buying one Vol 1 after another. You have to find other sources such as individual country albums.

As for "over-watered" mounts, I've run into similar problems. I recently bought a somewhat hard-to-find Malawi album (a country I collect, for some reason). Based on the photos, it had a lot of stamps I needed. When I went to remove the stamps, however, nearly all of them were licked at the very top above the hinge by a slovenly-hinge licker (Now there's a stamp collecting insult!). This collector couldn't manage to lick only the mount, but also licked the top edge of each stamp. Those stamps were glued to the page and ruined. I do not plan to buy from this seller again.

Edited by DrewM - 10/23/2020 10:29 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1681 Posts
Posted 10/24/2020   12:20 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add shermae to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It's interesting how countries like Malawi pretty much get ignored, which ends up making their stamps pretty scarce. The question always is- will the country ever become popular? True of many post-independence African countries, even if they have conservative new issues programs.
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
5176 Posts
Posted 10/24/2020   03:04 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Scott's space for an Algerian stamp that doesn't exist is a little reminiscent of those deliberate errors that publishers of reference books include to show up plagiarism. Just incompetence in this case, I suppose.
Valued Member
United States
89 Posts
Posted 10/24/2020   1:35 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add knick1959 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
This collector couldn't manage to lick only the mount, but also licked the top edge of each stamp. Those stamps were glued to the page and ruined.

Terrible. Hopefully you netted enough undamaged stamps that it wasn't a total lost.

I've been thinking a bit about my own situation. I'm done with that album now. Well, I have one 1985 airmail page that wasn't supposed to be in that volume and I JUST received my V4 ... so one more page. In the process I completely destroyed one stamp and severely damaged 2 others. The rest had varying degrees of marks on the gum but were still stamps, although I will replace them.

I destroyed the one almost out of anger. I mean, it was stuck on good. Most others I tried to be more careful but still settled on wiggling and lifting with tongs. Maybe I should have thought about it a little more ... but again, low cost stamps that I can easily replace.

I had an initial post-damage thought: Stamp lift fluid. I quickly realized that this is meant to disolve the gum that sticks the stamp to paper. So, it might keep the stamp looking mint, but the gum would likely be gone. It would not be good.

In another thread I was reminded of watermark fluid. Hmmm. Might this have been enough to penetrate the stuck part and, for minor sticking, reduced the damage? I can't see if eliminating it completely. Of course, it may not do anything since it is anti-water and shouldn't dissolve any of the gum. Right?

Anyone aware of a possible solution (pun?) or helper in this situation. You don't care about the mount, or the page, you just want the stamp freed from it's situation.
Edited by knick1959 - 10/24/2020 1:37 pm
Valued Member
United States
89 Posts
Posted 10/24/2020   1:56 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add knick1959 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
More Mystic Album Observations

On almost the day after my first order of Mystic Albums (the first 2 volumes) arrived, my mailbox started getting spammed with their advertising. On each successive order, more mail. I've even received a couple of phone calls and email; I did not answer the calls. I have one more volume to order but that can wait. But I'm going to have to ask them to stop. I know where they are and will find them when I need them!

With my first order I included a small package of blank pages. At the time I didn't realize these would come in thinner-paper form, different that the hingeless pages that are thick and sturdy. My bad; but I was going to complain that they should offer the thicker blanks. It turns out they do. Now ...

Mystic albums have stamps on the face of the page, and the opposite "back" of the previous page has information about the stamps on the opposing face. Pretty nice. Except when you insert a blank page the system breaks! Minor, but I was thinking about potential solutions:
  • Using a copier/scanner to replicate the documentation on one side of the blank. That only really solves half the problem.

• Folding over the blank page so that it is 2 halves. Holds more if it works and doesn't obscure the informational panel

• Cut the page in half vertically, again to expose the information panel while providing (2) 1/2 pages. (Could probably have the office store create these halves, too, if I could find look-alike paper)
Has anyone addressed this for themselves in a different manner? Of the albums I have recently picked from, one has stamps mounted everywhere, including in the blank part of the information page. Previous owner also added notes every which way all over these pages. This one didn't matter, as I know I wasn't looking to reuse the album parts (although I have a use for the binder).

In this source album the owner included in these margins and any free spaces he could find duplicates, blocks, pairs and early booklet panes. Some of this I am interested in adding to my own album, the other half not. But it's things like booklet panes that I want to mount on blank/half/folder blank pages.

Creative ideas?

I thought I had something else related to these albums but it currently escapes me.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2864 Posts
Posted 10/24/2020   6:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add angore to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I encountered the same problem when I was adding additional pages to my Mystic album.. If I was just doing a replacement, I just scanned the replaced backside on the backside of the new page.

If I was adding a page I would scan the backside of a replaced page, do an OCR to extract the text, then create new backsides. I would also take the image and reuse that. Sometimes I even replaced the page before the inserted to get that backside to be accurate. I was usually stretching out issue but sometimes I regrouped things.

