Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Anyone Remember USPS "E-Com" From The Early 1980s?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 575Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
43 Posts
Posted 07/19/2022   1:35 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Capthickey to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
E-COM, Electronic Computer Originated Mail, began on January 4, 1982, and ended on September 3, 1984. The service was intended to allow business mailers across the US to take advantage of electronics to ensure delivery of hard-copy mail to any address within the contiguous 48 states within two days. OMG!

This letter was addressed to me in July 1984 when I was early in my career as an economist. The enclosure is a promotion for 5-1/4" floppy discs!

Send note to Staff

Valued Member
United States
43 Posts
Posted 07/21/2022   4:13 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Capthickey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Well, I guess it didn't ring a bell! Not a lot of collecting value, but an interesting piece from a failed experiment.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
4584 Posts
Posted 07/21/2022   4:58 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Appears to be very similar to the earlier and overlapping use of "Mailgram" by Western Union:

Many modern facets of postal history take a while to catch on, often 50 years or more ... note the Prexies and the Liberty series. Permit mail, even permits many decades older still have only a small following. Part of that is the lack of readily available information to the collector, catalogs, lists, etc. Lacking stamps, and often postmarks, it is unlikely modern permits will ever get much following, regardless of their low survival rate.
Pillar Of The Community
575 Posts
Posted 07/21/2022   6:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add patg23 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have a similar here somewhere (without contents).

Nice that yours has contents and signs on the back of going through the mails.

As john said, interest takes time (It's only been 40+ years ). Years from now someone will be looking for an example to exhibit for some types on postal history.

pat
Pillar Of The Community
575 Posts
Posted 08/08/2022   01:15 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add patg23 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Found them again. It seems they did still have the contents. Used 1983 & 1984
Appears I never throw anything away.
pat

Edited by patg23 - 08/08/2022 01:16 am
Pillar Of The Community
United States
596 Posts
Posted 08/08/2022   4:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add modernstamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I've never seen them before. Very interesting, thanks for sharing!
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
9034 Posts
Posted 08/08/2022   6:27 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
E-COM services began on January 4, 1982, and the original rates were 26 cents for the first page plus 2 cents for the second page for each transmission. In addition, there was an annual fee of $50 for the service. During its inaugural year of service, 3.2 million E-COM messages were sent, and more than 600 customers submitted applications for the service. Federal law prohibits the USPS from subsidizing a mail class by overcharging the users of other mail classes; however, E-COM was heavily subsidized from its introduction. During its first year of operation, the USPS lost $5.25 per letter. The House Government Operations Committee indicated that "The Postal Service deliberately manipulates the release of information about E-COM in order to make E-COM appear to be more successful than it really is."
  Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 575Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.16 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05