Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Early Canadian Parcel Post Insurance Rate Question

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 2 / Views: 212Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community

United States
700 Posts
Posted 03/07/2021   8:55 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Parcelpostguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I am trying to determine the period of validity for an early Canadian Parcel Post Rate Calculator I have. While shown in the images, what makes this especially unusual is how it was produced. The outer wrapping is a heavy card-stock with a heavy coating of ink. The interior slide is enameled on tin. If one reads the advertising, it is no surprise as the company was in business to enamel tin. And, what better way to demonstrate your company's ware than giving away a quite useful sample?

Insurance began 1-1-1921 with a two tier system, $25/$50; 5/10 cents and as of 1-1-1923 when international insured parcel post began between the Canada and the USA, the Canadian insurance was four tiers, $10/$25/$50/$100; 3/6/12/30 cents.

When did either the two tiers drop in cost or when did the two tiers expand to more than two tiers on or before 1-1-1923?

That information gives me the end date of the "correct period of use" for this calculator.

Send note to Staff
Edited by Parcelpostguy - 03/07/2021 11:57 pm

Valued Member
Canada
160 Posts
Posted 03/07/2021   10:59 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add j2186 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The four tier insurance (3/6/12/30 for up to 5/25/50/100) came into effect 1 October 1921 (when the registration of parcel post was discontinued.)

Source: Monthly supplements to the postal guides, September 1921.

Jan

Added: The postal guides seem to imply that this was the introduction of insurance on parcel post. The insurance was intended to replace registration.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by j2186 - 03/07/2021 11:06 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
700 Posts
Posted 03/07/2021   11:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Parcelpostguy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for that date.

Yes, once insurance became available registration was disallowed. While that held true for domestic parcel post matter. It was not until 1-1-23 that Canada stopped accepting registration for international parcel post. It was that date that the USA and Canada each prohibited acceptance of registered parcel post matter from the other country and allow such parcel post matter to be insured to the other country. As far as I am aware they were the two first such countries with such a mutual agreement. I cannot speak to Canada and other UPU countries other than Canada except Canada no longer accepted registered parcel post from foreign points of mailing for registered handling within Canada. tries.It was later that insured service slow began the spread among UPU countries.

Now to the point of my post, I can now say the service period this calculator was accurate was from 1-1-1921 through 9-30-1921. That is a rather nice short window.

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
  Previous TopicReplies: 2 / Views: 212Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.12 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05