Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Help On Poland Stamps

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 84 / Views: 12,613Next Topic
Page: of 6
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
35190 Posts
Posted 01/16/2017   03:33 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Lots of meaty information.
Thank you very much for your time and efforts.

Pictormark = Pictorial Postmark

Sc#2920 1989
(Not mine)

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by rod222 - 01/16/2017 03:33 am
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
35190 Posts
Posted 01/16/2017   7:31 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Sc#236 1927 Wawel Castle at Cracow.

Was there a redrawn issue for the 40 grozsy issue?
There seems subtle differences between 2 stamps I have.

The lines in the zero of "40" look different as well.

Edited by rod222 - 01/16/2017 7:32 pm
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
35190 Posts
Posted 01/16/2017   8:12 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Anyone care to share their genuine Sc#77 or #78 Gniezo provisionals?
So we can use as forgery ID.

Top example is member cjd's example.

The lower stamp has a more rounded hole, in the leg of the "5"

Edited by rod222 - 01/16/2017 8:14 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
554 Posts
Posted 01/16/2017   11:03 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add YeaPolska to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The Wawel castle stamp is part of the 1925-27 definitive set of 11 stamps. Scott 227-237. 7 of them were re-engraved but for some inexplicable reason Scott only lists 4 & gives them separate catalogue numbers whereas all other catalogues list them as suffix's of the main listing.

Now to the stamps in question & well spotted Rod, yes, you have both types of the 40 gr value although the characteristic we look for & which is usually shown in the catalogues is the distance between the top of the spire & the "0". I've marked this on your illustration

Here's the relevant illustration from the 1960 edition of 'Polskie Znaki Pocztowe"

Pillar Of The Community
Australia
554 Posts
Posted 01/17/2017   12:02 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add YeaPolska to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Oh boy, Gniezno provisionals. I posted some info on these a while back.

http://goscf.com/t/42878&SearchTerms=gniezno

I thought that this pretty well covered how to identify these. Yeh, right.

One of the contemporary experts on Poland, Leslaw Schmutz, published a 5-part series on these stamps in "Przeglad Filatelisticzny" in 2003/2004, in which he threw the numbers of the 10fen out the window & instead, concentrated on the SHAPES of the overprint, specifically the inside & outside characteristics of the "0".

He took the last part of the series to discuss & illustrate the various forgeries on the market & wrote in depth about a particular cover that another serious Polish stamp savant displayed as genuine. Leslaw took several pages giving his opinion as to why the stamps were forgeries.

The Union of Polish Philatelists, in it's wisdom, sat on the fence, made no decision, & let the two protagonists fight it out at five paces with tweezers drawn. Now, if two of today's serious Polish philatelists disagree, what hope do we mere stamp collectors have with this issue.

Here's my Gniezno page, still need that 5fen mint & 10fen typo forgery

Edited by YeaPolska - 01/17/2017 12:17 am
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
35190 Posts
Posted 01/17/2017   12:17 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Just a short reply,
Fabulous information. Awesome.
Apologies, I wasn't aware of your previous posting on the Poznan opts.
A lot to keep me occupied for the next few days.

I backed out of an auction on the inverted , thanks to you I feel justified.
The inverted "10" sold for $50 + ship.

Good news on the "re-drawn"

Your posting responses are on a par with "Postmasters" German information.
Amazing knowledge.
Thank you.
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
35190 Posts
Posted 01/21/2017   9:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Oops

Unlisted Scott (Perforate sheet CV $75 / $65 Never hinged $125)
CV Imperforate?

Lovely (Imperforate) Semi Postal. Sc#B29 (perforate)
5th Philatelic Exhibition Warsaw.

Charity portion lies in the selvedge.
The 4 stamps, which could be used individually 2 zloty, sheet sold for 3 Zloty

"Stagecoach and Wayside Inn"
I think the barking dog, and blowing the Posthorn, add audio to the image.

Detail

Edited by rod222 - 01/21/2017 9:10 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
554 Posts
Posted 02/16/2017   08:15 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add YeaPolska to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Bit late on this one. There are actually two types of the 1938 Philatelic Exhibition sheets differing in the distance between the lower border & "Warszawa". The measurements are 8mm & 9mm.

The only catalogues to mention this are the Polish ones & neither type seems scarcer
Edited by YeaPolska - 02/16/2017 08:17 am
Rest in Peace
Netherlands
963 Posts
Posted 02/16/2017   09:07 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Galeoptix to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yeapolska,

strange that two types should exist where only ONE cylinder was involved for both colours!

The Polish handbook of the 1960-ies mention the two types but do NOT mention which of the 8 blocks on the cylinder [2 sectors, 2x2 blocks per sector] would have had the particular type?!?

Page: of 6 Previous TopicReplies: 84 / Views: 12,613Next Topic  
Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.2 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05