Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Martial Arts

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 129 / Views: 29,925Next Topic
Page: of 9
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
4593 Posts
Posted 11/17/2010   4:01 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Bujutsu to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi All

Just wondering how many mambers there are here who collect stamps with a themes of the Martial Arts on them? I know that a lot of people get them confused with regular sports but I am referring to those that show Karate, Judo etc. Countries from all over the world have their own styles etc.

I collect them myself but found out very fast that they are few and far between Canada is also among some of the countries that issued stamps with a Martial Arts theme, those being Unitrade / Scott # 1723-4 and #B9.

I once tried to start a listing for Martial Arts stamps only but that project got way-laid for something else. I still might go back and start from scratch some day but that is not one of the projects on the top of my list.

Chimo

Bujutsu

Send note to Staff

Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
31907 Posts
Posted 11/17/2010   6:27 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Have come across it only once,
a reader on the RCSD newsgroup enquired about 6 years ago.

What is the "etc" in martial arts? Karate, Judo and?............

Being as it is part of the Olympic program, I should think
there are oodlies out there, I did a quick check on my database
and I had 40 issues just on Judo.

Hope that helps.

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by rod222 - 11/17/2010 6:30 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
4593 Posts
Posted 11/18/2010   7:06 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bujutsu to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Rod

I too have that stamp.

In fact, out of all the Martial Arts stamps, it is believed that over 60% of them pertain to Judo alone.

The 'etc' in my posting would refer to stamps with Kyudo, Kendo and so on.

There are a variety of types out there.

Chimo

Bujutsu
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
31907 Posts
Posted 11/18/2010   9:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Well I had better give you a stamp you don't have..
Upper Volta

Kyodo? Kenjo? all over my head, all I know is,
a good Karate chop should be served slightly crispy
with a nice Orange and Oregano marinade.

The jewel in the crown of the Judo stamps, is Spain
Originally withdrawn, it was finally issued a year late
for a contest that never took place.
If you find it on cover, book your passage to the Bahamas!

Pillar Of The Community
Canada
4593 Posts
Posted 11/19/2010   12:35 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bujutsu to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Rod

I have to admit that I do not have that Haitian stamp.

Kyudo is a form of Martial Arts archery. Very few stamps on that style though. If you want to trade both the Belgian and Hatian stamps, just let me know what you want in return. I don't mind the odd dupe and mine isn't cancelled as lightly as yours

All the best

Chimo

Bujutsu
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
1587 Posts
Posted 11/19/2010   7:12 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add 22crows to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Which Haitian stamp? Rodney's stamp is from Haute-Volta (Upper Volta in English, and now known as Burkina Faso).

These sites may be of interest to you, if you are not already familiar with them:

http://web.me.com/ronaldallancharle...tsStamps.pdf

http://www.usja-judo.org/users/judo...ps/Home.html
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
4593 Posts
Posted 11/19/2010   10:04 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bujutsu to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry about that.

I meant to state Upper Volta and not Haiti

Chimo

Bujutsu
Pillar Of The Community
7838 Posts
Posted 03/20/2012   09:56 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add nethryk to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here are images of three stamps depicting Okinawan-style karate, printed by photogravure, and issued by Ryukyu Islands.

- nethryk

Naihanchi stance, issued on October 5, 1964, Scott No. 125.

Makiwara (strengthening hands and feet), issued on February 5, 1965, Scott No. 126.

Kumite (simulated combat), issued on June 5, 1965, Scott No. 127.
Valued Member
Thailand
305 Posts
Posted 03/24/2012   05:53 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add scifi7 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Bujutsu, is Muay Thai considered a martial art?
Valued Member
Thailand
305 Posts
Posted 03/28/2012   10:00 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add scifi7 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Because if it is, this is one of my favourite issues in my collection:

Thailand issue 707, 2nd April 2003, "Thai Heritage Conservation"
Pillar Of The Community
7838 Posts
Posted 04/16/2012   8:05 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add nethryk to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Kendo (Japanese fencing), designed by Shin Isagawa, printed by photogravure, and issued by Ryukyu Islands on July 25, 1962 to commemorate the All-Japan East-West Kendo Tournament held in Naha, Okinawa on July 24 and 25, 1962, Scott No. 104, SG No. 129.

- nethryk

Pillar Of The Community
7838 Posts
Posted 08/17/2012   06:38 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add nethryk to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here is an image of a stamp depicting a judo throw, designed by Saint Pierre and Miquelon artist Rolande Ruel, engraved by Claude Jumelet, and issued by SPM on March 4, 1989 to commemorate the 25th anniversary of judo competitions there, Scott No. 513. Bonuses: Lighthouse and flower.

- nethryk

Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
31907 Posts
Posted 08/17/2012   06:45 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Ajman Cat#35 (1965) Judo.
Pillar Of The Community
7838 Posts
Posted 09/24/2012   06:58 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add nethryk to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Kendo and Sakurajima Volcano, printed by photogravure, and issued by Japan on October 22, 1972 to publicize the 27th National Athletic Meet, Kagoshima Prefecture, October 22-27, Scott No. 1129.

- nethryk

Pillar Of The Community
7838 Posts
Posted 10/30/2012   08:42 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add nethryk to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Judo, printed by photogravure, and issued by Spain on December 29, 1977 to publicize the 10th World Judo Championships, which were to be held in Barcelona, but were, in the event, cancelled, Scott No. 2077.

- nethryk

Pillar Of The Community
Canada
6525 Posts
Posted 10/30/2012   09:01 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jamesw to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Judo on Monaco SC#593 for the 1964 Tokyo Olympics.

Page: of 9 Previous TopicReplies: 129 / Views: 29,925Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.23 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05