Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

World War II - V-Mail

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 16 / Views: 4,146Next Topic
Page: of 2
Bedrock Of The Community
United States
12128 Posts
Posted 01/01/2011   6:45 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add wt1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I was recently browsing an on-line edition of Life Magazine from World War II (1943) and came upon this ad:

http://books.google.com/books?id=Lk...Mail&f=false

I never heard of the concept before so I did a bit more research and came up with this info. and 2-minute newsreel on the subject.

http://postalmuseum.si.edu/VictoryM...index.html#1

This must have been a well-known product in it's day but I only learned about it recently and thought it to be a great piece of postal history.
Send note to Staff

Rest in Peace
Canada
6750 Posts
Posted 01/01/2011   7:06 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Puzzler to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Neat.

I like the Pepsi-Cola ad down a few pages.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
36255 Posts
Posted 01/01/2011   10:29 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Is there any way to save those Life images on HDD?

I have the Life Magazine in question,
but their scans are better.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
2547 Posts
Posted 01/02/2011   12:34 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Russ to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
wt1, thanks for the link. V-mail was such an important morale booster for the servicemen and their loved ones. Many magazine ad from companies were about V-mail.

V-mail letter pack

Outside

Inside

Instructions
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1106 Posts
Posted 01/02/2011   12:37 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add danstamps54 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
WT1,
Thanks for making me feel old!
My dad used to send them when he served in WWII. They are small. Here's what one looks like:

Cover:

The letter was a photostatic copy folded inside:

Dan
Experienced stamps need a home too. I'd rather have an example that is imperfect than no example.
I collect for enjoyment, not investment.
APS Member #223433
Postmark Collectors Club Member #6333
Meter Stamp Society Member #1409
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1106 Posts
Posted 01/02/2011   12:43 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add danstamps54 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
While I was copying away, Russ posted a good example of what V-mail looked like before it was photocopied.

Dan
Experienced stamps need a home too. I'd rather have an example that is imperfect than no example.
I collect for enjoyment, not investment.
APS Member #223433
Postmark Collectors Club Member #6333
Meter Stamp Society Member #1409
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2547 Posts
Posted 01/02/2011   12:45 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Russ to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Danstamps, Thanks these were truly bright lights during a dark time. Many universities are now building collections of these because of the significance. I know the Duke and University of Nebraska both have thousands.
Learn More...
United States
4740 Posts
Posted 01/02/2011   10:47 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add kirks to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Two great examples. Thanks for the scans!

KirkS
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
834 Posts
Posted 01/02/2011   6:34 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add backroads to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

I knew that I had one of these kicking about. Thought you might like to see it as the format is totally different and more whimsical than the ones alteady posted.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
2547 Posts
Posted 01/02/2011   6:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Russ to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
backroads, thanks never seen that one.
Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
36255 Posts
Posted 01/02/2011   7:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

A V Mail Easter Greeting format (Not mine)

Pillar Of The Community
United States
2547 Posts
Posted 01/02/2011   7:06 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Russ to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The V-mail was sometimes referred to as the airgraph service for messages between servicemen and civilians. The message was written onto a special form that was then given an identification number and photographed onto microfilm. The miniature photographic negative was flown to its destination. Sending 1600 airgraphs on microfilm weighed just 5 ounces compared to 50 pounds for the same number of letters. The original was retained by PO so that if they were shot down the message could be resent. The original was eventually destroyed.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2547 Posts
Posted 01/02/2011   7:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Russ to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Commonwealth version (not mine)
to New Zealand

to UK
Edited by Russ - 01/02/2011 7:22 pm
Rest in Peace
Canada
6750 Posts
Posted 01/03/2011   01:23 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Puzzler to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
These are so neat. I really like that girl and the bird love note.

If the original was eventually destroyed then how do you folks have some of these? Were some actually sent on intact?
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2700 Posts
Posted 02/19/2017   2:38 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add littleriverphil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Reviving this older thread on V Mail..

Quote:
If the original was eventually destroyed then how do you folks have some of these? Were some actually sent on intact?

the serviceman probably kept it.
Here are 4 v-mails my mom's brother in England sent their younger brother in 1944
From Lt Donald L Hunter 449th bombardment Sqd to S/Sgt Harold Hunter USMC El Toro and his new wife in Los Angles.

Uncle Don had flown all of his missions by Aug of 44, and decided to stay. His plane exploded on take-off in France March 23 1945. I was born less than two weeks later and have his name. Uncle Harold died 2 years ago, Aunt Laurie is still with us and facebooking at 93 years of age. She sent me these and other letters from Don last summer.

Pillar Of The Community
Canada
6525 Posts
Posted 02/19/2017   11:11 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jamesw to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here's my example of a V-mail cover. No contents, sadly, but does show different style of corner card. Circa 1942, so earlier version than those shown above.

Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 16 / Views: 4,146Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.38 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05