Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Canadian Hidden Dates & Designer's Initials

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 209 / Views: 33,369Next Topic
Page: of 14
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
5020 Posts
Posted 11/12/2010   4:58 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add lithograving to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I've found some mention of hidden dates on Canadian stamps in previous posts but not much.
When I first learned of this many moons ago I had fun in finding them on all the stamps I had and as every new stamp came out the first thing I did was to search for the date.
Anyway I figure it should be fun to show them all especially the engraved ones.
Not every stamp from 1935 on has them but there are some stamps which should have them but I can't find them, so perhaps some forum member can help me locate it.
Scott Monthly had a good article about hidden dates & designer's initials in their January 2010 issue.

Lets start off with the Air Mail Special Delivery ones.

Scott CE1 1942

Scott CE2 1943

Not only was the value re-engraved but also the date.

Send note to Staff
Edited by lithograving - 10/24/2019 2:06 pm

Pillar Of The Community
Canada
5020 Posts
Posted 11/12/2010   5:02 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add lithograving to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Scott C9 1946

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by lithograving - 10/24/2019 2:10 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
531 Posts
Posted 11/12/2010   5:05 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Moonbird to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
29888 Posts
Posted 11/12/2010   5:47 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Nicely done LG
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
5020 Posts
Posted 11/12/2010   5:56 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add lithograving to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
If the date was part of the design then usually there was no hidden date added such as for example the ones below.

If someone can find a hidden date in the ones above then please let me know but I'm not holding my breath.
Edited by lithograving - 10/24/2019 2:16 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
5020 Posts
Posted 11/12/2010   7:16 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add lithograving to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
CANADA
Scott 275

Scott 276

Edited by lithograving - 10/24/2019 2:22 pm
Learn More...
United States
4704 Posts
Posted 11/12/2010   7:16 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add kirks to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Great post, litho.

Thanks,
Kirk
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
5020 Posts
Posted 11/12/2010   8:25 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add lithograving to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Rod and Kirk for your encouragement.

Since Moonbird has been kind enough to provide a link to another interesting date " variety" we might as well jump ahead to 1978

CANADA

Scott 723

British American Bank Note printed it first combining engraving & photogravure. The copyright symbol + date is on the grain elevator door running vertically.

Canadian Bank Note reprinted in December 1978 but re-engraved and combined with lithography/offset. Copyright symbol + date is on the licence plate.

Scott 723A

Unitrade calls 723A a variety whereas I would call it a version. Actually 82 milion of this "variety" was printed but only 8 million of the original version.

Edited by lithograving - 10/24/2019 2:30 pm
Pillar Of The Community
750 Posts
Posted 11/12/2010   8:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Edwin to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Litho this is great info, I love this kind of hidden stuff... I didn't even know those were on the airmail!
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
5020 Posts
Posted 11/12/2010   8:37 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add lithograving to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Edwin, actually it took me awhile to spot the one on the 7c airmail. It's so bloody small.
I agree with you it's a lot of fun especially when they're hard to find.
Some are quite obvious though to the naked eye.
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1084 Posts
Posted 11/12/2010   8:40 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add cynical to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Absolute beautiful works of art as you have presented them Litho. Was aware of the "secret dates" but took them for granted. Your presentation inspired me to enter the location data in my collection spreadsheets for the specific stamps. Thanks
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
5020 Posts
Posted 11/12/2010   10:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add lithograving to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
CANADA

Scott 284

Scott 285

Scott 286

Scott 287

Scott 288

This set always reminds me about the controversy concerning Edward VIII facing the opposite direction of which he was supposed to face.

KGV meanwhile faced every which way.

Edited by lithograving - 10/24/2019 2:44 pm
Rest in Peace
Canada
5701 Posts
Posted 11/12/2010   10:33 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add BeeSee to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Nice to see these again Litho. Nice scans.

Here is KGV.

BeeSee in BC
"The Postmark is Mightier than the Stamp"
http://brcstamps.com ---- BNAPS, RPSC, APS
Rest in Peace
Canada
5701 Posts
Posted 11/12/2010   10:46 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add BeeSee to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The postage dues were a little different... all the digits were separated. 1 and 9 on the top and bottom left and 4 and 8 on the top and bottom right of the scroll.

BeeSee in BC
"The Postmark is Mightier than the Stamp"
http://brcstamps.com ---- BNAPS, RPSC, APS
Pillar Of The Community
United States
519 Posts
Posted 11/12/2010   11:27 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Scouter to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Fantastic post - I'm heading for the album to look for myself.
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
5020 Posts
Posted 11/13/2010   12:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add lithograving to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
BeeSee, how did you get such a large close up on the postage due and show the two sides?
Page: of 14 Previous TopicReplies: 209 / Views: 33,369Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 1.4 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05