Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Stamp Community Forum
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Collecting by Engraver  

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 235
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
4373 Posts
Posted 05/14/2011   9:11 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add lithograving to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I remember reading a lot of negative comments about this Shakespeare stamp in Linn's shortly after it was issued in 1964.
Many complained the design was too cluttered and some didn't like the tinted paper, others said it didn't look like Will.
Actually no one even today really knows for sure what Shakespeare
looked like.

Scott 1250

Designed by Douglas Gorsline
Engraved by Charles Brooks (vignette) William R Burnell (lettering)

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
7400 Posts
Posted 05/14/2011   9:13 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add nethryk to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Perf14 - My approach is to only buy the stamps that I like, and not to worry about completion for any particular engraver. Fortunately, there are many attractive yet also inexpensive engraved stamps out there to collect, such as the four beauties lithograving has just posted above.

lithograving - Sure thing: The Arizona Statehood stamp was engraved by Arthur W. Dintaman (vignette) and G.A. Payne (lettering). Nice memory about the Winslow Homer stamp; it is among the most popular USA stamps of all time. I plan to include images of other great stamps engraved by Bower, Brooks and Dintaman in future posts.
Edited by nethryk - 05/14/2011 9:13 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
4373 Posts
Posted 05/14/2011   9:34 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add lithograving to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I plan to include images of other great stamps engraved by Bower, Brooks and Dintaman in future posts.

Yes that would be great. The BEP certainly had a lot of talented engravers during the fifties and sixties.

One thing nethryk, what model of scanner do you have and at
what DPI do you scan?
Your scans are so very sharp and almost life like.
Absolutely superb.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
5691 Posts
Posted 05/14/2011   10:03 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Cjd to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Super stuff! I'm not really sure why I've been skipping this thread, as the general topic is right up my alley. The Topical forum went crazy over the last month or two...that's my excuse.

I massage all of my scans so that they fit within the forum size limit (so that they are always around, as long as the forum is around), but this thread is causing me to rethink that.

Very nice work!

C.

More, please...

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
5185 Posts
Posted 05/14/2011   10:10 pm  Show Profile Check stallzer's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add stallzer to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Dante Alighieri 700th Anniversary
San Francisco, CA - July 17, 1965 - 115,340,000 issued

Designer: Douglas Gorsline - Engraver: A. W. Dintaman

Edited by stallzer - 05/14/2011 10:11 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
5185 Posts
Posted 05/14/2011   10:22 pm  Show Profile Check stallzer's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add stallzer to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Experimenting with 2400 SPI scan.

20 Black Post Office Truck
Washington, D.C. - Nov.30, 1951

Pillar Of The Community
Canada
4373 Posts
Posted 05/14/2011   11:46 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add lithograving to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Nice scans stallzer, I like the Dante Alighieri stamp because it
has crisp, clear engraving.

If I try scanning at 2400dpi it takes forever & usually freezes.
Maximum for me is 1200dpi for engraved stamps but I can go down to
600 or 800dpi for photogravure or offset stamps as well as
for covers and post cards.
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
687 Posts
Posted 05/15/2011   05:36 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Perf14 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for your comments, nethryk, you certainly know the topic inside out and any advice is greatly appreciated and valued. I wasn't even hoping of completing any one particular engraver, but to aim to have representative examples from each engraver even if it just consisted of an issue or two. So, this thread is an excellent source of information, impossible to find anywhere else without hours/days/weeks of searching.

Thanks heaps to all the posters.

I love the Winslow Homer painting, he has captured the sudden surge of the boat as it pickks up more wind beautifully, down to the slight broach of the rudder. Fantastic! I notice that the stamp is a very faithful reproduction of the painting...except for the boat's name on the stern, I wonder why the engravers left that out.

alex
Edited by Perf14 - 05/15/2011 05:38 am
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
5185 Posts
Posted 05/15/2011   05:46 am  Show Profile Check stallzer's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add stallzer to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The SCF Community is in for a real treat now that Nethryk has joined us. As all will see his knowledge and passion for the beautiful engraved pieces is second to none.
Pillar Of The Community
7400 Posts
Posted 05/15/2011   07:48 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add nethryk to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
lithograving - According to Gene Hessler, author of The International Engraver's Line, J.A.C. Harrison (1872-1955) never worked for the printing firm Harrison & Sons, which was founded circa 1790. The precocious and brilliant J.A.C. was first employed by Waterlow's, then went free-lance around 1900, did some work for Perkins, Bacon, and ultimately, with offers from ABNCo. and Australia in hand, chose instead to return to Waterlow's as chief portrait engraver.

Thanks for your compliments on the quality of my stamp images. My scanner is an Epson Perfection V300 Photo, operating in professional mode. I generally scan individual engraved stamps in 48 colors at 1200 dpi (stepping down to 600 dpi for covers and larger pieces.) Then I edit each image in Picasa3 with the straightening and cropping tools, and finish by using the shadowing tool to tune the image to match the original stamp's color depth as closely as possible before saving to file.
Pillar Of The Community
7400 Posts
Posted 05/15/2011   07:57 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add nethryk to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Perf14 - You're most welcome. I'm generally limiting my posted images on this thread to a maximum of six per engraver to keep the amount of time I'm spending hunched over my scanner at least half-way reasonable. After all, I am also still posting images on a couple of other websites.
Pillar Of The Community
7400 Posts
Posted 05/15/2011   08:00 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add nethryk to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
stallzer - Thanks.

