Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Collecting by Engraver  

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 236
Pillar Of The Community
7505 Posts
Posted 05/09/2011   11:25 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add nethryk to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I will conclude this mini-survey of Albert Decaris's work with images of a couple more stamps depicting ships, designed and engraved by this French master.

- nethryk

Genoese felucca, issued by France on March 16, 1957, Scott No. B311, Y&T No. 1093.

Etienne Regnault, Le Taureau, and the coast of Reunion, issued for use in Reunion, a department of France, on October 3, 1965, Scott No. 356.

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
4387 Posts
Posted 05/10/2011   4:37 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add lithograving to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Arne Kühlmann was a superb engraver of many Danish stamps.
When he first started engraving in 1974 he only worked on a few
because Slania was still engraving the majority of Danish
stamps but within a few years Kühlmann did all most of them.

I don't have Scott numbers for these only Michel.

Michel 660

Michel 661

This closeup shows the fine detail.

Edited by lithograving - 05/10/2011 5:32 pm
Pillar Of The Community
7505 Posts
Posted 05/10/2011   5:17 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add nethryk to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
lithograving - Excellent choice. Here are images of four more fine stamps engraved by Arne Kühlmann. This Denmark-America semi-postal ships set was issued by Denmark on January 22, 1976, Scott Nos. B49-52, Facit Nos. 636-39.

- nethryk

Viking long-ship Skuldelev I

Emigrant steamer Thingvalla

Transatlantic ocean liner Frederik VIII

Training-ship Danmark

Pillar Of The Community
Canada
4387 Posts
Posted 05/10/2011   5:25 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add lithograving to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Nice nethryk. I also have those and most Danish from the
fifties to the eighties and many from Greenland.

I was really attracted to these stamps at the time,
naturally due to their engraving.
My only complaint would be their rather small format.

Do you have any additional info about Kühlmann ?
What was the last stamp he engraved?
Is he even still alive?
Pillar Of The Community
7505 Posts
Posted 05/10/2011   5:40 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add nethryk to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Vittorio Nicastro (1916-?), an Italian artist and engraver, produced a number of beautiful stamps from the mid-1950s to the mid-1970s. Here are images of some examples of Nicastro's engraving skills.

- nethryk

Paulina Borghese as Venus, by Venetian sculptor Antonio Canova (1757-1822), issued by Italy on July 15, 1957, Scott No. 724.

St. Francis of Paola, issued by Italy on December 21, 1957, Scott No. 732.

Giovanni Fattori, self-portrait, issued by Italy on August 7, 1958, Scott No. 747.

Aeneas fleeing with father and son, by Raphael, issude by Italy on April 7, 1960, Scott No. 795.

Il Gattamelata, bust by Donatello, issued by Italy on May 30, 1970, Scott No. 1015.

Loggia of St. Mark's Campanile, Venice, issued by Italy on September 26, 1970, Scott No. 1020.

The Three Graces, by Antonio Canova, issued by Italy on October 13, 1972, Scott No. 1076.
Pillar Of The Community
7505 Posts
Posted 05/10/2011   6:16 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add nethryk to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
lithograving - Thanks. I don't have any biographical information about Arne Kühlmann. I do know that he was still engraving for Denmark in 2006, as he is credited for some work on the three stamp New Carlsberg Glyptotek Centenary litho & engraved set issued on June 7, 2006, Scott Nos. 1354-56. I think I remember that he wrote an article about engraving a couple of years ago; I'll look for it in my clippings files. For sure I haven't heard that he is dead! - nethryk
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
4387 Posts
Posted 05/11/2011   7:01 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add lithograving to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The following is an article from the January 1989 issue
of PFC Journal, Danish Post.

Here is a brief summary of the development of engraved stamps
featuring Arne Kühlmann's Danish Agricultural Museum stamp.

Michel 953

The first wavy-line stamp was designed by J. Therchilsen
and issued on 22 July 1905 Until 1933, the wavy-line stamps were printed by the Copenhagen printer H.H. Thiele.
Then, Post- og Telegrafvæsenet (Post Denmark's predecessor) took over.
At the same time, the method of printing was changed to steel engraving.

The original engraving was made by Johannes Britze which were later
modified by Arne Kühlmann for the changes in value.

****CORRECTION****
The same design is still in use which makes it I
believe the longest running same design definitive.

Apparently the oldest series are Norway's "Post Horn" stamps
http://stamps.mybalconyjungle.com/d...vy_line.html

Michel 198

Edited by lithograving - 05/11/2011 7:37 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
4387 Posts
Posted 05/11/2011   7:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add lithograving to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Arne Kühlmann's first effort was this
1974 Tivoli Gardens issue.
The engraver said it was one of the best stamps he's done.

Pillar Of The Community
USA
9741 Posts
Posted 05/11/2011   7:17 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add philb to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I collect Italy to around 1960..how could I have been ignorent of Senor Nicastro ??? second...how do I get in contact with the 3 graces ?
APS 070059 Life Member International Society of Guatemala Collectors I.S.G.C. #853
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
4387 Posts
Posted 05/11/2011   7:41 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add lithograving to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
how do I get in contact with the 3 graces ?

Yes they certainly have fine engraved comely figures, don't they?
Pillar Of The Community
USA
9741 Posts
Posted 05/11/2011   7:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add philb to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Beautiful scans all of them....have to admit I never paid that much attention to the Danish numeral with wavy lines before !!
APS 070059 Life Member International Society of Guatemala Collectors I.S.G.C. #853
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
615 Posts
Posted 05/11/2011   8:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Dave9911 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
There are some amazing stamps in this thread. Nice.
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
4387 Posts
Posted 05/11/2011   8:15 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add lithograving to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
have to admit I never paid that much attention to the Danish numeral with wavy lines before

Well Phil, no wonder since you've been paying too much attention to
those Three Graces.
Pillar Of The Community
7505 Posts
Posted 05/12/2011   12:03 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add nethryk to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
AHEM! Aglaea ("Splendor"), Euphrosyne ("Mirth"), and Thalia ("Good Cheer") asked me to send their kindest regards to all of their fans here at SCF.

Now, moving right along: Over a stamp engraving career spanning some 30 years, Jean de Vos produced some outstanding stamps for Belgium. Here are images of several of them from my collection.

- nethryk

Canon Pierre-Joseph Triest, issued on May 19, 1962, Scott No. 581.

Staircase, Affligem Abbey, issued on May 27, 1965, Scott No. 631.

Jules Destrée, issued on November 16, 1963, Scott No. 600.

The Travelers, issued on March 15, 1969, Scott No. 715.

Adoration of the Shepherds, by Hugo van der Goes, issued on November 17, 1973, Scott No. 859

Abbey of Notre-Dame, Orval, issued on June 26, 1971, Scott No. 807.
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
1361 Posts
Posted 05/12/2011   04:27 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add AnthonyUK to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Beautiful examples nethryk. I particularly like Staircase, Affligem Abbey.
Page: of 236 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2018 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.79 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05