Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

British Indian Ocean Territory (Biot) Stamps Blocked From Use

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 504Next Topic  
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
482 Posts
Posted 08/25/2021   10:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add jleb1979 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
A short BBC article today notes that the UPU has blocked recognition of BIOT stamps for postage from the Chagos Islands in favor of stamps of Mauritius. Part of ongoing efforts by Mauritius to reclaim the territory from the UK. The largest island is Diego Garcia, used as an air base by the US and UK.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-58321580
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3152 Posts
Posted 08/26/2021   07:07 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add angore to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I saw that yesterday. If the population is 3000, then there are not many postally used stamps from the islands,
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Al
Edited by angore - 08/27/2021 06:07 am
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
482 Posts
Posted 08/26/2021   4:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jleb1979 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I believe you are right, Angore.

Further, a good number of the 3,000 population are US service personnel who use US stamps to send their cards and letters back home from Diego Garcia. So bona fide non-philatelic use of BIOT from Diego Garcia or any other of the Chagos Islands must be pretty unusual.

Just curious to see, I did a quick and not-at-all extensive search of eBay and see two non-FDC uses right now that might really be non-philatelic. Both are going to a Harry Smuckler in Philadelphia PA. Here's an image of one such cover, followed by the link to the listing (Note: not my listing - seller is in Argentina of all places for such a cover to wind up.)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/255107202812
Valued Member
United Kingdom
12 Posts
Posted 08/27/2021   10:08 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add flip138 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Smuckler is/was a postmark collector, so they will be philatelic items. I have a bunch of his covers sent from Scottish islands in the 1960's.

Phil
Valued Member
United States
194 Posts
Posted 08/28/2021   08:57 am  Show Profile Check stampCat7's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add stampCat7 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

here is a commercial use with the rare Diego Garcia Chagos postmark from 1968. this was purchased on eBay a few years ago
Edited by stampCat7 - 08/28/2021 12:15 pm
  Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 504Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.12 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05