And nice stamps! Let's keep these gorgeous stamp images rolling right along.

- nethryk
Edited by nethryk - 05/15/2011 08:12 am
Pillar Of The Community
7400 Posts
Posted 05/15/2011   09:06 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add nethryk to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Another worthy Italian stamp engraver (incisore) is Mario Colombati. Over some 20 years, starting in the late 1940s, Colombati produced a number of fine stamps for both Italy and the Vatican City. Here are images of some examples of his engraving work.

- nethryk

Garibaldi, after an equestrian statue by sculptor Rafaello Romanelli, issued on December 24, 1957, Scott No. 734.

Peasant woman, dams and map of Sardinia, issued on February 1, 1958, Scott No. 738.

Eleonora Duse (18581924), actress, issued on December 11, 1958, Scott No. 760.

After the Battle of Magenta (June 4, 1859), detail from 1861 painting by Giovanni Fattori, issued on June 27, 1959, Scott No. 779.

Michelangelo Merisi da Caravaggio (1571-1610), artist, issued on November 25, 1960, Scott No. 811.

Gian Domenico Romagnosi (1761-1835), philosopher, economist and jurist, issued on November 28, 1961, Scott No. 847.

Pillar Of The Community
Canada
4373 Posts
Posted 05/15/2011   1:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add lithograving to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
and finish by using the shadowing tool to tune the image to match the original stamp's color depth as closely as possible

nethryk

I've used Picasa 3 for straightening but haven't used the
shadowing tool. Guess it's time to experiment.

My scanner is a Epson 4490 Photo which is I believe similar to your
V300.

Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1084 Posts
Posted 05/15/2011   4:20 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add cynical to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
There is a line in the movie The Russia House (based on a John Le Carre book of the same name) where boozy Barley Blair (played by Sean Connery) says something like "not even in his class". This thread reflects that and again I can't thank you guys enough for your descriptions as I will be able to search for things in this thread for years to come.

I must also mention as an aside another item that pertains again to the above-mentioned book and movie. You know how something new usurps something old. The protagonist in The Russia House book was called Goethe but in the movie his name was changed to Dante. So now Dante as depicted by the stamp above and The Russia House Dante sort of teeter-totter in my mind.
Page: of 235 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
What's on your wall? Check out our handmade, screen printed stamp art. Perfect for your collector room, office and more. Buy online today!Bid Online on Live auctions. Stamps, Coins, Fine Art, Jewelery, Collectibles, Antique, Furniture, Wines & Spirits, Collector Cars, Fashion.Promoting the integrity of internet philatelic dealers. Please join us so buyers can buy with confidence.Genuine H.E. Harris products and quality postage stamps at www.whitman.com. POSTAGE STAMPS, STAMP ALBUMS & ANNUAL SUPPLEMENTS!United States Postal Service, Now on eBay!
New Forum TopicsRecently Active Forum Topics
  Unknown stamps Bulgaria
  Is this a real Sc. 68
  Not for sure what this is help!
  J100 missing 'D' in DOLLAR on lower left in position 90 both plates 34283 and 35282
  Filling another hole w/ Scott #317 Pair
  A neat cover to share
  A couple interesting covers
  Please change my avatar to this image
  3c 1851 Plating Help (probably plate 6-8), please
  Has Anyone Used Redpoint Auction Platform?
  1914 documentary with forged Narcotic overprints
  Is this a tab of a postal stamp?
  USS Brooklyn Photo Cachet
  Could not find this one in StampWorld
  eBay's answer to Prime Day - $25 Off $119+ Today
  Saudi Arabia - Hejaz overprint 1920's
  Info for this stamp?
  finding all Scott numbers for a single illustration
  Cover and Invitation From His Excellency
  Cartel 241 Cert Shenanigans
  NFLD Scott 262 - Boy do I ever need your guys opinion
  US Stamp Give-Away (July 2018, #2)
  American Prisoner in London 1777
  Dennison hinges, package for sale
  Stamp Mount Sizing Gauge

Cover and Invitation From His Excellency
  What Was in YOUR Mailbox Today??
  Unknown stamps Bulgaria
  USS Brooklyn Photo Cachet
  A neat cover to share
  Ebay Seller- 'Item Not in Stock'
  do these worth anything?
  scott #63 color variations
  Is this a real Sc. 68
  US Stamp Give-Away (July 2018, #2)
  British Colonies - Revenue Cancels on high value stamps
  Fate of an unisssued stamp from San Marino
  1914 documentary with forged Narcotic overprints
  Stamp Mount Sizing Gauge
  What Did You Do Philatelically: Today or Recently?
  Not for sure what this is help!
  Latin Species Names For Plants & Animals
  Cartel 241 Cert Shenanigans
  My first APS stampshow
  Another difficult 1c Franklin to plate
  Filling another hole w/ Scott #317 Pair
  1c 1851 Plate 1-Late Stamps
  What does it take to use postage stamps?
  Monaco Stamp Engravers
  J100 missing 'D' in DOLLAR on lower left in position 90 both plates 34283 and 35282

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.77 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05