Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Trading Stamps Resources

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 49 / Views: 1,150Next Topic
Page: of 4
Pillar Of The Community
United States
529 Posts
Posted 09/25/2021   4:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add jconey to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Does anyone here have a good resource for information about trading stamps, such as S&H Green Stamps, Plaid, Gold Bond, Tribles Blue Stamps, etc. Either a website or a catalog of sorts?
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
7657 Posts
Posted 09/25/2021   4:39 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I googled S&H stamps and at the end of the Wikipedia article it gives some references as articles etc. Maybe try that?

Peter
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
529 Posts
Posted 09/25/2021   4:53 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jconey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks, I did take a look at those Wiki references but they give a little good info about the use and the program, not so much on collectable information about them and other trading stamps. Even a well illustrated history of them might be good but I haven't found one yet.
Valued Member
United States
21 Posts
Posted 09/25/2021   5:31 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Zman to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Try Facebook
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
33071 Posts
Posted 09/25/2021   5:34 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

SCF here, is generally the answer......
http://goscf.com/t/46436#415553 br /
Valued Member
United States
486 Posts
Posted 09/26/2021   09:35 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Calstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

jconey...

Ironically went on search re this very topic about one month ago.

IMO the definitive resource is Arthur J Mongan's "Deposit, Rebate, Savings & Trading Stamps". Self-published in 1999. Approx 500 pages. Black & white. 8.5 x 11-inch format.

Mongan developed a propriety numbering system or scheme. Which I do not believe correlates to/with any other catalogue/resource.

Research suggests Mongan produced c 50 copies. None of which have emerged on the resale market in the last decade or so.

Have not been able to confirm rumor of a second/revised edition.

Mongan is/was a resident of Sliver Spring MD. Believe a son may reside in the area. However, received no response to my recent query.

Good news is the APRL owns a circulating copy.

Hope this helps.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
529 Posts
Posted 09/26/2021   09:37 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jconey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Rod222 & Calstmp I am now on the look out for works by Art Mongan who did produce a very limited run catalog apparently less than 50 copies. Maybe I can find a PDF or something.
Edited by jconey - 09/26/2021 09:38 am
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7657 Posts
Posted 09/26/2021   9:25 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Jconey, Sometimes you can be lucky: http://goscf.com/t/78656

Peter
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7657 Posts
Posted 09/26/2021   9:54 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
and another link. Who knew that Arthu Mongan was a member here ? http://goscf.com/t/21400

Peter
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
4482 Posts
Posted 09/26/2021   10:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add redwoodrandy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
AbeBooks has a copy of the Arthur Mongan catalog for sale priced at $100.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
529 Posts
Posted 09/27/2021   08:25 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jconey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I found Maerkat on another board talking about Arthur and contacted him through his eBay account. From what I found out from Maerkat, Arthur passed away about a year ago. It was announced in the American Philatelist but I had not noticed or connected the dots.

Although it didn't show up in the library search, I did find that the APRL has all three volumes. I made arrangements to borrow them.

I do a review of them with some photos and post it here.
Edited by jconey - 09/27/2021 08:31 am
Pillar Of The Community
United States
529 Posts
Posted 10/02/2021   11:14 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jconey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I've received the package from APRL with the loan of the three volumes of "Deposit, Rebate, Savings & Trading Stamps" by Art Mongan (ARA, SRS, CS&CSS, APS)

The volumes are 8-1/2" x 11" comb bound with a hard cardboard cover.

I was disappointed to find that a section of the first volume (Chapter 3: History, References and Bibliography) is not there. Somewhere along the line this has been torn out or otherwise removed. It jumps from chapter 2 to chapter 4.

If any of you have a copy with Chapter 3, can you photograph or scan those pages and send it to me? I'd be happy to print, punch and put that section back in before returning it to APRL, with a note.

Art starts with a statement that the catalog should have been started long before his efforts as the information trail for many stamps had grown cold. The catalogs contain a good amount of information and more companies/stamps than I expected to see.

Up front is an explanation of the nomenclature used and general information such as perforation types, conventions used, etc.

Although I have some not listed it seems to be very well researched. Particularly for the state of internet resources in the 90's. This took some good old fashioned research.

The graphics are typical for self published works of the late 90's and are of that 1990's black and white Xerox quality. Not all are illustrated. Even so, I was impressed with the number of illustrations he did manage to collect. I'm left wondering if Art actually gathered the illustrations from his private collection.

The organization is alphabetical by company, which I'd have to agree is the best way to organize them. This is also grouped by several listings for 'US inscribed by plan name', 'bank deposit and savings stamps' and by 'foreign stamps arranged by company'.

Considering the time and effort it took to amass this much information I'd definitely give this work a thumbs up. I wish I had known him ten years ago, this has my interest.

As good as this catalog set is, there is some information that I was hoping to see but isn't there. This is by NO means a knock at Art who did a great job. However it does not cover things like an explanation of the overprints and there are no dates or date ranges for the stamps or descriptions of the companies that issued them. Of course there are no relative values assigned or discussion of printing particulars, condition and there are some notations that don't seem to be explained unless it was covered in the missing chapter.

I have better illustrations from my own collection of over 344 companies (1,018 stamps, not counting what's pasted in books) and I have some additional information on the companies and other details. I'm considering an addendum to this work or perhaps a new catalog.

I looked for the "publishing" and "released by" companies and find no record of them. I suspect they were Art's own. There is an email address listed on the title page but I presume this belonged to the late Art Mongan, it didn't bounce but as I have not yet received a response.

Learn More...
9772 Posts
Posted 10/02/2021   11:32 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
...I have better illustrations from my own collection of over 344 companies (1,018 stamps, not counting what's pasted in books) and I have some additional information on the companies and other details. I'm considering an addendum to this work or perhaps a new catalog.

Are you considering a commercial effort or are you looking to contribute to the hobby and promote this specialty?

If the latter, I am willing to assist by building you an online SQL catalog database and publish it for you. You would be in control of the project and own the data and effort you put into it; I would simply be the facilitator. I can get everything in place and ready for population within a week.
If interested, let me know.
Don
Pillar Of The Community
United States
529 Posts
Posted 10/02/2021   11:43 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jconey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Don,

I'm open to either. I have no illusions as to the "market size" for something like this so if commercial, it would really just be to recoup the production costs (very little if anything, if just done on line) but I have to give it some thought. It sounds easy but in reality, it's a large undertaking. I am leaning towards making the effort though. I will keep your offer in mind and let you know after I've done a little groundwork, and what or when I set a plan to in motion.
Valued Member
United States
486 Posts
Posted 10/02/2021   2:52 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Calstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

jconey.

If your closing question is "Did Art Mongan self-publish the trading stamp catalogue?", am fairly certain the answer is "yes". Based on recent research re the matter. "Publish" defined as manual layout followed by photocopying. With a print run supposedly of 50.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
529 Posts
Posted 10/02/2021   5:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jconey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
That is my suspicion too CalStamp, everything points that way.

James Drummond also has a copy which he got directly from Art, and it is also missing Chapter 3 leading us to surmise the missing chapter had not yet been completed.

I have a few things to clear off my desk which will take a couple months, after that I'll see where I am and put a plan together. A couple people here have already offered some help and advice. This is a great forum, a great base of knowledge and help from the people here.
Page: of 4 Previous TopicReplies: 49 / Views: 1,150Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.23 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05