Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Need Help With Chinese Stamps, Please.

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 19 / Views: 5,328Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member

France, Metropolitan
6 Posts
Posted 10/09/2010   10:59 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add vega to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi everybody ,

Can anyone tell me what are these stamps end where I can find them in the Scott catalogue.

Thanks a lot .

Send note to Staff

Learn More...
United States
4702 Posts
Posted 10/09/2010   11:17 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add kirks to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello Vega:

I'm sorry, but I know nothing of Chinese stamps. But SCF is a great place, full of friendly and knowledgeable folks. Someone will have an answer for you soon.

While you're waiting, please go to the Introductions forum and post a note there about yourself so everyone can get to know you.

Welcome to SCF.
KirkS
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
Netherlands
249 Posts
Posted 10/09/2010   11:23 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Tinus_NL to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
They look like the 1938 Sun Yatsen issue, although these shouldn't be cut like that. Could then be the non-perf war issue (1943-44) but I can't find a non-perf $5.00 stamp. Someone with a better idea of Chinese stamps can surely help you better than I can.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
6744 Posts
Posted 10/09/2010   11:39 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add khj to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Welcome to Stamp Community Forum, Vega!

The pic is too small for me to type it, but if it is unwatermarked type III, then it is probably the known printer's waste for that issue -- characterized by the fact that they are IMPERFORATE. Scott's editorial policy is that they do not assign catalog numbers for "printer's waste".

Still, a nice stamp to have in your collection. And, it's ORANGE!

k
Edited by khj - 10/09/2010 11:41 am
Pillar Of The Community
United States
6744 Posts
Posted 10/09/2010   11:49 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add khj to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
If you look in the Scott catalog, there is a footnote after China #363 that mentions the printer's waste.
Valued Member
France, Metropolitan
6 Posts
Posted 10/10/2010   2:58 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add vega to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks all for your answers. I get the footnote after China #363 :)
It seems to be the correct reference for this stamp.

There is no information about the center error of the second stamp. I don't know if this error often happened or if it's something rare. Is there another catalog that could help me concerning errors subject ? or what is your opinion about that ?

Thanks again for your answer, in particular khj ... yes it's ORANGE lol

Cheers
Pillar Of The Community
United States
6744 Posts
Posted 10/10/2010   3:27 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add khj to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Printer's waste are stamps that were rejected by the printer because of production problems. You will note that in both stamps, the portrait is poorly centered in the oval. The printer pulled these sheets and didn't bother perforating them. When the printer doesn't catch the error, completes production, and it makes it through to the post office and gets sold over the counter, then it is accepted by EFO collectors as a "legitimate error". I know, it sounds strange, because a production error is a production error. However, many catalogs, such as Scott, refuse to assign catalog numbers to printer's waste. There are even cases in which Scott originally assigned a catalog number, and then removed the catalog number after the error was deemed printer's waste -- in other words, it was determined that the error stamps were not obtained through purchase through the post office, but by "some other" means. There is an ethics issue involved, which is why so many major EFO dealers/collectors refuse to openly buy/sell printer's waste, although they might own some.

As far as I'm concerned, your stamp is certainly a keeper, even if not accepted/priced by the editors of the catalog. It's a great conversation piece, and, it's ORANGE!
Edited by khj - 10/10/2010 3:30 pm
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
29882 Posts
Posted 10/10/2010   7:27 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

For the Gibbons tribe:
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2757 Posts
Posted 10/10/2010   10:22 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add warrehouse to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Ma's Illustrated Catalogue of the Stamps of China, indicates tha this is Ma 1005. The shift is not noted but it is noted that this stamp was not offically issued without the surcharge.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1947 Posts
Posted 10/11/2010   06:18 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rohumpy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello, vega, and welcome. SCF is a great place for stamps and info. Someone here always knows the answer to a question.
Pillar Of The Community
China
1313 Posts
Posted 10/11/2010   11:17 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ZhangCheng to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Mike, I can not ID this imperforate stamp, and can not find out its information in the Ma's 2010 Chinese language edition. The prototype/normal of this imperforate stamp looks like Ma's #437(Scott #361), what about your opinion?
Pillar Of The Community
China
1313 Posts
Posted 10/11/2010   11:22 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ZhangCheng to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
vega,

Below it is an auction ended at half hour ago:
http://www.zhaoonline.com/detail/au...detail.shtml
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2757 Posts
Posted 10/11/2010   9:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add warrehouse to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have done further reading, Ma's has no indication of a fully imperforate stamp mentioned of this design or variation of this design.
Pillar Of The Community
China
1313 Posts
Posted 10/11/2010   10:41 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ZhangCheng to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Mike, thanks for the clarification.
Edited by ZhangCheng - 10/11/2010 10:42 pm
Valued Member
France, Metropolitan
6 Posts
Posted 10/14/2010   04:23 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add vega to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi :)

Another mystery fore me

What is this cover ? it isn't mentionned in the scott...
I try to find information on the net but nobody knows what this cover is.
However it seems to be a commemorative cover because the cover looks like the stamps who are "proclamation of the commune" .....

Someone has an idea about that ?
Khj ? it's not orange but .....

Pillar Of The Community
Australia
3547 Posts
Posted 10/14/2010   05:18 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add tonymacg to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It's a First Day Cover for the 90th Anniversary of the Paris Commune set, of 18 March 1961, postmarked at Beijing.

What is the difficulty about it?
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 19 / Views: 5,328Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.32 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05