Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Nice Cancel, Slogan Or Postmark?

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 156 / Views: 30,522Next Topic
Page: of 11
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2770 Posts
Posted 08/09/2013   10:37 am  Show Profile Check Nells250's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Nells250 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
521 Posts
Posted 09/13/2013   12:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Zuzu to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I was pretty pleased to receive this postmark in today's office mail, even if it is just a tiny bit cut off at the top.

Then I realized that Omaha was just taunting me!

Look what it's nasty ol' spray cancel did to this beautiful Hampton, NE, postmark!

Poor little Hampton. It never stood a chance.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2770 Posts
Posted 03/07/2014   3:01 pm  Show Profile Check Nells250's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Nells250 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
6127 Posts
Posted 03/08/2014   05:07 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stallzer to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Dinner ?

Wartime slogan, save your Bones.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
953 Posts
Posted 03/08/2014   09:05 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DonSellos to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Just read this thread from post 1 to the end and was surprised to see that no one posted the ubiquitous biplane and "Airmail Saves Time" cancellation from the 1920s forward. Here's a page of them from my Cancels on Stamps collection:

Don

Pillar Of The Community
United States
953 Posts
Posted 03/08/2014   09:23 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DonSellos to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
One of my all-time favorite cancels on stamps, (at least to date), comes from my Germany collection and its WW II semi-postals. Here's a scan of Germany Sc B291 with an almost perfect CDC from Heidelberg canceled on March 12, 1945. This stamp was canceled less than two months before Germany's surrender in an area that was about to be occupied by the U.S. Army. My question about this stamp has always been whether it was a a legitimate postal cancellation or done by a opportunistic, stamp collecting U.S. soldier? Whatever the case, it remains one of my favorite canceled stamps:

Don

Edited by DonSellos - 03/08/2014 09:27 am
Bedrock Of The Community
United States
12128 Posts
Posted 03/08/2014   10:13 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wt1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
You do have to wonder about the legitimacy of the cancel since it reads 1-2-3-4-5-6-7.
Bedrock Of The Community
United States
12128 Posts
Posted 03/08/2014   10:20 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wt1 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Just read this thread from post 1 to the end and was surprised to see that no one posted the ubiquitous biplane and "Airmail Saves Time" cancellation from the 1920s forward.

I've posted this in another thread, but I've always been fascinated by this pair of "Airmail Saves Time" slogan cancels from Philadelphia as it seems the older postmark (1940) has the more modern plane pictured on it and the later postmark (1941) features the bi-plane:

Edited by wt1 - 03/08/2014 10:21 am
Pillar Of The Community
United States
953 Posts
Posted 03/08/2014   12:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DonSellos to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
You do have to wonder about the legitimacy of the cancel since it reads 1-2-3-4-5-6-7.

wtl:

You are the first to ever point that out to me. I can't believe I have had this stamp for at least 10 years and never noticed the numeric sequence before! Sure looks suspicious! Might have been a soldier with a "liberated" canceling device and looted stamps, or maybe even a German postal clerk looking to make some items more salable to collectors now that the war was obviously coming to its end.

But then if not contrived, it's a truly serendipitous occurrence.

Don
Pillar Of The Community
United States
953 Posts
Posted 03/08/2014   12:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DonSellos to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I've posted this in another thread, but I've always been fascinated by this pair of "Airmail Saves Time" slogan cancels from Philadelphia as it seems the older postmark (1940) has the more modern plane pictured on it and the later postmark (1941) features the bi-plane:

wtl:

Yup! Makes a person wonder alright. But then to many people an airplane is just an airplane. Those cancels are only about two months apart and both appear to be done at the same station (#3)? Maybe in the 1941 cancellation they had two cancelers running at one time and only one new slug showing the newer aircraft, which is a passable rendering of the then current Boeing 307 Stratoliner.
Edited by DonSellos - 03/08/2014 12:19 pm
Valued Member
United States
232 Posts
Posted 03/08/2014   1:52 pm  Show Profile Check DC3's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add DC3 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
A "howling canid" pictorial add-on to a MPP postmark (Mailer's Postmark Permit, see USPS Form 3615).
Coyote maximum card, with a Zazzle personalized stamp.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3624 Posts
Posted 03/08/2014   2:06 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Partime to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Los Banos, CA.

Per Wiki:
The name Los Banos is Spanish for "the baths", and was originally spelled Los Baños. It is named after a spring that feeds natural wetlands in the western San Joaquín Valley.[3] Its official spelling is without the eñe, and signs do not insert the tilde above the n. It can be pronounced either as if the eñe were present ("los banyos"), or as it is spelled (an anglicised "loss bannos").

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3624 Posts
Posted 03/08/2014   4:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Partime to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I always liked this one. Does anyone know if the stamp is supposed to have the extra marking outside the border in the top left? (Re-Entry? Don't think so.)

Pillar Of The Community
United States
953 Posts
Posted 03/08/2014   6:31 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DonSellos to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
You gotta love that town's name! Great cancel Partime, wish I had one like it in my Cancels Collection. Can't comment on the re-entry question as I have zero knowledge in that area of stamps.

Don
Valued Member
Canada
7 Posts
Posted 03/08/2014   7:38 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add CanadianBeavers to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This one gave me a chuckle; North Pole, AK. Interestingly enough the town of North Pole is a town of about 2,000 that have Christmas decorations up all year, but is nowhere near the true North Pole.

Page: of 11 Previous TopicReplies: 156 / Views: 30,522Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2020 Stamp Community Forums
It took 4.41 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05