Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Odd Shapes On Stamps (Including Hexagons)

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 143 / Views: 24,472Next Topic
Page: of 10
Rest in Peace
Canada
6750 Posts
Posted 06/04/2010   6:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Puzzler to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Well, not really odd I suppose. A hexagon shaped object, a piece of art by Victor Vasarely. His work has been aligned with Op-Art.

Wikipedia article on him: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Victor_Vasarely

Send note to Staff
Edited by Puzzler - 03/06/2011 4:04 pm

Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
29882 Posts
Posted 06/04/2010   7:27 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Nice crisp scan Puzzler

This may be the same gentleman that is one of the most prolific stamp designers, I know him as Victor Vaserhelyi.
I'll have to do some research.

A variation on a theme............

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
576 Posts
Posted 06/04/2010   7:32 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add cgrotha to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
For whatever reason I sure find this art more attractive that the latest US Modern Art series attempted to communicate.
Rest in Peace
Canada
6750 Posts
Posted 06/04/2010   8:22 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Puzzler to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes I believe he is the same chap. I think I remember something somewhere saying he does or did design stamps. His daughter now sells or archives his work.

It is a not disturbing to the eye kind of representation of an alternate view of things I think.

Rest in Peace
Canada
6750 Posts
Posted 06/04/2010   8:23 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Puzzler to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Rod, the scan, only 200 dpi, sorry, but at 100%, no reduction.
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
29882 Posts
Posted 06/04/2010   9:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Puzzler, I am miffed, I cannot find anything on Vasarhelyi, yet I know the name so well. I am wondering now, if perhaps I am getting
confused with the Austrian prolific stamp designer, George Hamori
who has completed a lot of work for Australia.

That design of Vasarhelyi, the "bubble" effect, is the latest design in shower cubicle headers, apparently the steam rises, condenses
on the internal "bubble" surface and drips down back into the shower,
saving the room at large from becoming damp and moist.
Rest in Peace
Canada
5701 Posts
Posted 06/04/2010   10:11 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add BeeSee to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Rod, maybe you mean G. L. Vasarhelyi? He has designed many stamps, including some quite awful ones for Tuvalu:

Puzzler, that green orange ball has a great 3d effect - it would make a nice Picture Postage issue!
BeeSee in BC
"The Postmark is Mightier than the Stamp"
http://brcstamps.com ---- BNAPS, RPSC, APS
Rest in Peace
Canada
6750 Posts
Posted 06/04/2010   10:52 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Puzzler to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Maybe if I ask nicely . . . .nah.
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
29882 Posts
Posted 06/05/2010   02:13 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yep, that must be him BeeSee, "G.L" Vasarhelyi

Apparently on of the most prolific designers in the world,
I have never become enamoured with any of his designs,
they all look a little "made with computer software" types.

I know he did a wide angled set for Saint Helena.

I see what you mean with the Tuvalu issues, a bit ordinary,
yet the subjects could have been treated with greater effects.
Cannot locate any Aussie issues as yet, but will keep up my research.

Late Note: Found the blighter!...designer of Dune Stamps

Edited by rod222 - 06/05/2010 02:27 am
Rest in Peace
Canada
6750 Posts
Posted 06/05/2010   08:10 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Puzzler to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
And the interesting India mathematical society stamp with all of the number combinations and shapes inside shapes.

Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
29882 Posts
Posted 06/05/2010   11:05 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Nice Stamp Puzzler! not spied that one before.

Kind of a metaphor for stamp collecting, we all stand on
the shoulders of others as we pass on the knowledge of philately.
Rest in Peace
Canada
6750 Posts
Posted 06/05/2010   11:35 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Puzzler to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
notice the little man that makes up the triangle is copied (I think) from Da Vinci's Vetruvian Man:

Courtesy of Wikipedia;
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vitruvian_Man
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
29882 Posts
Posted 06/06/2010   12:54 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I know Leonardo's design as "Divina Proportione" (1509)

The only stamp I know with this image (but do not own it)
is 1998 Romania (Michel 5363)
ackn info: Mette Heindorff.

Pillar Of The Community
Australia
1487 Posts
Posted 06/06/2010   04:29 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add 22crows to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
If you are interested in the Vetruvian Man on stamps, here are a few others to look out for:
Bulgaria 2001 22 st SG4351
Italy 1938 50 c SG538
5 lire SG549
Italy 1992 3200 l SG2175
Japan 1979 50 y SG1527
United Nations 1972 15 c SG228
United Nations Geneva 1972 80 c SG G24
and a very interesting variation -
Mexico 1977 1p 60 SG1396
and I'm sure there others
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
1487 Posts
Posted 06/06/2010   04:45 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add 22crows to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
For more odd shapes (impossible shapes) on Swedish stamps check out this site:

http://www.sandlotscience.com/Eyeon...tersvard.htm
Rest in Peace
Canada
6750 Posts
Posted 06/06/2010   04:51 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Puzzler to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I just had to go look for the Mexico stamp.

The Treaty of Tlatelolco is the conventional name given to the Treaty for the Prohibition of Nuclear Weapons in Latin America and the Caribbean

Photo courtesy eBay seller stampshouse.

Now that I see all these and look at Da Vinci's drawing again I notice that the man on the Indian stamp is not drawn exactly correctly. His legs are touching the ground. The intent to give a nod to natural proportions is there though I think.
Page: of 10 Previous TopicReplies: 143 / Views: 24,472Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 3.45 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05