Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Z Grill US Stamp Identify Please

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 536Next Topic  

India
0 Posts
Posted 04/15/2021   06:54 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add nandu1001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
hi all. I am a new member from india,a collector of stamps for the last 35 years or more.I have recently received some stamps of US.can any one help me to identify the same is z grill or not please

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
6783 Posts
Posted 04/15/2021   07:46 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I assume the cover has no connection to the single stamps. You need much better scans, front and back, to be able to tell anything. I cannot even see a grill let alone what type it is. You can use the search tool within this forum to find hundreds of good topics on how to best scan and show grilled stamps.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
3804 Posts
Posted 04/15/2021   09:27 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I do not see any grills.

The 10 rate to California ended June 30, 1863, so this cover is much too early to have an grilled stamp. It has Scott 63 and three 65's on it. Do not remove the stamps from the cover. It is far more valuable to leave it alone.

The loose stamps all appear to lack grills, thus are Scott 65's also. A grill will appear to be a small waffle-like pattern pressed into the stamp, best viewed from the back side. Thus rogdcam's advice to show us the reverse sides of these singles.

Statistically if you find a grill, it will likely be an E-grill or F-grill, rather than a Z-grill or other rarer type. One should always assume they have the most common type.
Edited by John Becker - 04/15/2021 09:32 am
Pillar Of The Community
United States
727 Posts
Posted 04/15/2021   4:53 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Parcelpostguy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
One should always assume they have the most common type.

Oh come on John Becker, someone wins a lottery everyday, even the phillatelic lottery. Remember this very recent SCF thread: http://goscf.com/f/15 ?

Some people play for the biggest mega-millions prizes and other the lowly low value scratch-offs. Clearly nandu1001 goes for the big prizes. Sending in an 85A on-cover for a certificate is a bit pricey, not the certificate fee, as those are usually set at the minimum for unlisted or unpriced in the catalog items, it's the postal insurance on a $5,000,000.00 unique item which can be steep especially if one pays only one way.

What to do, what to do...

The SCF is free.

Pillar Of The Community
3804 Posts
Posted 04/15/2021   5:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Parcelpostguy, show us his Z grill then.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
727 Posts
Posted 04/15/2021   5:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Parcelpostguy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I did not say he WON the lottery, I am saying he played the lottery.

Like with all lottery tickets, you have a potential winner until you don't.

Some folks don't catch the one number they want or even any numbers at all they wanted. He did not catch the grill he wanted nor any grill at all. But unlike a losing lottery ticket his cover is still nice and useful.
Valued Member
United States
241 Posts
Posted 04/15/2021   6:45 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GMC89 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Concise advice Mr Becker. I did see a "Z" grill
I think it was the Miller collection at the postal museum.
Cheers
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
559 Posts
Posted 04/15/2021   7:16 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rismoney to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Pillar Of The Community
United States
727 Posts
Posted 04/15/2021   8:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Parcelpostguy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The Miller Collection is on loan to the Smithsonian from the NY Public Library, the owner of the Miller Collection.

Too bad the catalogs of Superior Stamp and Coin of Beverly Hills are not on line. They sold the 85A for Jerry Buss back in 1986. Then we could see how the stamp weather the years.

By the way, the non-Miller 85A is the most expensive US EFO (Error, Freak or Oddity) as the Z-grill is doubled. In the running for the most expensive EFO of any country as well. I do not know if the Miller 85A has a double grill as I have not handled that stamp nor viewed it at the Smithsonian. It arrived after my last visit.
Edited by Parcelpostguy - 04/15/2021 8:32 pm
  Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 536Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.16 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05