Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Clueless Idiots Running HipStamp

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 57 / Views: 2,760Next Topic
Page: of 4
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
5310 Posts
Posted 10/17/2021   8:35 pm  Show Profile Check revenuecollector's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add revenuecollector to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
The one promising feature at Hipstamp (in fact the primary reason ANY larger sellers from eBay sell on Hipstamp at all), the eBay sync feature, has been broken for almost a month.

No formal communication from Hipstamp management at all, either on their forum, or worse yet, directly to Hipstamp sellers. No response to support tickets raised on the issue. Only a small banner in the Member section with vague references to it being an external eBay problem.

Sheer speculation on my part: Whether it is technical incompetence on Hipstamp's part, something changing at eBay's end, or this being a leverage play by eBay for higher fees from Hipstamp, I think it is exacerbated by the monumental long-overdue task of compliance with Marketplace Facilitator legislation. The scale of the task has them questioning their existence. They *SHOULD* by law be collecting sales tax on behalf of their sellers as eBay and Amazon do, but are not. I don't think they know how to implement it or don't want to undertake the administrative burden, so are simply stalling.

I think Hipstamp is circling the bowl...
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
583 Posts
Posted 10/17/2021   8:46 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rismoney to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have been having all sorts of weirdness as a buyer there with communications. I have sent several messages to sellers that have been ignored. One where I accidentally bid on the wrong item and wanted to submit an offer on a alternate item of theirs for sale. A few weeks later, after no response, they accept my offer. Two other sellers haven't responded to inquiries that I know are active on the platform. I have had cases where smtp delivery of messages from them were not received, but I had messages on the site. Not sure its a technical glitch, but technically there has definitely been some weirdness.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Learn More...
9921 Posts
Posted 10/17/2021   9:40 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
eBay is a competitor, partner, and to a degree a supplier, for HipStamp all at the same time; I recognize this relationship because I dealt with the same type in number of cases throughout my tech career. It is dangerous ground to walk upon and in the long run will bite you in the butt 9 times out of 10. It is one of things that I would change in my career if I could do it all over again. Forming these kinds of relationships always appears advantageous in the short run but the reality is that you are screwing your investors, employees, and customers. It is one the primary reasons that today I always recommend 'rolling our own' and avoid hooking your wagon to others who are outside your influence.
Don
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
7135 Posts
Posted 10/18/2021   12:12 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I can't get the idiots to stop spamming me with endless seller emails that they obviously charge for my info. Hundreds of them. I complain to HS and they apologize and tell me it will not happen again and I end up getting even more. They blow smoke up my you now where and I have grown to loathe them.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
809 Posts
Posted 10/18/2021   03:48 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mootermutt987 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have never signed up at HipStamps, yet I also receive endless solicitous e-mails. I suspect someone that I bought from on eBay 'leaked' my e-mail info to HipStamps, but I am not sure. Because I was never a customer of their site, I don't even ask to be removed from their mailing lists - I have exactly ZERO pull with them. FWIW, I will NEVER respond to any of the e-mails no matter how good a deal it may sound like.
Edited by mootermutt987 - 10/18/2021 03:49 am
Valued Member
United States
86 Posts
Posted 10/18/2021   06:49 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Gizzmo4222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Ebays IT people are even more idiotic !! I have not been able to send invoices for combined shipping since March !! They are working on the issue is their standard reply. I can send a single invoice only but not for multiple items. I am wondering what their IT people are making as they don't even deserve a job at eBay. They are terrible. Do you think that Amazon would allow a glitch to go on for so long ? Never !! I am tired of calling them monthly for an update
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1214 Posts
Posted 10/18/2021   10:59 am  Show Profile Check rlsny's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add rlsny to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I get the distinct impression that hip is run by a handful of college students. They are too busy hanging with friends to answer emails or provide any service that is more than a boilerplate email.

