Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

New Platform For Scott Catalogue Digital Version. Mixed Feelings

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 89 / Views: 4,840Next Topic
Page: of 6
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
5448 Posts
Posted 03/22/2022   07:01 am  Show Profile Check revenuecollector's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add revenuecollector to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
So Amos Media has rolled out their new platform for the digital version of the Scott catalogues. As it is still in its infancy, while it shows long-term promise, my overall impression is *sigh*.

They tout that more images will be added to the e-version compared to print over time. Hopefully there will also be a checklist/wantlist feature, ability to annotate, etc., as the new system is supposed to be database-driven rather than just PDFs under the hood, but as of yet additional features have not been added. It's just a new skin on the same content.

The bigger problem is that for most buyers, it represents a HUGE price increase. Unlike the previous platform, where once you purchased a volume you could access it forever, the new pricing model is subscription only... and at the same prices as before. What this means is that to retain access, you have to pay the $99 per volume (or $549 for the set) EVERY year. You cannot just purchase certain volumes every N years. You HAVE to pay up every year. Adding the Classic is $125... per year. $675 per year is a huge expense to commit to every single year IMO. If you don't renew your subscription, you lose all access.

Unless Amos changes their pricing model and enters the 21st century, I predict this will fail catastrophically. It's not sustainable for collectors. Perhaps this is intended as a dealer-only product, but that's not how it's marketed. The vast majority of collectors don't purchase complete catalogue sets every year.

Now, if they made it a more reasonable cost, say $20 per month or $199 per year for complete access, I can see it being worthwhile, but under the existing pricing model, I can envision many collectors forsaking the digital version and going back to printed catalogues.

Also, they've shut off purchases of the 2022 catalogues on the old platform, so the only way you can access those perpetual versions is if you already purchased them. Also shortsighted IMO.

There also doesn't appear to be a public-facing demo that I can find. The only way to try it is to pay full price for a volume (and the only volume currently available is the 2022 Classic at $125) and you have 5 days to request a refund.

One step forward and three steps back.

https://www.amosadvantage.com/produ...tion-Digital
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
6468 Posts
Posted 03/22/2022   07:15 am  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
$549? Yvert's annual subscription price for its complete digital catalogue is 129.

https://www.yvert.com/A-219313-abon...tegrale.aspx
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by GeoffHa - 03/22/2022 07:16 am
Valued Member
United States
341 Posts
Posted 03/22/2022   07:34 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Coastwatcher to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I wish Amos well with their endeavor, but I'll never subscribe. The way my luck runs, there'll be technical issues just when I need it the most and I won't be able to access it. Just call me a technological dinosaur, but I want a paper catalog that I can actually hold in my hands. Besides which, their pricing is totally unrealistic.
Edited by Coastwatcher - 03/22/2022 07:35 am
Pillar Of The Community
United States
675 Posts
Posted 03/22/2022   08:18 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DJCMHOH to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
You get the full general Michel online for under US$200, and as noted the full Yvert library is even cheaper.

No one is going to pay US$675/year for a one year use of catalogues. Very myopic of Amos. Most buyers of hardcopy catalogues other than dealers only buy once every several years, so charging what is well over 2/3 hardcopy price for a 1 year digital is ridiculous, and I just do not see many collectors forking out that much.

I'd pay US$200/year for full Scott with Classic specialized, but no more than that.
APS #173088
Edited by DJCMHOH - 03/22/2022 08:20 am
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
8310 Posts
Posted 03/22/2022   09:06 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Agree that the pricing is much too high. If I pay $600 for hard copies I can recoup a good amount of the original price reselling when I upgrade.

On a side topic, is there a way to open and display multiple pages at once with the electronic version? That would be one upgrade from hard copy for me, to see say three or four pages at once when researching something.
Learn More...
United States
10547 Posts
Posted 03/22/2022   09:21 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I just scan my hard copies for my own use and then use the hard copies as fireplace starter. Yes, it takes about 40 man-hours to scan a full set but when I am done I have a fully searchable set of Scott catalogs. I only scan a full set every 10 years so the time invested is not significant to me. An added plus is that I can quickly take small snippet images from the PDF posting and helping folks in this community. I do not need to be connected to the internet to access my PDFs.

To be honest, I now have well over 2000 philatelic reference books and publications scanned and on my external 5TB removable drive. The entire drive is indexed and is fully searchable. I simply plug it in, type in my search word(s) and within seconds it searches across every book and publication in my library.

