Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Scott Hingless National Album Qna

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 21 / Views: 7,715Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar Of The Community
750 Posts
Posted 09/27/2010   12:57 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Edwin to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I'm wondering if they still make and sell this Scott Hingless in a national album for USA still...

I fell in love with it on sight as a national album...

Send note to Staff

Learn More...
United States
4742 Posts
Posted 09/27/2010   1:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add kirks to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I don't have a definitive answer (pun intended), but I don't think so.

I believe the Schaubek Hingeless (sold by Amos) have replaced the true Scott National. The Schaubek uses the Scott National design, layout, and numbering system.

KirkS
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
4106 Posts
Posted 09/27/2010   1:27 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stampvirgin to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
very nice..
I want one
Pillar Of The Community
750 Posts
Posted 09/27/2010   1:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Edwin to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
so do I stampvirgin, I was away from home when the auction ended I got sniped....

have not seen one since.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
6752 Posts
Posted 09/27/2010   5:59 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add khj to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Scott no longer makes the hingeless version of the National Album, nor the Platinum Album.

I believe 2005 is the last year they produced a supplement for the hingeless National Album. But, best to check with Amos to confirm.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
6752 Posts
Posted 09/27/2010   6:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add khj to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
If you are buying used hingeless Scott Nationals, you want to be a little careful. There were some problems on older production runs that didn't show up until years later. In particular, the adhesive used for the mounts on some production runs would "brown out" if the albums were stored in far less than ideal conditions. It won't damage the stamp, but it is an eyesore. From my observations, it only affects a small number of albums from the 1970s. Unless you are getting the album for free, I would make sure you are getting a set that doesn't have that problem as the cost of the album+shipping is not trivial. Many collectors would buy the current set and then add supplements as they came out. So what you want to look at are the some of the pages in the first volume, not the later sections/volumes (which may be supplements).
Pillar Of The Community
750 Posts
Posted 09/27/2010   9:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Edwin to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
KHJ, I didn't know about that browning of the mounts THANKS! it looks so nice and official with that binder I cant believe there are not more knockoffs of it.

my USA coverage in my Scotts international is incomplete, and a little of it is missing so I was thinking of scrapping the USA portion of Scotts International and adding a collection of Scotts national, then as I was just educating myself on the types and I saw the picture above and fell inlove with the setup.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
1947 Posts
Posted 09/28/2010   06:09 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rohumpy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I notice that in one of the images, there are pre-cut mounts for placing the stamps.

I once used a Lighthouse hingeless which had pockets built into the pages. There was no mount as such. It has to be a more expensive way of making the album, but it looked great. I had the Great Britain hingeless. The only drawback was putting a variety in the album and making it look good. But I suppose that also applies to the Scott hingeless, too.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
4106 Posts
Posted 09/28/2010   08:14 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stampvirgin to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I am currently working with a older Harris Liberty album and a Harris WW album that did comm. The original two I bought in the 70's.
So they are missing ALOT of stamps..
I recall the albums were much cheaper back then.
Now I am looking for b.o.b. pages (complete) for the US.
Where to find them is not easy.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
4106 Posts
Posted 09/28/2010   08:33 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stampvirgin to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Actually I am thinking about buying a better WW album.. Any suggestions?
Is the Harris Statesmen Deluxe album any good, what do you guys use?
Pillar Of The Community
United States
5880 Posts
Posted 09/28/2010   08:55 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add smauggie to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I am seeing the light, which means that I will eventually become a World-Wide stamp collector at some point. I really like www.stampalbums.com. It means I can pick and choose which pages to have in my album. My album can then just consist of those pages I have stamps for. This alleviates the depressing sight of empty pages and the accompanying need to fill them (note: I said alleviate, not cure).

I just print them out with my cheapo printer onto 32# nice white letter-size paper. I then use showgard to mount the stamps and slip the pages in page protectors. The page protector means I do not have to worry about punching and reinforcing all those holes in the album pages themselves(okay, I am just lazy and cheap).

The resulting album is one whose pages are easy to turn, and whose page margins never get stained.
Learn More...
United States
4742 Posts
Posted 09/28/2010   2:20 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add kirks to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
smauggie, Good tip about putting the album pages inside sheet protectors.

Pillar Of The Community
750 Posts
Posted 09/28/2010   2:45 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Edwin to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Well, for me I still love the Scotts International, I don't get depressed when I see all those empty spaces, I see those designs I don't have and get excited and say wow I want those!!
I also bought used albums off eBay and noticed their really are NO problems with the punched holes only in the first 3 to 4 pages I had to repair or reinforce, otherwise all 450+ pages are SOLID all the way to the last page, and mine are early prints of the books seem from what I've found somewhere near 1973 they reprinted on much heaver paper, from that date on so if you have a choice go later edition for thicker paper, unless you want less binders on the shelves then go early for thinner. (Note I have a volume 2b (1/2 of volume 2) that a 1973 print which is the same thickness as my entire Volume 2 (a&b), I did a page count newer version includes some extra blank pages but its all in the thickness... (get out of the gutter)

anyway, I lost my train of thought...
Pillar Of The Community
750 Posts
Posted 10/07/2010   02:33 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Edwin to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
has anyone bought a SCHAUBEK hingless album from Amos? I might put it on my wish list if they are ok?

I'm wondering how easy they are to use (stamps in/out) how clear the plastic is, any comments complaints suggestions...

O and if you have one close up of the hingless window in action (top load side load??)
Pillar Of The Community
United States
527 Posts
Posted 10/07/2010   08:08 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add fredcdobbs to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I like my plain ole National, but the Schaubek is down right sexy and very pricey. At around $1500 complete and about $50 a year for supplements, like most beauties she is high maintenance. I wish I could tell you about them but alas out of my round steak and potatoe budget. I can only admire from afar.
United States
0 Posts
Posted 04/05/2013   4:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jrbrady46 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Please review the rules.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 21 / Views: 7,715Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.22 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05