Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Wespex Auction Is Online

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 73 / Views: 3,691Next Topic
Page: of 5
Valued Member
Learn More...

United States
357 Posts
Posted 03/25/2022   10:42 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add widglo46 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Schuyler Rumsey now has their next auction at Wespex available for viewing online at their own website. I don't see it on SAN yet, but I presume it will show up there soon.
The number of ex. Richard Celler lots in the 1851-1857 1 and 3 section is very impressive, and will keep me busy right up until the sale.
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
2567 Posts
Posted 03/25/2022   11:32 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add txstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, its good to see Dick's material coming out. It was all sent off by last summer to Rumsey, so I was beginning to wonder when it would come out.

This is a good time to start a 3c 1851-57 plating collection, by getting a lot of great reference material to get started. I hope that a few new collectors are so inspired.

There is also quite a bit of useful 1c material as well.

https://www.rumseyauctions.com/auctions/sale/101
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by txstamp - 03/25/2022 11:34 am
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1712 Posts
Posted 03/25/2022   12:34 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add James Drummond to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Boy, somebody really made a big mistake with identifying the silver tax stamp in lot #2149.

See if you can tell what the error is.

https://www.rumseyauctions.com/auct...pter/101/152

Jim

Pillar Of The Community
United States
547 Posts
Posted 03/25/2022   12:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wtcrowe to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Scott RG27 with a catalogue value of $2,250. Overprint appears to have lines 11mm apart.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7936 Posts
Posted 03/25/2022   3:15 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It has already been fixed.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2945 Posts
Posted 03/25/2022   7:43 pm  Show Profile Check eyeonwall's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add eyeonwall to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Can someone fix the title - it is Westpex not Wespex
now off to look at the catalog
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2945 Posts
Posted 03/25/2022   8:01 pm  Show Profile Check eyeonwall's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add eyeonwall to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Lot 1873 does not appear to be on its original liner backing - it is sloping down to the right compared to the liner it is on. They hedge by just saying "on adhesive backing"
Pillar Of The Community
United States
963 Posts
Posted 03/25/2022   11:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mootermutt987 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Like many of the others have said, the 1c and 3c 1851 (and 1857, too, I guess) lots look impressive!!! Plenty of that material in the cover section, as well!!

And all the Liberia anyone could ever hope to see. If that's your area of interest, you need to be at Westpex.

Overall, it looks like a decent sale!
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
357 Posts
Posted 03/28/2022   10:57 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add widglo46 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The sale is up on SAN now.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
8304 Posts
Posted 03/28/2022   12:28 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Harmer-Schau has some great sales. They seem to make a conscious effort to have something for everyone at all price points with nice variety and some really good postal history write-ups. The auction seems to match the feel of the show by having broad appeal. I always look forward to these auctions.

I was a bit surprised that the Celler material is within reach for most collectors and that is great to see. For some reason I imagined a catalog full of pricey rarities and eye candy ala Siegel.

Should be fun!
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2567 Posts
Posted 03/28/2022   12:56 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add txstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
the Celler material is within reach for most collectors

Dick had some very nice items, but, his major focus was on plate reconstruction of the 3c & 1c stamp of 1851-1861 and also early revenue stamp plating. He had a voluminous amount of these stamps as a result. Also, for plating, you don't want to always pay top dollar for grade 100J stamps, as you will quickly go broke trying to get 200-different of those per plate, usually. Thus, there will be many within the price range of many collectors, I hope.

Realize that what you are seeing is after many/most key reconstructions were sold off to collectors and friends of Dick's, per his request. Dick wanted his work to be continued, particularly in areas with reconstruction work currently on-going, so to speak. In most, if not all cases, the right people got the key platings to continue work.

There is still plenty of very fun material left for the Rumsey sale, however, and I do hope that people enjoy it.
Valued Member
United States
312 Posts
Posted 03/28/2022   1:57 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ioagoa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
All --

On the 1851 3-cent stuff in the Rumsey sale -- Lot # 1367 -- despite having a PF Cert opining that the color is the scarce to rare "1856 orange brown" -- it cannot be so, as it is cancelled with a blue Philly cds -- not used after January 1854?

Very surprising that the PF would have made a mistake like this? There is no provenance identified for this strip -- so I presume that it is NOT ex-Celler.

If the color actually is OB (which is impossible to determine from a scanned image?), then perhaps the strip is a "plate 2L OB" -- which is still a scarce to rare color. In any event -- based on the blue Philly cds -- it cannot be "1856 orange brown".

Regards // ioagoa
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2567 Posts
Posted 03/28/2022   2:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add txstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I doubt that this was Dick's.

Dick was not a 'color' collector, although he did have friends who sometimes colorized stamps that he had.

FWIW - I seem to recall the time frame of Plate 2L OB as being around mid 1852.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
494 Posts
Posted 03/28/2022   4:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Rhett to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Rogdcam, the Westpex auction is a Schuyler Rumsey sale.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
8304 Posts
Posted 03/28/2022   4:57 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Rhett - My bad! I meant Schuyler Rumsey. My entire day has been manure.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
494 Posts
Posted 03/28/2022   7:25 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Rhett to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Rogdcam, no problem just wanted to clarify for the thread record. I share your good thoughts about the Rumsey auction house. Hope tomorrow is a better day for you!!!'
Page: of 5 Previous TopicReplies: 73 / Views: 3,691Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.22 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05