Another added bonus, PDFs are speech enabled. I often take a philatelic book(s) with me on long drives, plane trips, or dialysis sessions and have my computer read it to me like an e-book. Of course this feature is not very feasible for a catalog but I enjoy many other philatelic books this way.
Don
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2566 Posts
Posted 03/22/2022   09:53 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add PostmasterGS to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Separating a Worldwide database into per-volume sections is pure Scott. Take a 21st Century step forward in terms of technology, then cripple it with a 20th Century business decision.
Presenting the GermanStamps.net Collection - Germany, Colonies, & Occupied Territories, 1872-1945
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1106 Posts
Posted 03/22/2022   10:06 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add danstamps54 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
At that price point, I can see people doing what Don did and then offering them online as bootleg copies.
Experienced stamps need a home too. I'd rather have an example that is imperfect than no example.
I collect for enjoyment, not investment.
APS Member #223433
Postmark Collectors Club Member #6333
Meter Stamp Society Member #1409
Learn More...
United States
10547 Posts
Posted 03/22/2022   10:12 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
There are already several pirated versions of Scott catalogs on the 'dark web' and have been for many years. In my opinion the paranoia surrounding someone copying digital copies is inane and mostly an excuse to not invest in digital. For decades anyone could walk up to a photocopier and make pirated hardcopies if desired. Some might argue 'ease' of copying a digital version by there are always to make them less 'easy'. I think it is just 'old school' thinking and lack of vision with many publishers.
Don
Pillar Of The Community
United States
547 Posts
Posted 03/22/2022   10:16 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wtcrowe to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I do the same as Don, but I only use the Specialized. So I scan annually. One of my fears is being at a stamp show without Wifi. If you can only use the catalogue when connected to Wifi you are out of luck. I upload the catalogue to my IPad and can have it whenever I need it. I have done the same with most all of the better US related works. A PDF's search engine is great for finding information. It does not always work easily, but more times than not it is useful.
Learn More...
United States
10547 Posts
Posted 03/22/2022   10:21 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Bill,
Do you build a master PDF index so it can search all your PDFs at once?
Don
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1180 Posts
Posted 03/22/2022   10:48 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Parcelpostguy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The bigger problem is that for most buyers, it represents a HUGE price increase. Unlike the previous platform, where once you purchased a volume you could access it forever, the new pricing model is subscription only... and at the same prices as before. What this means is that to retain access, you have to pay the $99 per volume (or $549 for the set) EVERY year. You cannot just purchase certain volumes every N years. You HAVE to pay up every year. Adding the Classic is $125... per year. $675 per year is a huge expense to commit to every single year IMO. If you don't renew your subscription, you lose all access.

Unless Amos changes their pricing model and enters the 21st century
, I predict this will fail catastrophically. It's not sustainable for collectors. Perhaps this is intended as a dealer-only product, but that's not how it's marketed. The vast majority of collectors don't purchase complete catalogue sets every year

I must disagree here. Amos is following the 21st Century internet business model. Owners of information are stopping selling the information and are now "renting" the information to users such that the owners can generate recurring payments every selected time period. This generates more product revenue than just selling the basic item one time to each user.

The money is in the information and the data to send the information. Look at streaming services, streaming makes more money than selling a movie once to a user and while at it consider how many versions of a movie Hollywood has sold; theater, Beta, VHS, DVD, Laser-disk, HD-DVD, Blue Ray DVD, your copy in the cloud, on demand and streaming. Same for music. Many apps (programs) must have periodic payments "to stay current" or stay supported.

The real issue in my opinion is that a set of Scott World Wide Catalogs is not worth the price as a one year purchase be it print or digital.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
5448 Posts
Posted 03/22/2022   11:16 am  Show Profile Check revenuecollector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add revenuecollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I must disagree here. Amos is following the 21st Century internet business model. Owners of information are stopping selling the information and are now "renting" the information to users such that the owners can generate recurring payments every selected time period. This generates more product revenue than just selling the basic item one time to each user.

You misunderstand my point. It's not necessarily that Amos has adopted a subscription-based model. As I mentioned, if it were at a reasonable cost, a subsciption model *IS* viable. The problem is that Amos has adopted a subscription-based model that is tantamount to a huge price increase. Simply taking the one-time purchase cost and now making it an annual cost for the same amount shows they either haven't thought this through or they want to increase the price dramatically, in which case it will fall flat on its face.

As has historically been the case with this company, they perceive everything through an old-world lens; an antiquated mindset. Instead of embracing methods and models that would bring new customers into the fold, they go the opposite direction, thus forcing them to ratchet up costs to an ever-diminishing audience. It's not sustainable.

One thing I forgot to mention: on the old platform, you could at least buy the major countries ala carte. Those appear to have fallen by the wayside, at least for the time being. You are limited to complete "volumes" only, which as PostmasterGS correctly states, defeats the entire purpose.
Edited by revenuecollector - 03/22/2022 11:17 am
Pillar Of The Community
United States
5919 Posts
Posted 03/22/2022   11:21 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Cjd to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I wonder how many "captive" buyers Amos has, among public libraries and other institutions, along with dealers that buy at least every other year, if not yearly? Amos may feel that they'll lose most of those "guaranteed" hard-copy sales to a too-cheap $200/yr subscription? Many libraries have fully embraced digital versions of their holdings.

Amos isn't promising continuous updates throughout the year. When the next physical edition prints, the digital edition gets updated. Granted, that may change once they get a comfort level with this process.

They say that there are no plans to dispense with the paper editions. I hope that's true. I imagine I'll continue to buy a Classic Specialized every other year for the foreseeable future.

Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
35525 Posts
Posted 03/22/2022   11:54 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Do you build a master PDF index so it can search all your PDFs at once?
Don

Is that difficult Don? (For a basic desktop user)

I can search my 1000 folders in 1 hit, but not my pdf's
It would be great especially the 4 volumes of Turkiye Postmarks.

Edited by rod222 - 03/22/2022 11:55 am
Learn More...
United States
10547 Posts
Posted 03/22/2022   12:00 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Rodney,
It is not that hard but I am working on a video tutorial on how to do this, I have most of the script writen for the tutorial and just have to record it. I'll let you know when it is done (hopefully in next few weeks).
Don
Page: of 6 Previous TopicReplies: 89 / Views: 4,840Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.53 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05