Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Poland Stamps Overprinted P.p.c. Identification Help

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 430Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
46 Posts
Posted 03/14/2021   10:34 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add mickb007 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi all,
I recently purchased a Levant specialized collection and came across Polish stamps overprinted P.P.C..
According to my Scott they were used for Consular mail in Constantinople but I having a hard time finding anything else on the web about them.
I am seeing 2 distinct types of overprint and am hoping someone might be able to tell me if they are genuine overprints or not.
Thanks for your help.
Mick

Send note to Staff
Edited by mickb007 - 03/14/2021 10:36 pm

Pillar Of The Community
France
1652 Posts
Posted 03/15/2021   02:36 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add vayolene to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The third one was cancelled in Rawicz,Poland. I assume the overprint is not genuine.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by vayolene - 03/15/2021 02:37 am
Pillar Of The Community
United States
5239 Posts
Posted 03/15/2021   3:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add floortrader to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
MICK B. ----The only reference I know for these is Billig's VOLUME 1R....it is not in the regular , volume 1 or first issue it is in the second printing ,they call it " 1R " for Polish Offices in Turkey .
Pillar Of The Community
France, Metropolitan
3090 Posts
Posted 03/15/2021   4:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add perf12 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Eastern Auction Ltd. lot 47

Cherrystone auctions
Lot #1072
POLAND Polish Offices in Turkish Empire
1920 15f unaddressed stationery card, additionally franked with handstamped "P.P.C." 5f, 10f, 15f, 20f and 25f, all tied 6.X.1920 Poczta Polska Konstantynopol pmks, v.f.
(Levant & PPC overprint)The Polish Consulate at the High Ottoman Port
based on the instructions received from Warsaw, he created
on June 1, 1919 in the legation building of the so-called
"Polish Delegation" a postal agency. The agency was working
until August 1921
• One clerk was responsible for postal activities
postal - Stanislaw Czarkowski (3% commission from
sales),
• The post office was open every day except
Sundays and holidays from 9am to 12pm and 2pm to 4pm. It was in use
only one mailbox located in the premises
Ordinary mail and registered letters were accepted, franking
them from the first day of opening the mail only with
Polish stamps, values
in pfennigs . The stamps were sold
for Turkish currency.
• Shipments were placed in special bags,
then, after being sealed, they were sent back by
courier, usually once a month, to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs
in Warsaw, addressing flags
"Warsaw Post Office 1".
• About 60 parcels have survived to date
postage for the entire period of 19 months. Together with the postage stamps Agency
The post office in Constantinople received as
attachments to the letter of April 19, 1919.
(courier delivery on 04/24/1919) seals
and postage stamps, made to order
Ministries of P. and T. in Warsaw.
• Several stamps were introduced over time
auxiliary, which include the stamp
PPC.

Poczta Polska w Konstantynopolu - PHILA-CLUB.COM
Friday Aug 17, 2018 10:00 Europe/Berlin
Last date for bids:
Polen - Post in der Levante: "1920: Complete set of 13 stamps with hand overprints "P.P.C." (Postes
"1920: Complete set of 13 stamps with hand overprints "P.P.C." (Postes Polonaise Constantinopole), the 2,50 M with double overprint. All stamps on nice cut-outs with blue cancellations "Poczta Polska Konstantynopol" in very good condition. The double overprint on the 2,5 M is the ONLY KNOWN COPY. Signed W. Rachmanow, certificate Z. Korszen. Very Rare."

close-ups on the overprints....

The first overprint above is from the OP's second stamp..
Edited by perf12 - 03/15/2021 7:27 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1565 Posts
Posted 03/15/2021   4:56 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Climber Steve to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
(posted before I saw the additional information provided by perf12)

These stamps are listed and priced in the second volume of the Fischer Catalog for stamps of Poland, in the short chapter for "Konstantynopol" (Levant). The letters in the Fischer illustration are thin, but the first and third stamp letters of Mick's post are thicker. Some of the overprint letters in perf12's post are thicker. I don't currently have a useable English-Polish dictionary. So I'm not able to determine if the Fischer descriptions of the Levant issues refer to forged occurrences, or not. As an aside, this set is footnoted in Scott, not illustrated, as referenced by Mick.

For more information, my suggestion is to contact Polonus (www.polonus.org ), which is the US national society for collectors of Poland (I'm a member). You also could contact Dan Lubelski at Lubelski Stamps ( www.lubelskistamps.com ).
Edited by Climber Steve - 03/15/2021 4:58 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
649 Posts
Posted 03/15/2021   6:25 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add EMaxim to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Great responses! Where else could we get so much informed help so quickly?
Valued Member
United States
46 Posts
Posted 03/15/2021   7:16 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mickb007 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you all for the great information and references!!
So the first and third scans I posted are a totally different typeface so I will guess forgeries.
The second on might be genuine... Time for more research.
Cheers!
Mick
Pillar Of The Community
United States
578 Posts
Posted 03/16/2021   9:47 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add billsey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
BTW Steve, you can often get reasonable translations using Google Translate as an app on your phone. You point the camera at the page from within the app and it figures out the language and displays it in the language you use. Not quite as nice as a professional translation, but very helpful.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1565 Posts
Posted 03/17/2021   6:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Climber Steve to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Billsey: thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately, that's not workable with my iPhone-3 that has no connection to the internet other than a rare interface through my iMac desktop.

It is a tip that I will consider later this year when I upgrade to a new phone (have to do that as A.T. & T. will no longer support 3G phones beginning in early 2022).

It will be far more useful as I will need to translate some pages in Portuguese as part of the construction process, for my first ever exhibit, to begin in late summer, 2021.
Edited by Climber Steve - 03/17/2021 6:12 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
5239 Posts
Posted 03/23/2021   12:04 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add floortrader to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The Billig's volume 1 Revised , states these stamps are a private issue ,that may be the reason those overprinted stamps are not as well researched in the English world .Thanks for that explanation and scans I put notes into my Billig's volume 1R .
  Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 430Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.19 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05