It's a decent environment and sellers and buyers I've run into seem more communicative and friendly than at eBay. But this seems like a low budget place in general. I do hope they fix the sync as I had been doing decent business there up until this problem started and I can't see staying there without it.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7724 Posts
Posted 10/18/2021   11:56 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with Risny. We should all be happy with an alternative to eBay and do our best to keep them independent. And calling them "idiots" says more about ourselves then it does about them. Lets please keep this a fair community

Peter
Pillar Of The Community
572 Posts
Posted 10/18/2021   12:20 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stamps101 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Gizzmo, the combined invoice issue has been a major headache and for me, only began when I was moved to Managed Payments. Now, I'm not big on conspiratory thoughts but I do find it funny that this issue started for me right when they moved to adding 30c charge per transaction. So if a buyer buys 4 items but invoicing cannot be combined, that's $1.20 in fees instead of $.30. I haven't looked carefully yet this year at my fees but that would be curious if it is in fact doing thatů
Pillar Of The Community
United States
564 Posts
Posted 10/18/2021   12:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jconey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Right. let's use the correct terms.

Idiot: a person of low intelligence.
Stupid: in the classic definition - uneducated. Example this was actually used in a WWI officers manual to describe the average enlisted men. Not as an insult but as a description to understand their level of ability.
Ignorant: lacking knowledge or awareness in general; uneducated or unsophisticated.
uncaring: not feeling interest in or attaching importance to something.

I don't think they are really idiots or stupid. Ignorant possibly, uncaring apparently. Like many successful companies, they get to a point and stop developing or reinvesting in the business (sitting on their laurels). Lotus and Novell are great IT examples of this... when they did make a move it was too-little too-late. Is this the case with Hip?

Although these may describe them in general, I think there may be other factors included... for example eBay likes to change interfaces and add unnecessary complexity without notice and make it hard to keep up. Coupled with lack of reinvestment (willingness or ability) is among the many reasons TurboLister and several other listing applications eventually died.

If you use their bulk uploader, you know what I mean.

As for not answering or properly handling messages, See uncaring above.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
564 Posts
Posted 10/18/2021   1:02 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jconey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Just for fun I took a look at their staff..

4 at C/VP level
15 at the director/Mgr level
4 in lead positions
2 in HR
4 Account managers (billing)
7 in Marketing (4 dedicated to email)

8 engineers/developers
2 in customer support

Keeping mind that these people are not dedicated just to stamps, this company has three divisions that these same people support:Postcards, Comics and Stamps.

Out of 46 employees 9 are worker bees, of those two are customer support. Seems a little top heavy to me.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
583 Posts
Posted 10/18/2021   1:18 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rismoney to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
engineering/developers = real worker bees. not sure how you computed 9.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
564 Posts
Posted 10/18/2021   1:37 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jconey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, 10. Sorry one of the 8 is an ops spec (probably a pc/lan/web technician), not an engineer. Meant to break that out but got lost in translation.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
Canada
1026 Posts
Posted 10/18/2021   2:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gmot to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I sell quite a bit on there. I've consistently had good responsiveness and resolution from Hip. Note I don't use the eBay sync.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
5310 Posts
Posted 10/18/2021   2:17 pm  Show Profile Check revenuecollector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add revenuecollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
And calling them "idiots" says more about ourselves then it does about them.

Excuse you? You know nothing about my particular situation or the extent to which I've attempted to reach live human beings at Hipstamp. I'm sorry that candid assessment, criticism, or blunt language offends your delicate sensitivities, and woe betide anyone who has anything but fluffy snuggly sentiments to impart, but turning my criticism around as an insult to me makes you guilty of the very behavior you decry. Physician, heal thyself.

St. Margaret's Home for the Perpetually Offended is 4 blocks down the street on the left.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
7135 Posts
Posted 10/18/2021   3:04 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Page: of 4 Previous TopicReplies: 57 / Views: 2,760Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.73 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05