Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Looking For Help On French Perfins

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 388Next Topic  
Valued Member

Brazil
25 Posts
Posted 05/20/2022   3:58 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Klauskla to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello

I got this french stamp ( semeuse 10c ) with a very beautiful perfin. I looked through the internet, but couldn't find anything like this.
Does anyone can help me with information from ancoper?

Thanks a lot!

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
2479 Posts
Posted 05/21/2022   11:02 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add chasa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It is pictured in the ANCOPER French precancel catalog 3rd ed on page XXIII, but unfortunately I could not find it in the perfin listings.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
35465 Posts
Posted 05/22/2022   04:49 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
It is pictured in the ANCOPER French precancel catalog 3rd ed

A Perfin in a precancel Catalogue, that's unusual.
Could not find any image of that Catalogue via Google

Edited by rod222 - 05/22/2022 04:51 am
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
1736 Posts
Posted 05/22/2022   11:00 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add 22crows to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Possibly French perforated stamp catalogue 3rd edition 2007

https://www.thematimbres.com/PBSCPr...tmID=2600882
Valued Member
Brazil
25 Posts
Posted 05/22/2022   11:28 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Klauskla to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you guys!
But I don't know if I got it right... There is photo of this perfin in the ancoper catalogue, but it isn't listed?
I don't want to buy a catalogue, since I just have quite a dozen stamps with perfins I couldn't identify.
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
6453 Posts
Posted 05/22/2022   12:23 pm  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
What are we actually looking for? I read "SJJ" - is that right? Or "JJS"?
Edited by GeoffHa - 05/22/2022 1:26 pm
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
35465 Posts
Posted 05/22/2022   7:44 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the Catalogue link.

I am reading this as a mixed "MS" but it could be anything.

Valued Member
Brazil
25 Posts
Posted 05/23/2022   05:53 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Klauskla to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Actually I was thinking it means an old german "M" or "W"...
That would make it weird on a french stamp, wouldn't it?

Valued Member
Austria
243 Posts
Posted 05/24/2022   05:22 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add tommtomm to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Nice, how many letters came up here.
But this is just a nicely written "M" - nothing more.
It was used by the well known journal "Le Matin" which was published in Paris until 1944.

If you take a look at the header, you know where the "M" comes from.

Edited by tommtomm - 05/24/2022 05:24 am
Pillar Of The Community
France
2243 Posts
Posted 05/24/2022   06:13 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add vayolene to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

(not mine)
Edited by vayolene - 05/24/2022 06:23 am
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
35465 Posts
Posted 05/24/2022   08:12 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Nicely solved !
That was a tricky one indeed.
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
6453 Posts
Posted 05/24/2022   09:46 am  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Le Matin didn't survive its collabo years, publication ceasing abruptly in 1944.
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
1736 Posts
Posted 05/24/2022   10:28 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add 22crows to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Just for interest - from a Siegel Auction

FRANCE, 1905, "Le Matin" Newspaper Pigeon Post. Thin paper message sent by carrier pigeon from aboard the Ariane off the coast of France to Cherbourg whereby the message was removed from the pigeon's leg and placed in a small envelope attached to a specially prepared "La Poste par Pigeons" post card, franked at Cherbourg and sent via regular mail to Paris

http://stampauctionnetwork.com/Y/1059/6280.jpg
Valued Member
Brazil
25 Posts
Posted 05/24/2022   11:06 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Klauskla to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks tommtom and vayolene! You nailed it!
My guess was also right, that letters from "Le Matin" are the old german letters.
Valued Member
Brazil
25 Posts
Posted 05/24/2022   11:10 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Klauskla to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
And the story about the pigeon post is great. Deep inside I alwsys thought pigeon post was a fairy tale! :)
  Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 388Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.2 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05