Examples

Al
Edited by angore - 10/24/2020 6:15 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
5176 Posts
Posted 10/24/2020   6:34 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I've tried mounting used copies of stamps on the left-hand page (i.e. the back of the previous page) - only works if you're using thick leaves and you don't need to insert anything between. With cheap stuff like Steiner, you could just have the left-hand side printed and placed in a page protector.

With things like booklets, FDCs etc, I now resist any temptation to interpolate them in printed albums and stick them in a separate section at the back.

To return to an idée fixe of mine, the approach that can best be adapted to individual needs is the blank leaf, not the printed page.
Valued Member
United States
197 Posts
Posted 10/24/2020   9:16 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add dlambert1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Just a brief contribution to the "Bad". About five years ago, I bought a dozen full sheets of USA commemoratives that were in plastic sleeves and looked like they were in full page black mounts. I discovered at home the black "mounts" were black construction paper. Needless to say the stamp sheets are firmly attached. I'm still thinking of ways to separate the two without destroying the adhesive.

Donald
Valued Member
United States
89 Posts
Posted 10/24/2020   10:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add knick1959 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
If I was just doing a replacement, I just scanned the replaced backside on the backside of the new page.

Seeing one of your "left sides" centered I wondered if you just did that yourself or if some original pages are like that. I only looked at a couple, but it seems that the majority are a skinny half-page column on the far left, but I did see at least one of mine that took up both sides. I'll have to look closer, but my half sheet idea would work at least in some cases (most?).

Very nice by the way! Did you do your own layout from scratch or start with something?
Edited by knick1959 - 10/24/2020 10:22 pm
Valued Member
United States
456 Posts
Posted 10/25/2020   6:33 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mootermutt987 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Knick- watermark fluid (or lighter fluid) will not help unstick stuck stamps on an album page. I've seen plenty of collections where the collector was a bit overzealous with licking the hinge (and licking some gum on the stamp at the same time) and found the mint stamps stuck to the page. Frankly, there's almost nothing you can do. I have had a little success with using a small paintbrush and my own saliva and 'painting' the front of the stamps where it is stuck on the reverse. Just a TINY amount of saliva, and paint it on for 10-30 seconds - hopefully enough moisture permeates through the paper and softens up the gum and the stamp lifts free from the paper. Set the stamp aside for a while to let everything dry out completely. The gum WILL be disturbed. You will likely thin a bunch of stamps at first.

Another way is to use that same paintbrush and slip it in underneath the stamp and lightly (LIGHTLY!!!) pry up the stamp, a little at a time, and only after the moisture in the brush has softened the gum. This takes quite a while and also disturbs the gum. Too much prying, and you've thinned the stamp. Too much moisture and you will moisten more gum under the stamp than you want. If you are lucky enough to get the stamp off undamaged, set it aside to completely dry out, as with the previous method.

I have been doing this for over 30 years - I still usually do more damage than good. Doing it right is about 25% technique and 75% luck. I would rather have a disturbed gum stamp than a thinned stamp. If you are looking for a 'lightly hinged' stamp after this process, you won't get it. This is my method of last resort.

There have been many instances when I didn't care about the page the stamp was mounted on, and I have torn out the page and soaked the stamp off. No gum, but very little chance of thinning the stamp.

Stamp Lift works in place of saliva, and with similar results. Saliva is cheaper.

Add: I checked my Algeria and I am also missing the same stamp, but have the two others of the set.
Edited by mootermutt987 - 10/25/2020 6:35 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
5176 Posts
Posted 10/25/2020   7:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
mooter: the Algeria stamp doesn't exist, so no-one has it.
Valued Member
United States
456 Posts
Posted 10/25/2020   7:16 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mootermutt987 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Geoff - D'OH!!!

I shoulda looked in a catalog.
Valued Member
United States
89 Posts
Posted 10/25/2020   7:34 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add knick1959 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
mooter: the Algeria stamp doesn't exist, so no-one has it.

Right. In a thread about album pages (offered on a CD) I checked out the Algeria pages there. These appear to be scans of Scott Specialty country pages. But I did note the corresponding page in this album doesn't have a space for the stamp. See the second image in this post, please:

http://goscf.com/t/74539&whichpage=2#665895
Edited by knick1959 - 10/25/2020 7:35 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2446 Posts
Posted 10/25/2020   10:51 pm  Show Profile Check eyeonwall's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add eyeonwall to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
"I've seen plenty of collections where the collector was a bit overzealous with licking the hinge (and licking some gum on the stamp at the same time) and found the mint stamps stuck to the page"

It also happens if they drool on the hinge before applying it to the stamp and some of the saliva oozes out the sides onto the gum that then sticks to the page.
Page: of 6 Previous TopicReplies: 77 / Views: 3,822Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.23 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05